The Student Room Group

How to get an A in Aqa psychology

Any advice from students who have sat the exam A2 and got an A? Would really appreciate the advice
Original post by Bluebell1234
Any advice from students who have sat the exam A2 and got an A? Would really appreciate the advice

I did AS last year and got a high A and predicted an A* this year so maybe this might help. I make flashcards for all the individual topics that come up on the exams, and memorise them, writing them by hand is probably best but I tend to type them up on a PowerPoint slides and print them off as it just saves time. The “look cover and write/read aloud” method is honestly the way to go, and by doing this you can easily memorise the topics from one of the tests within a few hours.
Personally I use flashcards by myself, I find revising with others a distraction, but it depends on you, if revising with others works best for you flashcards are great for that and great if not too.
Don’t bother with mindmaps, they’re only good for getting all the info in one place to further condense down.
Also ESSAY PLANS!! I’m guessing you use the aqa textbook, and on every page there’s a 16 marker for each spread so plan every single one. ( just make sure you have enough for 150 outline and 250 words of evaluation otherwise your essays get marked down ) Past papers/questions from textbook are also very helpful as they give you an idea of what might come up in the exam and how to answer, but I didn’t do many last year and I think it would’ve helped more if I did.
Hope this has helped!
Original post by Charotts_1708
I did AS last year and got a high A and predicted an A* this year so maybe this might help. I make flashcards for all the individual topics that come up on the exams, and memorise them, writing them by hand is probably best but I tend to type them up on a PowerPoint slides and print them off as it just saves time. The “look cover and write/read aloud” method is honestly the way to go, and by doing this you can easily memorise the topics from one of the tests within a few hours.
Personally I use flashcards by myself, I find revising with others a distraction, but it depends on you, if revising with others works best for you flashcards are great for that and great if not too.
Don’t bother with mindmaps, they’re only good for getting all the info in one place to further condense down.
Also ESSAY PLANS!! I’m guessing you use the aqa textbook, and on every page there’s a 16 marker for each spread so plan every single one. ( just make sure you have enough for 150 outline and 250 words of evaluation otherwise your essays get marked down ) Past papers/questions from textbook are also very helpful as they give you an idea of what might come up in the exam and how to answer, but I didn’t do many last year and I think it would’ve helped more if I did.
Hope this has helped!

Hi, thanks for replying. I also got an A at AS but it was bordeline. I am good at memorising essays I have no problem with that.
The only thing I am concerned and worried about is that how do we know our essays are worth the highest marks. A teachers opinion may be completely different to an examiners. E.g it is not like maths where you know the answer is either wrong or correct.
Do you use any other resources
Original post by Bluebell1234
Hi, thanks for replying. I also got an A at AS but it was borderline. I am good at memorising essays I have no problem with that.
The only thing I am concerned and worried about is that how do we know our essays are worth the highest marks. A teachers opinion may be completely different to an examiner. E.g it is not like maths where you know the answer is either wrong or correct.
Do you use any other resources

With the essays, you need to make it clear if what you're saying in the eval is a limitation or strength, the outline doesn't really matter you just need to make sure that you include all the important bits and any studies or research examples if there is any. If you signpost it clearly there's no reason for your essays to be marked down as long as you have a sufficient amount of evaluation. I memorise all 3 of the Evaluations per spread to be on the safe side and it seems that its working and I get what you mean about the examiner having a different opinion, but the essays are marked the same way your teacher would and if you look at the mark schemes it's hard to mark subjectively.
As far as other resources go, our teacher compiles all of the questions that have come up previously and in specimen papers per each topic into a booklet that we complete, I think she uses exampro so it might be worth asking your teacher if they have access to it. Also, websites like simple psychology and youtube videos if I don't quite understand something, like the sign test etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending