The Student Room Group

Sorned vehicle

Hi I am currently having my car repaired. it has MOT and is sorned but it is currently sitting in my space in the underground garage parking that comes with my property. my housing officer is threatening to cancel my tenancy if it is not insured is my car allowed there
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I am currently having my car repaired. it has MOT and is sorned but it is currently sitting in my space in the underground garage parking that comes with my property. my housing officer is threatening to cancel my tenancy if it is not insured is my car allowed there

It depends what your tenancy says. There might be a clause saying the car has to be road legal. Your car is off-road so it's not illegal for you to keep the car there, but you don't own the land so the landlord can say what you can do.
I mean it's a private parking space no? So unless the agreement says that cars parked must be road legal she/he won't have a leg to stand on. You're paying to use that space.
Ok thankyou. I will look through the tenancy but I haven't seen anything to do with cars when I've looked previously
Reply 4
As others have said legally your car is allowed to be parked there. Whether or not your building allows it to be parked there is another matter.

It's worth noting that you will need to tax it to drive it to wherever you're going to MOT it. You can drive to pre-booked MOTs with no MOT, but the car must otherwise be road legal - taxed and insured.
As others have said, your car is classed as off road, because it's on private land (not council or public road).
because your car is not insured, and sorn you cannot drive it, even though it has an mot.
if you look on the rac website, it clearly states that a sorn car can only be driven to and from an mot centre for an mot appointment.

My last car was sorn. it had insurance and mot. it will have failed and I couldn't afford it so I was scrapping it. I lived opposite a police station so I asked them if I could drive my car to the scrap yard less than a mile away and I was told I couldn't. I could try but if caught I was risking a fine if £2500.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Nuffles
It's worth noting that you will need to tax it to drive it to wherever you're going to MOT it.

Strictly speaking, this isn't true. It used to be that you couldn't tax a car without a valid MOT certificate, not sure if this is the case anymore, but you certainly don't need tax to drive it to a test centre.

Driving it back is another matter, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending