The Student Room Group

Unfairly failed practical driving test

Today I took my driving test and it was going really well (so I thought...) My instructor said that the examiner took me on a hard route but it was all fine. However on the crossing into the carpark of the centre I stopped at the stop line and went as I saw no cars were coming. The examiner said that I didn't look properly, but why would I cross if I knew someone was there?!
Its very upsetting as it happened in the last seconds of the test that I would've passed (Even after elongating the test when we were heading back, also continuously pulling over on tricky hills)
(edited 6 years ago)
What's your question?

You failed, it is what it is - there's nothing you can do about it. It's your word over the examiner's.

You'll just have to retake the practical. Loads of people don't pass first time, it's nothing to be embarrassed about.
at a stop sign you must pause. you probably didn't stop long enough.
if your minors are for the same thing you fail as well.
My partner failed first time for getting three minors on the same error.
the examiner is there to assess whether you are safe to be out on the road on your own. he/she is not conducting a vendetta against you.
Reply 4
Original post by RuthieG101
at a stop sign you must pause. you probably didn't stop long enough.
if your minors are for the same thing you fail as well.
My partner failed first time for getting three minors on the same error.

The minors were all for different things, I definitely stopped for long enough even my instructor agreed and I saw no cars.
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
the examiner is there to assess whether you are safe to be out on the road on your own. he/she is not conducting a vendetta against you.

Yes I agree but it was unfair. Even in the media they express how examiners have to stick to their pass percentage.
some examiners are just unfair. My partners minors were for braking too early. his instructor didn't understand either.
hope for a different examiner next time
Original post by GE12
Yes I agree but it was unfair. Even in the media they express how examiners have to stick to their pass percentage.

unfair because he's trying to prevent a future car crash/murder
examiners can be very confusing, you could appeal it i think? talk to your driving instructor first if you do want to appeal.
Original post by GE12

Untrue. I'm somewhat certain you're allowed a dashcam on an exam, without you proving to us what happened the immediate and fair assumption is you messed up.

E: Just checked - you are allowed a dashcam, but it is recommended to keep the sound off. I think this was particular the case where an instructor uploaded examiner footage, so he muted the sound as per DPA regs.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by bubblegumcat
examiners can be very confusing, you could appeal it i think? talk to your driving instructor first if you do want to appeal.

You cannot appeal a driving test result, you can only appeal if the test was not carried out to DVSA standards, i.e. the examiner was negligent or behaved inappropriately. Simply disagreeing with the examiner's judgement is not evidence of neglectful behaviour.
Original post by Dez
You cannot appeal a driving test result, you can only appeal if the test was not carried out to DVSA standards, i.e. the examiner was negligent or behaved inappropriately. Simply disagreeing with the examiner's judgement is not evidence of neglectful behaviour.

Just to clarify - you can't change the result. An appeal will only get you a free re-test; subject to standard wait times; and in all honesty you are unlikely to win.
Reply 13
Original post by GE12
Today I took my driving test and it was going really well (so I thought...) My instructor said that the examiner took me on a hard route but it was all fine. However on the crossing into the carpark of the centre I stopped at the stop line and went as I saw no cars were coming. The examiner said that I didn't look properly, but why would I cross if I knew someone was there?!
Its very upsetting as it happened in the last seconds of the test that I would've passed (Even after elongating the test when we were heading back, also continuously pulling over on tricky hills)

What did you actually fail for? Not your description of what you did, but the actual failure on the test sheet.
Reply 14
I see this in our local car park every day. The clue is here:
Original post by GE12
The examiner said that I didn't look properly,

At a give way line, you must look right, left and right again. Not stare ahead, hope for the best and pull out anyway. It might transpire after the event that nothing was coming, but that doesn't mean you were certain it was safe before the event.

Just look properly next time. Proper head turns to look through side windows. Lean forwards in your seat if necessary for a better view, especially if the view to the sides is restricted by parked cars / bushes / trees etc. An eye flicker is not enough to catch every cyclist / motorcyclist that is easy to miss. Be sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending