Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I received two 9's at GCSE for both English Lit and Lang (Englishes? English's? whatever) I've been around TSR recently giving advice for what I did and I surprisingly received a lot more questions than I expected.

As a result, I'll be adding my tips and tricks that helped me through GCSE English and will be happy to answer any questions

Inspector Calls:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I did this for Inspector Calls however you can probably adapt it into a different text:
    -Begin your revision by starting with your character notes, I did mine in a table, divided into 3 (well, 4) sections.

1. Person's Character: Choose 5 main quotes that are memorable, from or about the character (6-8 words max)
    Follow PEEL. Write down the point you want to make about the Character, include the quote and write down what it shows you/what the quote implies. Finally, write a simple sentence, summarising what it tells you about their character.

2. What they did to Eva/Attitude to her death: again, 5 quotes that explain what the character did to Eva. This helps you be selective with explaining their role in Eva's death, as you don't want to be too descriptive. It also helps you back up your previous points about their character) Do the PEEL again.

3. Character development: What do they say/do end of play? Have they changed? How do you know and what does this show? - 5 quotes and PEEL

4. Select quotes you've already chosen from your previous 3 columns that fit into a theme, eg. Gender Roles, Power, Money, etc.
    You can repeat your points if applicable but the point is to make it easier for when you do your theme notes. It can vary from 3-4.

The point of this is to essentially break down the writing of an essay and have around 15 easy quotes to remember for your character from the start, middle and end so even if you have an extract question (Depends on your board), you're sorted, no matter where it is in the play. I made sure that my notes + quotes were in chronological order just so it's easier to remember when trying to recall what you wrote in the plan, whilst writing the essay.

For your theme essays, simply write out an introduction (try and integrate a few cheeky quotes here and there -you dont have to) and then go character by character the different theme quote/points you have already written down.

Macbeth (or any Shakespeare play)
    Spoiler:
    Show

For your Shakespeare play, in my case, Macbeth, I'd begin by writing down every possible question that could come up, Lady Macbeth and Macbeth's relationship, Banquo, Kingship, The Witches', etc. As (at least for me) this question is 40 marks if I recall correctly, you need to be prepared for anything.

I suggest a 5x5 method. 5 paragraphs, each with 5 main points (PEEL).
    Write down your point/the introduction to it, then write down the quote that supports it and then what it shows and why its relevant.

For your main characters, Lady Macbeth, Macbeth, Banquo and Witches, I suggest doing a a short 5 line plan of each paragraph so on the day of the exam you can merely glance at it, rather than stress yourself out with vast notes.

Poems:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Write your poems out in a STILTS + C structure

Subject -What the poem is about
    Theme- different themes poem adresses, aftermath of war, greed, heartbreak, etc
    Imagery- any metaphors, similies or figurative language the poem uses
    Language- verbs, nouns and the sort of words the poet uses to create a certain effect
    Tone - Elegaic, Happy, Longing? How does the poet sound?
    Structure - Stanzas, Enjambement, Iambic Pentameter, etc, does the poet use any of these and what does this create?

Context- A bit about the poet and what prompted them to write this poem.

Imagery, Language and Structure are your most important, focus on these the most and you'll definitely recieve better marks.

After that, write down all the different pairs you could do for your poems comparison and draw out a table of similarities and differences for each

NOTE: EXAMPLE OF MY NOTES ARE ON PAGE 2 AND 3 OF THIS THREAD

Whilst I appreciate that some of you may need help on a specific character, theme, etc, I wont be posting any other note requests on here just because
    a) Takes too much time
    b) I'm doing this voluntarily to help give an example of what you could be doing for your OWN revision, not giving the answers away to someone who has a class test tomorrw, it's not fair. I'm hoping my examples clear up questions some of you may have

Hope this helps!

EDIT: adamantacademic was nice enough to condense this thread into a snazzy powerpoint, check it out if you just want a quick summary
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post77228676

ANOTHER ANNOUNCEMENT [02/05/18]: To those of you who have exams coming up, good luck! I know it may seem overwhelming but the hardest part about revising for a subject is starting it! Just do your best to jump right in and dont be too hard on yourself, take breaks, care about your mental health and just do as well as you can

ReputationRep:
    How exactly do you manage to get the paper done in time, especially the eng lit paper which has unseen poetry in it? I would get much better grades if I wasn’t so slow at finishing each question, but I am and therefore my work is rushed and unfinished. Thank you for the help
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can you please pass me your notes for English? In return I can offer Maths help where I can.

ReputationRep:
    [if you did] how did you analyse writer’s intentions?
    Well done those are amazing and good luck with a-levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotYourAuntCarol)
    How exactly do you manage to get the paper done in time, especially the eng lit paper which has unseen poetry in it? I would get much better grades if I wasn’t so slow at finishing each question, but I am and therefore my work is rushed and unfinished. Thank you for the help
    the key is not only practise, but a good concise plan. Before you even start your essay you should make a rough 5min summary of what you're going to write. When writing your essay you need to make sure every sentence you write also has value to answering the question. By making sure you stick to PEEL and not waffle, you should find that you're quicker. Remember, quality is much better than quantity.

Use the timings recommended by your teachers, and remember that for every sentence you write, think to yourself, 'how is this relevant?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekidwhogames)
    Can you please pass me your notes for English? In return I can offer Maths help where I can.
    I'm currently looking for my notes at the moment, I'll post what I can find -some of them has been given to my old teacher for her class, stay tuned and I'll hopeefully has some pics up soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastiekid)
    [if you did] how did you analyse writer’s intentions?
    Well done those are amazing and good luck with a-levels
    I'm not quite sure what that is but if you mean you have to include why the writer wrote what they did I'd say start sentences like
    'Heaney's use of x has been included to create y' and just refer to the writer?

I didnt do writers intentions so it may not be the best advice but if you explain what it is I may be able to help further
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CinnamonSmol)
    I'm currently looking for my notes at the moment, I'll post what I can find -some of them has been given to my old teacher for her class, stay tuned and I'll hopeefully has some pics up soon
    Ah - thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not quite sure what that is but if you mean you have to include why the writer wrote what they did I'd say start sentences like
    'Heaney's use of x has been included to create y' and just refer to the writer?

I didnt do writers intentions so it may not be the best advice but if you explain what it is I may be able to help further
    Nah I’m not 100% sure what it is either...my teacher always tells us to use it though!
    Which a-levels are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if you use any structure for writing up the essays. Also could you do a post on how you revised for the poetry comparison, unseen poetry and the other books you have done . (I'm doing An inspector calls, Macbeth and Sign of four).
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekidwhogames)
    Ah - thanks!!
    Update: found my notes but the lighting is awful where I am so I'll post them tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Nah I’m not 100% sure what it is either...my teacher always tells us to use it though!
    Which a-levels are you doing?
    Oh right Im guessing its just referring to the writer here and there just bc why not

Im doing English Literature and Language (combined course because I couldn't decide oops)
    History (ew)
    Graphic Design
    and EPQ

ReputationRep:
    Oh right Im guessing its just referring to the writer here and there just bc why not

Im doing English Literature and Language (combined course because I couldn't decide oops)
    History (ew)
    Graphic Design
    and EPQ
    oooh they sound interesting
    Have you got any good book recommendations? I just finished my current read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuchan)
    I was wondering if you use any structure for writing up the essays. Also could you do a post on how you revised for the poetry comparison, unseen poetry and the other books you have done . (I'm doing An inspector calls, Macbeth and Sign of four).
    I'll be posting my notes tomorrow and will probably write up a better explanation but for Macbeth 40 markers I usually
    -write a 5x5 plan. This is basically where you have 5 paragraphs, each with 5 PEELs (Point, Quote, Explain it and then link it w a sentence)

Poetry: (again, I'll post notes tomorrow)
    STILTS+C Format

Subject -what poem is about
    Theme- what themes does it have, death? love? grief?
    Imagery- metaphors, similies, figurative language used to set the scene
    Language-use of words used by the poet to create certain things
    Tone -Elegaic? Happy? How does the Poet sound?
    Structure- Use of enjambement, how many stanzas, blank verse? Iambic pentameter? etc
    +
    Context: who poet is and what prompted them to write the poem (probably better to write this first)

Imagery, Language and Structure should be your main focuses as they pick up the most marks

ReputationRep:
    Where do you come up with ideas about imaginative writing? For my exam board (Edexcel) both language papers have 40 mark questions at the end based on this and i can never think of anything!

ReputationRep:
    oooh they sound interesting
    Have you got any good book recommendations? I just finished my current read
    I'm studying The Handmaid's Tale and I honestly love it, whilst it's hard to understand at first, the concept behind it is great. That and 1984 are good reads!

What are you planning to take at A-levels? (if youre doing them) and hows gcses at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Thats amazing!Please send me some of your notes as English is my worst subject since I'm predicted an 8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamondionysx)
    Where do you come up with ideas about imaginative writing? For my exam board (Edexcel) both language papers have 40 mark questions at the end based on this and i can never think of anything!
    this is the one question I was hoping someone would ask Go on writing prompt websites and also read funny tumblr posts to give you ideas

for me, my story was about a man who was sexually attracted to a vase only to find a crack in it who then went through the 5 stages of grief. I found inspo from tumblr and honestly, just write something original or obscure, itll be fun to write but also for the examiner to read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jman10101)
    Thats amazing!Please send me some of your notes as English is my worst subject since I'm predicted an 8.
    I'll be posting them tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying The Handmaid's Tale and I honestly love it, whilst it's hard to understand at first, the concept behind it is great. That and 1984 are good reads!

What are you planning to take at A-levels? (if youre doing them) and hows gcses at the moment?
    Oooh yeah 1984 is great! I actually read both of them over the summer and yeah the hand maids tale had me very confused I might read it again though
    For a-levels I’m thinking of doing maths, fm, physics though my English teacher does keep trying to get me to do English
    GCSEs are going okay, I had my English lit mock today which was pretty...lit

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 18, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.