The Student Room Group

Getting rejected from 4 unis so far..

Hey guys I hope you are well.

I have a serious question to ask anyone that is willing to help me please. So ever since I have made up my mind to do nursing I then took the plunge for the first time and applied to universities. Unfortunately for me its taken a turn for the worse and all unis even the one I hoped I wanted to get into rejected me.

Now as devastating as this is to me all of the unis have said that I do not meet the entry requirements. This was no shocker to me as I did appalling in my GCSES. Nonetheless I am now constantly studying and getting the top grades that is possible.

Currently I am predicted A*AA and I doubt the unis are even looking at this. But I guess the lesson to be learnt here is that I should not have taken my GCSES for granted at the time but I doubt theres much I can do.

Please someone help me out as to what I can do because I was really looking forward to moving on to the next step and now it just seems a stretch to reach my dream goal.

I am still working and going to continue working as hard as I can regardless of the rejections because as unfair and frustrating it is theres not much I can do.

One reason why I took the plunge to apply to uni is for motivation purposes and that as deflating as it sounds and looks just makes me rise higher and above even more to get to my career goal. Hopefully.

I dont have any hope in the last uni and I think sooner or later I will get one more rejection email. But I guess thats better then being apprehensive about actually entering the uni.

So sorry for the long essay but I would appericate any help in this matter. Thank you very much for your time and effort. :smile: .

Scroll to see replies

There is always extra and clearing. Do you have at least a C in maths, English and science? If not then that will hold you back when applying for nursing.
Original post by FutureHistorian
There is always extra and clearing. Do you have at least a C in maths, English and science? If not then that will hold you back when applying for nursing.

Hey thank you for your reply. I do have my English at C grade. My Maths I am retaking so results are pending and my science are C grades too.
Original post by Sadzzyyyy
Hey thank you for your reply. I do have my English at C grade. My Maths I am retaking so results are pending and my science are C grades too.

Well, your grades shouldn't be holding you back. The only other thing it could be is the fact Nursing is very oversubscribed or it could be your personal statement/reference?

I applied for History with poor GCSEs but a great personal statement/reference and I have Russell Group offers. Where have you applied?
Original post by FutureHistorian
Well, your grades shouldn't be holding you back. The only other thing it could be is the fact Nursing is very oversubscribed or it could be your personal statement/reference?

I applied for History with poor GCSEs but a great personal statement/reference and I have Russell Group offers. Where have you applied?

I checked on Track and the responses are all the same. You do not meet the entry requirements for our course. Nothing to do with my PS or reference at all as far as I am aware.

I applied to middlesex, greenwich, LSBU, Herts and city. Everyone rejected me apart from LSBU who I now presume is also going to reject me when they come to my application form.
Reply 5

I suspect a C in maths and English is a pre-requisite for an offer. Have you checked to see if nursing was available via clearing last year? If so this may be an option for you.

In the meantime all you can do is nail those grades. Universities like to see an upward trajectory. Worst case scenario you have to reapply for 2019 entry. If you have the grades though, that will put you in a much stronger position.

Don't give up or get disheartened, there's always a way. Good luck.
I checked on Track and the responses are all the same. You do not meet the entry requirements for our course. Nothing to do with my PS or reference at all as far as I am aware.

I applied to middlesex, greenwich, LSBU, Herts and city. Everyone rejected me apart from LSBU who I now presume is also going to reject me when they come to my application form.

What are your A level subjects? The way it seems is that you got rejected for something that you already have.
You could always try and consult with them, ask for a further explanation as to why they rejected you and explain your situation. Maybe it would be possible to get a short GCSE course that could help you improve (I don't know if its a thing but it sure would be useful). And if not there's always clearing to apply for and you may be lucky :smile:

Good luck.
Original post by 210555
I suspect a C in maths and English is a pre-requisite for an offer. Have you checked to see if nursing was available via clearing last year? If so this may be an option for you.

In the meantime all you can do is nail those grades. Universities like to see an upward trajectory. Worst case scenario you have to reapply for 2019 entry. If you have the grades though, that will put you in a much stronger position.

Don't give up or get disheartened, there's always a way. Good luck.

Hey thank you for your reply. Yes i was looking into clearing to see if that would help. Though I would of love to go to Middlesex uni but I guess that offers off the tables now.

Yes I dont mind reapplying if it helps. I am just going to continue working hard to achieve my maths grade so that I can get to the career goal that I want to be at.

Ive got all the other grades I think its my maths re-sit that putting them off. I have no idea.

I did call Greenwich uni today and they said that they will re-consider the offer as they 'misread' my English qualifications to be a definite D grade. But that was from my GCSES. Ive got a C grade in English.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JaffaNeko
You could always try and consult with them, ask for a further explanation as to why they rejected you and explain your situation. Maybe it would be possible to get a short GCSE course that could help you improve (I don't know if its a thing but it sure would be useful). And if not there's always clearing to apply for and you may be lucky :smile:

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I have phoned up all unis to get feedback and they said to email. I have done that to no avail. I dont mind though. I should have worked hard in my GCSES in the first instance to not fall into this position. Though I am working extremely hard now back in GCSES there was no A or A* to be seen. In fact I remember I was only given a 5% chances of passing my GCSES A*C.

Nowadays though I am thankfully achieving nothing below an A or A*. Which does project that I have changed my thinking.
Thanks for your reply. I have phoned up all unis to get feedback and they said to email. I have done that to no avail. I dont mind though. I should have worked hard in my GCSES in the first instance to not fall into this position. Though I am working extremely hard now back in GCSES there was no A or A* to be seen. In fact I remember I was only given a 5% chances of passing my GCSES A*C.

Nowadays though I am thankfully achieving nothing below an A or A*. Which does project that I have changed my thinking.

Well, it's nice to see someone motivated for their career despite past mistakes. You know there's always internships if nothing works out aha, there's always another option to get to where you want to go :smile:
Last year I applied and got rejected from all as I didn’t meet entry requirements, this year (same qualifications) three have been in touch to ask some questions. Same qualifications, but in my ps I focused on what I have learned from work on how to study etc. Did you address why and how you changed from the bad grades?
Last year I wish I had contacted each uni, and said how much I wanted to go, then asked what I could do. You might have to do a foundation year or an access to HE.

The rejection is a horrible feeling, but don’t let it stop you. contact your unis and ask what you can do, and get your place! I hope it works out for you, fingers crossed for both of us.
Original post by JaffaNeko
Well, it's nice to see someone motivated for their career despite past mistakes. You know there's always internships if nothing works out aha, there's always another option to get to where you want to go :smile:

I really have the heart to be a nurse one day if everything eventually falls into place. Thank you for the reassurance.

The thing is if I was aware of what career goal I wanted to do back in my GCSES I would have worked as hard as I am currently working now it would have made it easier for me today. Nonetheless this path is a struggle to begin with but this is what paves one to be stronger and deal with more serious stuff later on in life.

I know its not the end of the world and I still have the opportunity to reapply(thankfully) I guess I will just continue to push myself as much as I can until I can do no more.

I am not giving up because this is only the beginning.
Original post by cat_mac
Last year I applied and got rejected from all as I didn’t meet entry requirements, this year (same qualifications) three have been in touch to ask some questions. Same qualifications, but in my ps I focused on what I have learned from work on how to study etc. Did you address why and how you changed from the bad grades?
Last year I wish I had contacted each uni, and said how much I wanted to go, then asked what I could do. You might have to do a foundation year or an access to HE.

The rejection is a horrible feeling, but don’t let it stop you. contact your unis and ask what you can do, and get your place! I hope it works out for you, fingers crossed for both of us.

Thank you for your reply. I am just waiting on my last uni which I have no hopes for and then I will alter my PS next year.

I totally agree with you it is a horrible situation to be in however I was always aware due to my terrible GCSES I would not be able to apply to unis anyways. Therefore this year I just took the plunge and just went for it. :smile:

How can I contact the unis if they have already rejected me? Thank you for the reassurance really does mean alot! :smile: Hope the same and more for you too. Good luck to you too.

May I ask you a question please?
Thank you for your reply. I am just waiting on my last uni which I have no hopes for and then I will alter my PS next year.

I totally agree with you it is a horrible situation to be in however I was always aware due to my terrible GCSES I would not be able to apply to unis anyways. Therefore this year I just took the plunge and just went for it. :smile:

How can I contact the unis if they have already rejected me? Thank you for the reassurance really does mean alot! :smile: Hope the same and more for you too. Good luck to you too.

Yeah I was too, I don’t have the ucas points so any who use that as the first judgement would throw me straight out. If you email the admissions email address they tend to respond pretty quickly, usually just takes a day! If you just explain your situation and what you’re doing about it they might even change your offer.

Ask away 😊

What are your GCSE grades and which one(s) are you retaking?
Original post by cat_mac
Yeah I was too, I don’t have the ucas points so any who use that as the first judgement would throw me straight out. If you email the admissions email address they tend to respond pretty quickly, usually just takes a day! If you just explain your situation and what you’re doing about it they might even change your offer.

Ask away 😊

I was trying to do that with Greenwich uni but then gave up as the email kept on bouncing. I phoned them 3 times today. I dont want to seem really desperate.

Thing is my UCAS points from last year is 735 I got AAB last year. This year so far I have got 504 points with the predications of A*AA. So I think its got to do with my GCSES.

On my application form I only put my GCSE English and maths from my secondary school and then I put down what I am currently doing.

When I called up Greenwich uni earlier on today they did state that they thought I was currently resitting both my English and Maths because of the D grade from my secondary school. Yet last year I managed to get a C grade in English. Do I still have hope for this uni? Or is it too late? Because they did say they wanted proof(Emailed me in the holidays) but I missed the deadline(1st January 2018.)

When I phoned them for the second time another lady told me theres is no point in submitting the proof considering that I have already been rejected. I am getting mixed messages here and therefore really confused.
Original post by ageshallnot
What are your GCSE grades and which one(s) are you retaking?

GCSE English Lang- E
GCSE English Lit- D
GCSE Maths- G
GCSE Textiles- B
GCSE Arabic- A
GCSE Science (Additional)- C
GCSE Science(Core)- C
OCR Nationals ICT- C
GCSE RE- F

I did tell you they were bad. I am not going to justify anything because its my own fault. I had the brains but too bad I did not understand until today on what significance GCSES actually have on your career goals.

I am only retaking Maths.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey guys I hope you are well.

I have a serious question to ask anyone that is willing to help me please. So ever since I have made up my mind to do nursing I then took the plunge for the first time and applied to universities. Unfortunately for me its taken a turn for the worse and all unis even the one I hoped I wanted to get into rejected me.

Now as devastating as this is to me all of the unis have said that I do not meet the entry requirements. This was no shocker to me as I did appalling in my GCSES. Nonetheless I am now constantly studying and getting the top grades that is possible.

Currently I am predicted A*AA and I doubt the unis are even looking at this. But I guess the lesson to be learnt here is that I should not have taken my GCSES for granted at the time but I doubt theres much I can do.

Please someone help me out as to what I can do because I was really looking forward to moving on to the next step and now it just seems a stretch to reach my dream goal.

I am still working and going to continue working as hard as I can regardless of the rejections because as unfair and frustrating it is theres not much I can do.

One reason why I took the plunge to apply to uni is for motivation purposes and that as deflating as it sounds and looks just makes me rise higher and above even more to get to my career goal. Hopefully.

I dont have any hope in the last uni and I think sooner or later I will get one more rejection email. But I guess thats better then being apprehensive about actually entering the uni.

So sorry for the long essay but I would appericate any help in this matter. Thank you very much for your time and effort. :smile: .

How much work experience do you have? Although the gcse's could be part of the issue, some universities might have a minimum amount of experience before they'll consider interviewing you as it's that competitive.
Original post by claireestelle
How much work experience do you have? Although the gcse's could be part of the issue, some universities might have a minimum amount of experience before they'll consider interviewing you as it's that competitive.

Thank you for your reply. I have 100 hours of work experience(last year) as part of my course in a nursery.

I am currently volunteering in a hospital which I have been working for since last year April.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending