The Student Room Group

Should I Tell Potential Job Offer I Already Have A P/T Job?

Looking for a bit of advice.

I have been working for a fast food chain for the last few weeks in a part-time position. Although it's not the most glamorous of all jobs, a job is a job. I work a 16-hour contract with a few added hours here and there (usually to cover an absence), no more than 25 hours a week.

However, i am desperate for more work as I cant make the rent/bills with a part-time wage. I have applied for various Ft/Pt positions but only one has responded. I have an interview for a part-time position at a bakery tomorrow. Its an 8hour contract with additional shifts available. Not ideal but it's better than nothing and I really need the cash.

I guess my question is should I let the bakery know I already have a pt job? how should I let them know without them thinking I cant be committed to the position and so get rejected? Should I be honesty? Or should I not mention my first job and try and deal with it later?

Ideally, i would like to juggle both jobs together making sure no shifts clash by openly communicating to both managers about rota in advance. But I’m struggling to believe that I won't get a rejection if I be honest about already having a job.

I feel so desperate and frustrated as I need the money and I’m struggling to find a full-time job. How can employers expect people to live on a part-time wage without employees looking for more work?

Thanks
Original post by Swan_23
Looking for a bit of advice.

I have been working for a fast food chain for the last few weeks in a part-time position. Although it's not the most glamorous of all jobs, a job is a job. I work a 16-hour contract with a few added hours here and there (usually to cover an absence), no more than 25 hours a week.

However, i am desperate for more work as I cant make the rent/bills with a part-time wage. I have applied for various Ft/Pt positions but only one has responded. I have an interview for a part-time position at a bakery tomorrow. Its an 8hour contract with additional shifts available. Not ideal but it's better than nothing and I really need the cash.

I guess my question is should I let the bakery know I already have a pt job? how should I let them know without them thinking I cant be committed to the position and so get rejected? Should I be honesty? Or should I not mention my first job and try and deal with it later?

Ideally, i would like to juggle both jobs together making sure no shifts clash by openly communicating to both managers about rota in advance. But I’m struggling to believe that I won't get a rejection if I be honest about already having a job.

I feel so desperate and frustrated as I need the money and I’m struggling to find a full-time job. How can employers expect people to live on a part-time wage without employees looking for more work?

Thanks

I think I would do the interview, maybe ask a question about the hours and how it works and see if they offer it you first. You can see what their attitude is to hours later. It might only be 8hrs or it could be as many as you want. It might be flexible or it might not. Make the decision when you know more and they have offered you the job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending