The Student Room Group

uni 1hr and 20 mins away

Scroll to see replies

There's no place like home
even if I lived on campus I would move out
It seems like quite a draining commute but it is possible. I would live out though.
Original post by man111111
if your uni was 1 hr and 20 mins away from you (by bus and train), would you live at home? If not, how far would you need to be away from uni to stay at home?

Anything above 40 minutes by bus/train and im not going.
I live & go to uni in London - I’m still living in halls. I’d recommend living in halls for first year even if you move home afterwards, because it will be a lot easier to make friends
Reply 25
if your uni was 1 hr and 20 mins away from you (by bus and train), would you live at home? If not, how far would you need to be away from uni to stay at home?

I’m halfway through my first year at uni and I live in Oxfordshire (I’m talking the place with the bushes, horses, farms and where you need a car to drive twenty minutes down the road to get to the nearest corner shop for a pint of milk) and I go to uni in London. On the train it’s about 45 but then travelling in London to get there is like 20 minutes which rounds it up to an hour and five. Sometimes an hour and thirty when it’s rush hour. Then again I go to an afternoon uni so life is pretty bliss at the moment.

Nah, not sure about 'need' as some unis have certain range requirements to guarantee halls accommodation but I wouldn't want to be traveling more than 30mins ideally. Mainly because most social things are near campus as well as lectures to be inclusive.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 27
If you’re going to uni to party and live “uni life” then go in halls because you’ll feel like you’re missing out. But if you’re actually serious about your career and where you want to go in life then you can commute.

My latest train is midnight so I have options if I decide to go out with friends. And the journey is actually super relaxing. It’s great to do your uni work on the journey back too. You can meet friends during the day as well. So really what are you missing? Uni is 9,000 a year. For that I will take a plane to uni if I have to.
Original post by Anonymous
Who tf would spend 4 hours/day commuting

A friend of mine does. Not everyone is ready to leave home nor do you know their circumstances. Uneccessary.
Reply 29
Original post by Salt Queen
My uni was four hours away going there, another four hours back. I had a noon lecture and woke up at 4am with my mum to drive me there, and stayed in campus all day till she was off work, and drove back home and got there at midnight everyday 😓 so glad it's over, I kept throwing up on the side of the road, and the car broke down a few times so I had to sleep overnight by myself in a hotel! 😭

:confused:

An 8 hour commute several times a week?

why on earth would you do this???
Original post by ANM775
:confused:

An 8 hour commute several times a week?

why on earth would you do this???

Dedication and I really don't care if you don't understand because you don't know the details or situation.
Take my advice ... don’t stay at home

NO

Unless your parent is a single parent and you are the only child
Reply 32
Thinking about doing a 3 hour round commute to uni next year (by car). Due to health issues at the moment it wouldn't be sensible for me to live in uni halls. Would this be possible? If I get better i would 1000000% move into halls. Would it drive me mad? Cause if I don't get better that would be a 3 hour round commute for 6 years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending