The Student Room Group

Med school requirements

Hi! I recently joined TSR and so far have found it so helpful in getting closer to my goal.
I'm want to apply for medicine next year and was wondering if anyone had any information on what would be helpful as extra credit (stuff other than grades) like I already know about volunterring in care homes or work placement but is there anything else that would be beneficial that would look good for getting into medicine?
Thank you so much!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arfaaaaaa_
Hi! I recently joined TSR and so far have found it so helpful in getting closer to my goal.
I'm want to apply for medicine next year and was wondering if anyone had any information on what would be helpful as extra credit (stuff other than grades) like I already know about volunterring in care homes or work placement but is there anything else that would be beneficial that would look good for getting into medicine?

You don't need extra credit. You need good grades, the right amount and types of work experience and a good understanding of what being as doctor is about.
Reply 2
Original post by Arfaaaaaa_

Hi there!
I’m applying for 2019 entry and at the moment I am focusing on getting some work experience and volunteering. Try and get a variety of work experience eg. GP practice, hospital, pharmacy, research lab etc. But in the end, it honestly doesn’t matter much what you have - it’s more about how you can reflect on it. QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. For volunteering, universities like if you have a long term placement, usually 6 months + at a hospice, hospital, care home etc.
Try and get work experience/volunteering that covers the three D’s: diseased, disabled, disadvantaged.
Other stuff that might be helpful:
- Extracurriculars show a good work life balance and can demonstrate transferrable skills eg. Debating for communication, a sport for teamwork, a high grade in an instrument can show commitment etc. A range of extracurriculars demonstrate a well rounded person and medical schools want to see you are not a complete shut in!
- wider reading shows motivation to read around the subject - books, newspaper articles eg. Student BMJ, BBC health, going to lectures, seminars, online courses etc.
- you need time to study for admissions tests eg. UKCAT and BMAT, as most universities weight them quite heavily in the admissions process.
- STUDY - getting your grades is probably most important.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Myriam18
Because they have the experience I guess! they know if it's possible for you to enter or not when they see your grades. when they tell you your grades are good enough then they are.

Did you pay for this service?
Was it for applying in the UK or abroad?
Because they have the experience I guess! they know if it's possible for you to enter or not when they see your grades. when they tell you your grades are good enough then they are.

nobody can guarantee you entry, they can't go in and do the interview for you. unless its edinburgh, in which case the applicant would probably be smart enough to know that they don't need an agency telling them they'd get in.
Reply 5
yes, you pay for this service but their fee is less than offices. it is reasonable. check their website. :smile:

How much?
Reply 6
yes, you pay for this service but their fee is less than offices. it is reasonable. check their website. :smile:

According to their website it's £1500, which is a huge amount of money for most people. Also on this thread you say you used their services, whereas on another thread you said a friend used their services but you didn't know where they applied. Not sure why you're changing your story.

Perhaps you're just advertising their services, which is not allowed on TSR.
Reply 7
Original post by ax12
How much?

£1500 according to their website - see my previous post.
Reply 8
Original post by meddad
£1500 according to their website - see my previous post.

Christ, such a rip off. You can guarantee they do nothing more than what you can do yourself looking at publicly available information about the admissions processes...
Reply 9
Original post by ax12
Christ, such a rip off. You can guarantee they do nothing more than what you can do yourself looking at publicly available information about the admissions processes...

Exactly, "more money than sense" is the saying which comes to mind.

Also, original poster changes her story about how she knows about the service.... maybe they're just advertising.
Reply 10
why would I advertise if I just tell you that I liked their service. sometimes when people are really friendly to you it means a lot to you and makes you forget the money. Just like people find it weird that I buy a Micheal Kors wallet for 80 pounds, but I don't care, when I go there they pay a lot of attention to me, and when I order online they send my stuff quick and compensate me when I ask for it. I pay money for Good service and it is my money.
If I try to advise people I assume you should read the advice if you can take it or leave it

Advice offered in good faith is always welcome. Good faith is judged on honesty.
Reply 11
Original post by Volibear
So did they guarantee you'd ace your interview then?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

According to their website you are guaranteed a place with no interview. These are eastern European universities, not uk.
Original post by Volibear
Do the guarantee that you'll perform well at any interviews you may or may not receive?

I think this is for EU univerisites (excluding U.K.) for which entry is usually guaranteed and a lot of these places don't Interview in the first place
Reply 13
You said you applied through Medlink students. It's quite clear on their website that they deal with applications to eastern European countries, not uk.
Original post by meddad
You said you applied through Medlink students. It's quite clear on their website that they deal with applications to eastern European countries, not uk.

I will not argue on this topic, I will leave it conversation because I am not here to prove to you what I did. plus I really don't care whether you believe me or not but it does hurt when you get called a liar. but it was nice to chat to all of you!

Quick Reply