The Student Room Group

What do you do if you want to go NCS but can't swim?

I want to NCS but for the first 'phase' you go to some adventure thing and a lot of the activities involved water such as jumping off cliffs into water and kayaking. Its a bit shameful not being able to swim so what do I do? Can sit out or shall I just do the activities and ask for help or not go in the water. Does anyone who has done NCS and can't swim have any advice?
On the form there is a section where you can tick if you can’t swim then the activity leader should choose activities that’s dont involve water , if they don’t do that just say you don’t want to do the activity
no one will force you to swim.
Original post by jc.100
I want to NCS but for the first 'phase' you go to some adventure thing and a lot of the activities involved water such as jumping off cliffs into water and kayaking. Its a bit shameful not being able to swim so what do I do? Can sit out or shall I just do the activities and ask for help or not go in the water. Does anyone who has done NCS and can't swim have any advice?

It is worth having a look at this as well
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4548672
I did NCS, loved it :smile: There were people who weren't keen on water and the leaders didn't make them do anything. Although I was kind of forced to jump off a cliff by one of them though, all in good humour though
I did NCS in 2016 and I was terrified of deep water (still am).

Though I ticked the 'Can't swim' option, when we went rock climbing, we were required to jump into the water and then 'swim' to get back onto the rock. My instructor claimed there was no other way to get back up.

I repeatedly told her I couldn't swim but she assured me I was wearing a life jacket and everyone was around me so it was fine. I was ******** my pants but she kept telling me to jump because I was holding everyone up blah blah, so I did it.

Long story short, I had a panic attack as soon as I hit the water and couldn't keep upright. She (my instructor) started panicking right about then because I couldn't breathe but I made it out alive so it's all good!

I'm not telling you this to put you off, just making sure you're aware. I would say be adamant from the start that you can't partake in the swimming activity and just refuse to do it if you know you're going to panic as soon as you hit the water. However, if the problem is you just can't swim then tell them about that and I'm sure it'll be fine. For me, it was more of an issue because of the whole fear aspect which led to a panic attack.

We did another water based activity after this and my mentor, who was probably made aware of the situation, sat in front of me and just kept an eye out which was super helpful.

Sign up, and just go for it! It won't change your life but it will be a fun summer.
Reply 6
No one will force you to do anything you're not comfortable with taking part in :smile:
Original post by jc.100

I did NCS and it was really good, there were 2-3 members in my group who couldn't swim and our team leader respected their choice on not going in the water so they sat on the side and helped make our 'boat' and basically cheered us all on. Even if you can't swim it's okay, the members who couldn't swim still took part in a few other water activities and stayed close to the land... When I signed up for NCS, I thought there'd be quite a fair bit of water activities, but really there was only 3 I think :smile:
Reply 8
thanks you lot
On my NCS we went to Tawd Vale, there was no cliff jumping, but there was water sports - And i can't swim. However, There were life vests available, as a matter of fact they were mandatory. It might be worth checking around to see if your destination has them too. With one on, you are slow in the water, but you don't sink, which is cool i guess.
Reply 10
I did NCS last year and could not swim but even when we went on the water we had life jackets and if you didn't want to do anything on the water the leaders were fine with people sitting out. Don't let it put you off because NCS is a really great experience
hi is it still the same now (2022) i don't really like water activities but want to sign up for NCS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending