The Student Room Group

Uni worth going or not?

Do you lot who have went to university think its actually 100% beneficiual to go to university overall or would you recomend another path to take
Original post by Anonymous
Do you lot who have went to university think its actually 100% beneficiual to go to university overall or would you recomend another path to take

Totally depends on what you want to do career wise. Want to be a doctor, scientist, chemical engineer, nurse etc etc 100% uni is the way to go

But want to be a software devloper, mechanical engineer (and some other parts of engineering), accountant etc etc then there are other ways of getting into it without getting into massive debt

Not sure what you want to do yet? then wait until you have a rough idea then see what is needed to get there, then if you need to go to uni then go but if you can go a different path to get there then do that
That's a question you got to ask yourself. Me personally it has been worth it. Not only has it helped with my education, but it's been very beneficial with dealing with my shyness.

It really depends, it seems like you still need to figure out what you want to achieve, once you know just pursue it
Original post by madmadmax321
Totally depends on what you want to do career wise. Want to be a doctor, scientist, chemical engineer, nurse etc etc 100% uni is the way to go

But want to be a software devloper, mechanical engineer (and some other parts of engineering), accountant etc etc then there are other ways of getting into it without getting into massive debt

Not sure what you want to do yet? then wait until you have a rough idea then see what is needed to get there, then if you need to go to uni then go but if you can go a different path to get there then do that

tbh i want to work for a company related to doing marketing or some other financial type of work thats business and economics related or at the end if thats not what i want i want to teach business as a teacher thats why i wanted other peoples opinions
Original post by last_ottoman
tbh i want to work for a company related to doing marketing or some other financial type of work thats business and economics related or at the end if thats not what i want i want to teach business as a teacher thats why i wanted other peoples opinions

First you need to get an idea of what you want to do work wise then, decided between marketing or finance (though finance is too big a area to say that, you would need to choose a more specific initial job within that ie IB, accounts, actuary). You can't really know if you need to go to uni or not until you make that decision

If you want to be a teacher you need a degree
First you need to get an idea of what you want to do work wise then, decided between marketing or finance (though finance is too big a area to say that, you would need to choose a more specific initial job within that ie IB, accounts, actuary). You can't really know if you need to go to uni or not until you make that decision

If you want to be a teacher you need a degree

thanks for the reply and yeah i still am still stuck inbetwwen mainly marketing or teaching marketing but i was advised by my teacher to study the subject at uni and if i want to be a teacher get a degree for that as well but i don't know if i should do so
Original post by last_ottoman
thanks for the reply and yeah i still am still stuck inbetwwen mainly marketing or teaching marketing but i was advised by my teacher to study the subject at uni and if i want to be a teacher get a degree for that as well but i don't know if i should do so

I would look into entry level marketing jobs yourself and see what they ask for (and see if there are any apprenticeships in them) as teachers tend to just push people to go to uni as it looks good on the school if they have lots of students going to uni from their school and a lot of the time they dont know the actual routes into lots of different careers
I would look into entry level marketing jobs yourself and see what they ask for (and see if there are any apprenticeships in them) as teachers tend to just push people to go to uni as it looks good on the school if they have lots of students going to uni from their school and a lot of the time they dont know the actual routes into lots of different careers

All right thanks then madmax ill look well into it thanks for helping me set a bit more of an idea of what i should do i'll look for some aprentaships for marketing too see what they require and out maybe even contact some to see what they would recommend.
Like someone above said, if you have a career in mind like doctor, lawyer, engineer then it's very useful. However my personal experience is that it's not worth it. I'm going to be £54000 in debt and all I've really learned is that I definitely don't want a career in the field of my degree! I don't enjoy student life in the sense that I'm not all that sociable, not interested in clubbing or partying etc and whilst moving away from home was great (I found I adapted to independent living really well) I didn't really enjoy it until I got a house in second year and felt like I really was being independent (I was in halls during first year and it was HELL).

If I could go back to when I left college then I would choose to take a different root- either an apprenticeship or, as I don't have a career path in mind, just any work. I think experience is so much more important than the crap they 'teach' at uni and it's also where a lot of students (especially those who don't have part time jobs) fall down.
If you have a career in mind that requires a degree, then yeah uni is worth going to. But if you’re just going university to follow the trend and waste your time studying a pointless degree then don’t bother.
(edited 6 years ago)
Is a university degree really a prerequisite for a career in any scientific field these days?
Original post by Lessen by Lesson
Is a university degree really a prerequisite for a career in any scientific field these days?

yes afaik and if you want to do research then you'll need a phd too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending