The Student Room Group

What to do after dropping out of school...

I'm currently in year 13 but I am being made to take the rest of the year out due to mental health reasons. I am trying to teach myself the course content at home, however it is most likely that I'll be unable to sit my exams this year. I have received an unconditional offer from one of the universities I have applied to so would it be possible to still go to university next year without sitting my exams? If it is, will not having A levels be problematic in the future? Perhaps it would be better to defer entry and repeat year 13 although I am not keen on the idea. Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation or has any advice?
Original post by Harumble!
I'm currently in year 13 but I am being made to take the rest of the year out due to mental health reasons. I am trying to teach myself the course content at home, however it is most likely that I'll be unable to sit my exams this year. I have received an unconditional offer from one of the universities I have applied to so would it be possible to still go to university next year without sitting my exams? If it is, will not having A levels be problematic in the future? Perhaps it would be better to defer entry and repeat year 13 although I am not keen on the idea. Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation or has any advice?

Slightly tricky. What career do you want? How serious and what are the mental health issues? Generally.

I think you should get your mental health sorted out before you o to uni. Its the worst place to have a relapse. Redoing the year would also let you sort yourself out.

A levels can be handy, but up to you if you want them or not. They are sometimes required for grad schemes. The main thing is your mental health.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Slightly tricky. What career do you want? How serious and what are the mental health issues? Generally.

I think you should get your mental health sorted out before you o to uni. Its the worst place to have a relapse. Redoing the year would also let you sort yourself out.

A levels can be handy, but up to you if you want them or not. They are sometimes required for grad schemes. The main thing is your mental health.

Thank you for your response. I have been forced to take time out due to struggling with an eating disorder which has affected my physical health and from which I am now trying to recover. The course I have been offered a place on is marine biology at Plymouth. I was hoping to eventually pursue a career in academic research. Plymouth wasn't actually my first choice of university and there was a course in Scotland I was very keen on, however given what's happened this year I've been having second thoughts about going so far away which is why I'm seriously considering taking up Plymouth's offer now.

The concerns I have about repeating year 13 next year are that I know A level maths is reforming and I am worried about how much the course will change. At the end of last year I took AS exams in core 1, core 2 and mechanics but I wonder if these will still count after a year. Also, if I did repeat the year I would prefer not to go back to the school I was at as I was very unhappy there. However, I'm not sure where else I could go and what the logistics are of doing half of my A level courses somewhere else as well as how it will affect the UCAS application I have made with the school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending