Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I recently joined TSR and so far have found it so helpful in getting closer to my goal.
    I'm want to apply for medicine next year and was wondering if anyone had any information on what would be helpful as extra credit (stuff other than grades) like I already know about volunterring in care homes or work placement but is there anything else that would be beneficial that would look good for getting into medicine?
    Thank you so much!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Arfaaaaaa_)
    Hi! I recently joined TSR and so far have found it so helpful in getting closer to my goal.
    I'm want to apply for medicine next year and was wondering if anyone had any information on what would be helpful as extra credit (stuff other than grades) like I already know about volunterring in care homes or work placement but is there anything else that would be beneficial that would look good for getting into medicine?
    Thank you so much!!
    You don't need extra credit. You need good grades, the right amount and types of work experience and a good understanding of what being as doctor is about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arfaaaaaa_)
    Thank you so much!!
    Hi there!
    I’m applying for 2019 entry and at the moment I am focusing on getting some work experience and volunteering. Try and get a variety of work experience eg. GP practice, hospital, pharmacy, research lab etc. But in the end, it honestly doesn’t matter much what you have - it’s more about how you can reflect on it. QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. For volunteering, universities like if you have a long term placement, usually 6 months + at a hospice, hospital, care home etc.
    Try and get work experience/volunteering that covers the three D’s: diseased, disabled, disadvantaged.
    Other stuff that might be helpful:
    - Extracurriculars show a good work life balance and can demonstrate transferrable skills eg. Debating for communication, a sport for teamwork, a high grade in an instrument can show commitment etc. A range of extracurriculars demonstrate a well rounded person and medical schools want to see you are not a complete shut in!
    - wider reading shows motivation to read around the subject - books, newspaper articles eg. Student BMJ, BBC health, going to lectures, seminars, online courses etc.
    - you need time to study for admissions tests eg. UKCAT and BMAT, as most universities weight them quite heavily in the admissions process.
    - STUDY - getting your grades is probably most important.

Hope this helps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myriam18)
    try applying through an agency they can guarantee you entry if possible, they are experienced so you send them your grades and they advice you. BTW I applied through an agency.
    How can they possibly guarantee you entry lol?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Because they have the experience I guess! they know if it's possible for you to enter or not when they see your grades. when they tell you your grades are good enough then they are.
    Do the guarantee that you'll perform well at any interviews you may or may not receive?

ReputationRep:
    Because they have the experience I guess! they know if it's possible for you to enter or not when they see your grades. when they tell you your grades are good enough then they are.
    Did you pay for this service?
    Was it for applying in the UK or abroad?

ReputationRep:
    okay so if you go to their website you see they are students who established this agency so you might find one of them in the university you are applying to if you're lucky. since they are students they went through the same process so they teach you things you need to know. they advise you what book to read that will help you a lot in your interview. this is what makes them special that they are students from different universities.
    Yes but they are not guaranteeing that the applicant will do well in the interview, which is the the most important factor in getting an offer once you have the rest of your application sorted. Nobody can guarantee this and if this is what they actually say on their website, then they don't sound very credible at all.

ReputationRep:
    nobody can guarantee you entry, they can't go in and do the interview for you. unless its edinburgh, in which case the applicant would probably be smart enough to know that they don't need an agency telling them they'd get in.

ReputationRep:
    yes, you pay for this service but their fee is less than offices. it is reasonable. check their website.
    How much?

ReputationRep:
    yes, you pay for this service but their fee is less than offices. it is reasonable. check their website.
    According to their website it's £1500, which is a huge amount of money for most people. Also on this thread you say you used their services, whereas on another thread you said a friend used their services but you didn't know where they applied. Not sure why you're changing your story.

Perhaps you're just advertising their services, which is not allowed on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    How much?
    £1500 according to their website - see my previous post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meddad)
    £1500 according to their website - see my previous post.
    Christ, such a rip off. You can guarantee they do nothing more than what you can do yourself looking at publicly available information about the admissions processes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    Christ, such a rip off. You can guarantee they do nothing more than what you can do yourself looking at publicly available information about the admissions processes...
    Exactly, "more money than sense" is the saying which comes to mind.

Also, original poster changes her story about how she knows about the service.... maybe they're just advertising.

ReputationRep:
    why would I advertise if I just tell you that I liked their service. sometimes when people are really friendly to you it means a lot to you and makes you forget the money. Just like people find it weird that I buy a Micheal Kors wallet for 80 pounds, but I don't care, when I go there they pay a lot of attention to me, and when I order online they send my stuff quick and compensate me when I ask for it. I pay money for Good service and it is my money.
    If I try to advise people I assume you should read the advice if you can take it or leave it
    Advice offered in good faith is always welcome. Good faith is judged on honesty.

ReputationRep:
    why would I advertise if I just tell you that I liked their service. sometimes when people are really friendly to you it means a lot to you and makes you forget the money. Just like people find it weird that I buy a Micheal Kors wallet for 80 pounds, but I don't care, when I go there they pay a lot of attention to me, and when I order online they send my stuff quick and compensate me when I ask for it. I pay money for Good service and it is my money.
    If I try to advise people I assume you should read the advice if you can take it or leave it
    So did they guarantee you'd ace your interview then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    So did they guarantee you'd ace your interview then?

According to their website you are guaranteed a place with no interview. These are eastern European universities, not uk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    Do the guarantee that you'll perform well at any interviews you may or may not receive?
    I think this is for EU univerisites (excluding U.K.) for which entry is usually guaranteed and a lot of these places don't Interview in the first place

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview in the UK. I don't know about other countries.
    You said you applied through Medlink students. It's quite clear on their website that they deal with applications to eastern European countries, not uk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alive97)
    Don't worry many people don't accept the idea of agencies, they don't know how they work and how much effort they save. Don't bother arguing.
    People are arguing them because they keep changing their story. Initially they said this wonder agency could guarantee them an offer. Turns out that isn't actually for UK universities because nothing can guarantee that you'll be able to perform well in the interview.

Also, it's hardly effort. This is just your future career lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meddad)
    You said you applied through Medlink students. It's quite clear on their website that they deal with applications to eastern European countries, not uk.
    I will not argue on this topic, I will leave it conversation because I am not here to prove to you what I did. plus I really don't care whether you believe me or not but it does hurt when you get called a liar. but it was nice to chat to all of you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.