The Student Room Group

Laptops for uni

Would an iPad Pro or MacBook be easy to use in terms of printing and other purposes using university facilities?
Original post by Samstew101
Would an iPad Pro or MacBook be easy to use in terms of printing and other purposes using university facilities?

Depends on the configuration of the network. Most libraries have an e-print option which is non-OS specific.

Again, poor choice in computers! 🙀 lol. But yes I expect any laptop will be fine for that purpose.
Reply 3
Original post by Liamw1998
Again, poor choice in computers! 🙀 lol. But yes I expect any laptop will be fine for that purpose.

What would you suggest then?
What would you suggest then?

Something non-apple! Haha. You’re paying a lot of money for specs that can be found much cheaper elsewhere. There’s a huge variety of laptops you could choose instead.

If you want to buy something from apple then that’s fine but it’s whether you’re happy paying a lot more money to have an apple logo imprinted on it
Reply 5
Original post by Liamw1998
Something non-apple! Haha. You’re paying a lot of money for specs that can be found much cheaper elsewhere. There’s a huge variety of laptops you could choose instead.

If you want to buy something from apple then that’s fine but it’s whether you’re happy paying a lot more money to have an apple logo imprinted on it

Recommendations?
Reply 6

Macbook!
MacBook would provide the widest compatibility with their systems but iPad would also work.

I have both and find the MacBook works best for all things but for the option of quickly printing something then depending on what it is then the iPad can work just as well
Reply 8
Original post by Fresher18
MacBook would provide the widest compatibility with their systems but iPad would also work.

I have both and find the MacBook works best for all things but for the option of quickly printing something then depending on what it is then the iPad can work just as well

What about for other purposes? Are their and cons of each and which would u suggest overall?
Reply 9
Would u say a HP Pavillion would be a good windows choice?
Reply 10
My dad shortlisted this, the 12.9" iPad Pro and the MacBoom Air as the best ones he thought he could find within a £700 (ish) budget
Reply 11
Thank you for the help! I'll definitely have a look at that Lenovo
What about for other purposes? Are their and cons of each and which would u suggest overall?

Depend on what your other purposes are, for me the MacBook allows me to virtually everything and for things that require windows I either use boot camp or parallels. I use my MacBook for video/music editing, app design and doing work. But I can use my iPad for virtually all of that but with some changes you can edit video through iMovie, music on GarageBand and even build websites on it the only thing I haven’t been able to do on an iPad is app development.

I have iPad Pro with apples Smart Keyboard which allows me to use the iPad like a laptop anyway so for web browsing this is what I use most often rather than booting up a laptop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending