The Student Room Group

Stories

I can’t seem to write good stories. My imagination only lets me think of monsters! I’m too old for that. Any ideas how to progress please?
Reply 1
How about you stick to horror stories or writing children's stories? No one is too old for monsters.
Reply 2
Original post by Dickens60
I can’t seem to write good stories. My imagination only lets me think of monsters! I’m too old for that. Any ideas how to progress please?
So write about mosters who look like people.
Read some short stories. Roald Dahl's 'Tales of the Unexpected' are quite good. The skill in a good short story is how it is told, rather than having a complicated plot. Try looking in a local newspaper and writing a short news report again, in the style of a story.
Reply 4
Original post by Lit teacher
Read some short stories. Roald Dahl's 'Tales of the Unexpected' are quite good. The skill in a good short story is how it is told, rather than having a complicated plot. Try looking in a local newspaper and writing a short news report again, in the style of a story.

Thank you- great ideas.
Reply 5
Original post by Tootles
So write about mosters who look like people.

Not a bad thought! Thanks.
Reply 6
Original post by Lit teacher
@Dickens60 also it'd be worth looking at Lovecraft some time too.
Reply 7
Original post by Mikki25
How about you stick to horror stories or writing children's stories? No one is too old for monsters.

My English tutor thinks I need to vary things!
Reply 8
It's about thinking outside the box, most monsters are made up in a child's imagination, so they are big, smelly, hair things, but they don't have to be bad. In a psychological test it is suggested you take one every day item and try to make it into something else as many times as possible. One can do this for creative writing as well. Pick an item and make it into a monster, anything goes so just let your imagination out of the box.
Reply 9
Thanks for that idea Purdy 7

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending