The Student Room Group

Was This Creepy or Am I Sensitive?

I have had numerous men, on anonymous forums (not here,) who I don't know personally (strangers if you will) ask me to video chat with them or give them my Discord account (I don't have Discord, anyway) I either block them straightaway or tell them I don't even have Discord.

I remember some weird guy reached out to me today on a different Reddit account and he kept asking me questions, such as how old I was, my skin colour and they also asked me if I wanted to video chat with them, even though, I didn't know them and nothing in any of Reddit posts indicated that I wanted a relationship with anyone, he even asked if I was a virgin, I said I was a virgin and he responded with "Lol, how you are a virgin at 20 years old?" I'm sorry but I'm not interested in casual s** or hook-ups, but even so, it seems like some men are utter weirdos.

I can't remember the guy's username but he was Australian and had negative karma, it's always guys that write creepy Reddit posts, have negative karma, incels or have disgusting predatory behaviour that approach me. Did I do the right thing by not engaging with these creeps? Why did they even want to video call me or want my Discord? Can anyone shed some light?

I don't have Reddit anymore, I want to delete all my socials, including TSR, because I hate having to delete with people who make uncomfortable and unsafe.
Reply 1
I have had similar experiences in the past where random men approach you and the first question all of them ask is, "Are you in a relationship?". It's like the only reason a girl exists is for you to have sex with her.

You did the absolutely right thing by blocking them and not giving them your discord or any other personal social media. In future, if you encounter such people do not engage with them.

I will give you top three reasons which I think is why men act that way:
1. They are bored old men who don't have anything better to do, so they harass women to feel satisfaction about their own inferiority.

2. They just like to prey on unassuming females and will slowly start getting more invasive and will probably try to control your life.

3. In most extreme cases, they could be possible scouts for finding women for conversions or trafficking cases
This is not to scare or intimidate you, but sadly it is the truth.
Not to say, that all men are the same but these creepy ones can potentially be dangerous.
If you don't feel safe on the platforms, then it is your decision to not be on them but don't leave a platform just because you potentially do not want to deal with those creeps.

P.S. reddit is not a place to be if you are interested in those stuff.
Reply 2
Yes, this is very creepy and you did the right thing by not engaging
Reply 3
Creepy af but unfortunately overly common. Far too much scu think its acceptable to sexually harass strangers online because they feel big behind a keyboard, its revolting. alas, shy of going offline the only things you can do are block/report or ignore and kbo.
Reply 4
Original post by Napp
Creepy af but unfortunately overly common. Far too much scu think its acceptable to sexually harass strangers online because they feel big behind a keyboard, its revolting. alas, shy of going offline the only things you can do are block/report or ignore and kbo.

I feel like people don't have any regard for people they meet on the internet, especially vulnerable people, they make me feel bad if I don't reciprocate.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like people don't have any regard for people they meet on the internet, especially vulnerable people, they make me feel bad if I don't reciprocate.

What do you mean 'vulnerable'? I mean i dont disagree but in fairness to anyone, its hard to imagine theyd be able to know anybodies personal circumstances and whether theyre vulnerable or not, not that it makes a difference they should be civil regardless.
Reply 6
Original post by Napp
What do you mean 'vulnerable'? I mean i dont disagree but in fairness to anyone, its hard to imagine theyd be able to know anybodies personal circumstances and whether theyre vulnerable or not, not that it makes a difference they should be civil regardless.

I knew a man that couldn't get any girls in real life, so he would go on the internet and try to get women who had thoughts about deleting themselves and would frequently try to get with those people, because they were easier targets, it's disgusting, but that's the truth of the matter, I feel like he was an anomaly, I'm not saying that guys normally do this, because they obviously don't, but this man did. However, it's more easier to exploit someone that you have met in real life than on the internet.
Reply 7
So many forums, dating sites and social media sites are brimming with creepy pervs.
Quite a few scam artists and criminals too.
Particularly on omegle, twitter, facebook and snapchat.
Reply 8
Original post by londonmyst
So many forums, dating sites and social media sites are brimming with creepy pervs.
Quite a few scam artists and criminals too.
Particularly on omegle, twitter, facebook and snapchat.

I don't know why anyone uses Omegle, I can understand other ones, but not Omegle, you most definitely going to meets some creeps on Omegle and you don't know if their recording the conversation that you're having with them or not.
Reply 9
Original post by naancy54
The subjective nature of determining whether something feels creepy or sensitive to certain stimuli varies from person to person. What may frighten one individual may seem innocuous to another. Our perceptions can be impacted by personal experience, cultural backgrounds, and individual sensibilities. Factors like ambiance, context, and intent are considered when evaluating creepiness. It's important to rely on your instincts, refrain from dismissing your feelings, and instead engage in open discussions and self-reflection. Explicitly engaging in open discussion, soliciting perspectives from others, and engaging in self-reflection can provide clarity. Recall that what matters the most is assessing whether something feels creepy or not.

I completely agree, it is a case by case basis for such things. In this scenario, you have to go with your gut instincts. If you feel uncomfortable or creeped out, then don't dismiss your feelings. Remember that your feelings are important and that we should talk about them openly.
Unfortunately I think this behaviour is all to common online, I as a guy have experienced countless random people on social media sites send me explicit pictures, messages and invites for seemingly no reason. I think you absolutely did the right by not engaging with these people, they are creeps who should be ignored, by engaging them you are giving them what they want, attention. I personally think that these people are just bored and weird and hide behind a computer screen with nothing better to do than bother other people, if I where you I would continue to block them and if any individuals continually bother you maybe report them to an administrator on whatever site your on, your use of the internet should not be hindered because of a few online weirdos and you have nothing to fear from blocking people, I understand that it can feel really awkward at times, but all things said and done these people can’t really be of any threat to you so I wouldn’t worry about blocking or reporting them. Good luck with sorting this out!
Reply 11
hmm yes..

Original post by Astrocomp
I completely agree, it is a case by case basis for such things. In this scenario, you have to go with your gut instincts. If you feel uncomfortable or creeped out, then don't dismiss your feelings. Remember that your feelings are important and that we should talk about them openly.

Quick Reply

Latest