The Student Room Group

Should women's sports get as much media coverage as men's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Texxers
No... It's less entertaining. I don't want to watch women's football.

As a woman and massive football fan, women’s football is dire. I wouldn’t care in the slightest if it never aired for a second
Reply 61
Original post by moonwilt
Women's football is at a 'lower standard' because it receives less funding, the players are unable to train as extensively, many players even playing at elite levels have sport as a part-time job because they are paid a fraction of the amount men are.

I’m pretty sure the under 15s which beat the female world champions, the USA, 5-2 don’t get more funding or train more.

As for part time job, they’ve got school Monday-Friday.
I think that feminism is being forced too much in society
So what if women football matches are not televised regularly - it does not make you sexist if you say you would rather watch mens football than womens
People are stressing us out with the added emphasis placed on feminism these days
Womens football is promoted a fair deal though, without actually being very popular at all.
Original post by Zerforax
There is a point that in the short term the interest isn't there and therefore women's sports shouldn't get more coverage.

However it's a bit of a vicious cycle - they're not covered so don't get the exposure and then fans can't watch and therefore don't support them.

You look at someone like Jessica Ennis-Hill or Laura Kenny (nee Trott) who got exposure on a big platform and then more people started taking an interest and following their careers.

Tbh they should put more women's sports on free to air TV and then the interest would grow over time.

You look at tennis as a great example where the women get equal (or closer to equal than any other sport) coverage as the men's and therefore there is more interest in the game today. Who hasn't heard of Serena Williams for example?

BT show the Women's Super League (equivalent to Premier League) and BBC also show it on the red button (apparently)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
No, barely anyone is interested in watching it. Women's sport is already promoted beyond its actual interest level, due to political reasons.

So correct me if I’m wrong which I’m not over 6 million watched the women’s euros in 2017 and a further 8 million on tv and over 12 million tuned in at midnight for the England Lionesses semifinal match in the women’s World Cup
Reply 65
No, women's sports are laughable to watch
Original post by Sophh21103
So correct me if I’m wrong which I’m not over 6 million watched the women’s euros in 2017

For anyone who isn't aware, this 6 million figure is the total for the whole tournament.

El Clasico, a single fixture - about 600 million.

and a further 8 million on tv and over 12 million tuned in at midnight for the England Lionesses semifinal match in the women’s World Cup

It was actually a peak of 2.4m.

In men's football: England vs Germany Euro semi final 1996 - 24m just in England

Quick Reply

Latest