The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Had a family get-together then a few mates & me went out another weekend. Simple. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't really do anything for my 18th, just went out for a meal with my parents which was a bit sad I guess but I enjoyed it. You could always say you want to have a big party when you're 21 instead, some people consider that to be just as big a deal as an 18th, and if you're going off to uni next year you may have made a lot of friends by then who you can invite.
My 18th was on a Monday (college day) and I was busy Tuesday so nothing happened.
My best friend took me out for a meal and that's all
Original post by 300wasps
I've got a few months left before my birthday, but I was just wondering if any of you didn't have an 18th do. And if you didn't, do you feel like you missed out?

My family are starting to talk about it and I don't know how to explain that I don't have anyone to invite. I know that it will disappoint them. So, do you think its worth it to have an 18th inviting people I don't really know and be able to say I had an 18th, or to break the news that i'm a bit of a loser to my family?

I'm in the same position. Mine is coming up in about 3-4 months and I really don't see much point in making a fuss. Whether that's because I don't have many to invite or whether it's because I need to work on the Thursday I don't know.

The biggest decision is whether or not to book the day off...?
Original post by 300wasps
I've got a few months left before my birthday, but I was just wondering if any of you didn't have an 18th do. And if you didn't, do you feel like you missed out?

My family are starting to talk about it and I don't know how to explain that I don't have anyone to invite. I know that it will disappoint them. So, do you think its worth it to have an 18th inviting people I don't really know and be able to say I had an 18th, or to break the news that i'm a bit of a loser to my family?

didn't do any thing for my 18th, partly for the same reasons (I have very few friends), but also I'm much to awkward for parties, I've only ever gotten drunk once (when my dad didn't mix my drink properly lol), I've never been to a party, and tbh my few friends are awkward too... i'm not an entertainer. also i don't feel like it's anything to celebrate... becoming a 'responsible adult' is the last think i want... i don't even feel up to celebrating things like christmas loool
If it helps, I have a Further Maths exam the day after my 18th so I’ll be spending my 18th birthday revising! Woohoo!👍🏼🙌🏼🎊
Reply 47
I only had about 5 friends over for my 18th. The reason being is because they were the people that I hung out with the most during lunch and even if I didn't celebrate my 18th with any friends, I still would have celebrated it with my family. At the time, I did worry about not having enough people turning up, but to be honest, I don't think that it really matters as to how many people come to your 18th.
On my 18th I just went and had a couple of beers with TheLads™, didn't get tooo drunk, it was chill. There's no point trying to do a big thing if you really don't want to/physically can't. You don't even have to go "mum dad I have nobody to invite" just go "mum dad I really want no fuss fam".

I know plenty of people who didn't do a big thing for their 18th, to the point where it's almost abnormal to actually have done something. No feelings of missing out from anybody.
Birthdays are so passé.

And to be honest I find then depressing. Celebrate what? Getting older? Getting closer to death? Looking worse?
(edited 5 years ago)
I spent my 18th in hospital, that doesn’t count as a celebration 😂

It’s totally fine, ultimately it’s just a day. Telling them you’d rather just have family time, or not celebrate it at all is fine.
Original post by FloralHybrid
I spent my 18th in hospital, that doesn’t count as a celebration 😂

It’s totally fine, ultimately it’s just a day. Telling them you’d rather just have family time, or not celebrate it at all is fine.

When it was my 60th, one of my sons called it being in ‘the autumn of my years’. This year, on my 70th, he now calls it ‘the twilight of my years’. Just wondering what he’ll say if I reach 80!
Original post by Seamus123
When it was my 60th, one of my sons called it being in ‘the autumn of my years’. This year, on my 70th, he now calls it ‘the twilight of my years’. Just wondering what he’ll say if I reach 80!

😂😂 Please let us know when that happens!
Reply 53
Haven't had a birthday party since I was about ten and given the choice I'll never have one again.

I went the pub with the lads and my aul fella on my 18th and it was class. I can't be arsed with big dos, just not for me.

Latest

Trending

Trending