The Student Room Group

I've a high IQ, and it's a curse.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SeanLaurentParis
I think a lot of people do this, I remember reading that the highest number of violent males fall into the IQ range of 79-89, that's in part due to mental illness, that affects everyone.
But at that IQ, they are capable of functioning to a degree in society.
They typically act out because that's how they know to react..
Everyone deals in a different way, but to say smarter people never show it isn't true.

No, it isn't. But I think that in the case of social anxiety smart people are better at hiding it because they're more likely to be capable of 'metathinking'. Not sure if this is the right term in english but I guess you can figure out what it means.
Not true, I was 14, not 2 and learning to say the word computer.
It was based of school reports that I was unengaged in the work.
It gets easier as you get older, OP. I would say get a formal IQ test from Mensa so you can understand your mind a bit better, and get therapy for your adjustment issues. Take care.
Reply 23
I'm not sure if it has much to do with IQ tbh; it's just your personality. I know plenty of very smart people; the variation in introversion and social ability is massive. That being said, while I have never taken an IQ test (and never intend to; a good score would do little for my self-esteem, while a poorer score would further damage it), I have always done very well academically, and often with less effort than might typically be expected, and I certainly empathise with a lot of what you've said. Especially the use of alcohol as a social lubricant.
I consistently score 160+ on online IQ tests. I really don't believe that I should be a MENSA despite the fact that an official test score like this would enable me to be. Online IQ tests are practically useless and no offense, but your writing style doesn't exactly scream "genius".
Original post by dutchstudent123
No, it isn't. But I think that in the case of social anxiety smart people are better at hiding it because they're more likely to be capable of 'metathinking'. Not sure if this is the right term in english but I guess you can figure out what it means.

Yep that's right,
It doesn't just mean they are going to be able to put it into action.

Regardless I said I just felt that way, it's not necessarily that others realise.
I post online to vent.
Long story short I was talking to a counsellor, and he suggested I get an IQ test.
I didn't but I got in contact with him recently and asked why he suggested it and he said something along the lines of 'You would need to be formally tested but I think it's fair to put it in the region of 140+, which is typically the point where we see some hinderance on the individuals personal life'.

I've yet to be formally tested, since online ones are not valid but that being said I consistently score 135 and above, after 140 the results become less precise and more redundant.

This is not a boast post, it has it's benefits but it's definitely a hinderance..
I suffer horribly with depression, I'm a very logical person, I'm also bordering on the pessimistic, they say ignorance is bliss, I'd agree..
I like getting drunk because I can interact with people, I can't converse normally with people, especially when in a group.
I'm great when it comes to discussing something, or adding in a fact but when it's just banter, a bit of a laugh I'm really bad..
I always feel like an outsider.
I'm not autistic, nor do I have Aspergers to any degree, I've a high level of emotional intelligence and I do quite well when flirting and talking to girls, but in groups I'm redundant.

Alcohol apparently drops your IQ by about 20 or so points when you're drunk.
I still 'come across as drunk' and people can usually never tell when I'm plastered drunk but I don't remember it the next morning.
But it still acts as social lubricant, I can engage with people, partly due to some form of social anxiety but also because in all honesty I'm not like others..

It's a good thing and a bad thing, being slightly more intelligent is a plus but theres a cut off where it becomes inhibiting, much like height.
Girls like tall guys, but after 6'6 you're worse off because of it.
I think that's the best similarity I can give..

I'm not that great at maths either, I like understanding and researching the concepts but I'm much better at English, it was my favourite subject, (despite what my grammar might tell you)..
At the minute I'm quite good at Information Systems, IT and Marketing.
But not maths, I'm certainly not one of the great scientific minds of this generation.

I'm creative, I get praised for my ability on the guitar, I sing as well.. but I listen to very depressing music (think City and Colour), but I love lyrics, I love Rap music because I love learning how the words work together, how the rhythm is used..

I'm writing this because I don't know where to go from here, I feel I'm destined to be somewhat of an outsider.
I can't very well learn off social interactions, but I want to work at it..
I'm considering going to see a counsellor or a psychologist.. but then again I'm not a fan of talking to people directly about it.. I tend to post online, hence this post..
It's me venting, getting everything out..
I'm also asking your opinion,
Or if you've any questions I'd be happy to help.

I'm sorry if this came across as pretentious, or conceited..
It's very difficult to write about yourself, run through all of your thoughts and not sound self indulgent, so I apologise.

Scoring any less than 135 on an online IQ test equates to classing as clinically retarded according to a real one.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I consistently score 160+ on online IQ tests. I really don't believe that I should be a MENSA despite the fact that an official test score like this would enable me to be. Online IQ tests are practically useless and no offense, but your writing style doesn't exactly scream "genius".

I'd agree, I'm not arguing that online tests are valid in any shape or form.

I just write as I go, I don't know where or what I've picked up but it's worked for me so far.
I'm from rural Ireland, so that could be a factor..
I wouldn't say your writing style exactly screams 'genius' either, no offence.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Scoring any less than 135 on an online IQ test equates to classing as clinically retarded according to a real one.

Haha, can't argue there.
That's not at all true, I mentioned about suggested testing.. no one said I was gifted, I was not considered some god send.
I was not held up, I was a problem child to a degree, I got good results but teachers didn't like me doing homework when I finished my class work, or reading ahead.
I'm not praising myself, I haven't at any point in this thread, you're pulling for those assumptions.
Original post by _NMcC_
There is a link between Intelligence and IQ but it's not a causal relationship and hasn't been studied in great detail.

Forget about IQ in my opinion. All it proves is you can perform well on an IQ test. Who says that the puzzles in these tests are somehow relatable to the problems encountered in everyday life and academia (with exception of Maths)?

I have SA and I'm no game-changing genius. How I minimise the effects of it are a combination of CBT and getting into the mindset of not giving a rats-ass about what people think of me.

Nobody's perfect and you won't be able to please everyone in life. The sooner I realised this, the more relaxed around people I became.

IQ accurately and consistently predicts many things such as future job performance. I agree IQ is highly questionable for overall intelligence, but it does measure specific forms of intellect well such as abstract reasoning, ability to solve problems and ability to acquire knowledge
Some would be happy to have a high IQ. Didnt know there were any negatives to come with it
Original post by It's****ingWOODY

I'd say some online IQ tests are relatively valid, for example this one (result was one point lower than what I got in a proper, paid for IQ test).
http://test.mensa.no
but obviously a lot of them are clickbait bull ****
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
Some would be happy to have a high IQ. Didnt know there were any negatives to come with it

It's a feeling of being disconnected, (not actually appearing disconnected, which there was a lot of confusion about that..) one point is humour, people with a high IQ typically have a very different sense of humour, it's usually not as well received.
That's another example of feeling disconnected..
It's a feeling of being disconnected, (not actually appearing disconnected, which there was a lot of confusion about that..) one point is humour, people with a high IQ typically have a very different sense of humour, it's usually not as well received.
That's another example of feeling disconnected..

tbh mate think ur just overthinking things, a high IQ doesn't cause feelings of disconnection - I do sort of see what you mean about humour, but there is overlap imo. I think I can laugh at more subtle jokes as well as things which are obviously funny.
Maybe try and think of what else could be behind the way you feel. I seriously doubt it's your ability to recognise patterns/sequences and provide synonyms for words.
I'd agree, I'm not arguing that online tests are valid in any shape or form.

I just write as I go, I don't know where or what I've picked up but it's worked for me so far.
I'm from rural Ireland, so that could be a factor..
I wouldn't say your writing style exactly screams 'genius' either, no offence.

How did you come to the conclusion that you have a high IQ, then?
Exactly my point. I don't believe I'm a genius, yet my scores on these tests have been astronomical (though, I believe my grammar in my previous reply was on point, despite accidentally slipping the American version of "offence" in there).
Long story short I was talking to a counsellor, and he suggested I get an IQ test.
I didn't but I got in contact with him recently and asked why he suggested it and he said something along the lines of 'You would need to be formally tested but I think it's fair to put it in the region of 140+, which is typically the point where we see some hinderance on the individuals personal life'.

I've yet to be formally tested, since online ones are not valid but that being said I consistently score 135 and above, after 140 the results become less precise and more redundant.

This is not a boast post, it has it's benefits but it's definitely a hinderance..
I suffer horribly with depression, I'm a very logical person, I'm also bordering on the pessimistic, they say ignorance is bliss, I'd agree..
I like getting drunk because I can interact with people, I can't converse normally with people, especially when in a group.
I'm great when it comes to discussing something, or adding in a fact but when it's just banter, a bit of a laugh I'm really bad..
I always feel like an outsider.
I'm not autistic, nor do I have Aspergers to any degree, I've a high level of emotional intelligence and I do quite well when flirting and talking to girls, but in groups I'm redundant.

Alcohol apparently drops your IQ by about 20 or so points when you're drunk.
I still 'come across as drunk' and people can usually never tell when I'm plastered drunk but I don't remember it the next morning.
But it still acts as social lubricant, I can engage with people, partly due to some form of social anxiety but also because in all honesty I'm not like others..

It's a good thing and a bad thing, being slightly more intelligent is a plus but theres a cut off where it becomes inhibiting, much like height.
Girls like tall guys, but after 6'6 you're worse off because of it.
I think that's the best similarity I can give..

I'm not that great at maths either, I like understanding and researching the concepts but I'm much better at English, it was my favourite subject, (despite what my grammar might tell you)..
At the minute I'm quite good at Information Systems, IT and Marketing.
But not maths, I'm certainly not one of the great scientific minds of this generation.

I'm creative, I get praised for my ability on the guitar, I sing as well.. but I listen to very depressing music (think City and Colour), but I love lyrics, I love Rap music because I love learning how the words work together, how the rhythm is used..

I'm writing this because I don't know where to go from here, I feel I'm destined to be somewhat of an outsider.
I can't very well learn off social interactions, but I want to work at it..
I'm considering going to see a counsellor or a psychologist.. but then again I'm not a fan of talking to people directly about it.. I tend to post online, hence this post..
It's me venting, getting everything out..
I'm also asking your opinion,
Or if you've any questions I'd be happy to help.

I'm sorry if this came across as pretentious, or conceited..
It's very difficult to write about yourself, run through all of your thoughts and not sound self indulgent, so I apologise.

The truly intelligent are all cursed in this world.
Original post by k.russell
tbh mate think ur just overthinking things, a high IQ doesn't cause feelings of disconnection - I do sort of see what you mean about humour, but there is overlap imo. I think I can laugh at more subtle jokes as well as things which are obviously funny.
Maybe try and think of what else could be behind the way you feel. I seriously doubt it's your ability to recognise patterns/sequences and provide synonyms for words.

It's not about laughing at jokes, I mean I watch some truly atrocious television, it's about cracking the jokes..
It's not about laughing at jokes, I mean I watch some truly atrocious television, it's about cracking the jokes..

You can learn to make jokes imo, I think it's a skill isn't it - you make some which don't work and some which kill people and over time you're able to appeal to people. I'd say I'm decent at cracking jokes in social situations and I've got a fairly high IQ.
I'm not having a go at you or anything, I just think that having a high IQ isn't prohibitive to making jokes which normal people can appreciate but you might have to work at it a bit.
r/iamverysmart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending