The Student Room Group

Open University - Speech and language therapist.

Hi there, I'm looking for some advice. I have always wanted to become a speech and language therapist but after completing sixth form I decided that university wasn't right for me at the time and I went and got a good job in London doing something unrelated. I have now been looking into open university courses so I can work and study, in the hopes that when I'm finished I can make this career change. The course I'm looking to study is Childhood and Youth Studies then complete a Masters in Speech and Language therapy.Does anyone here have any experience with the open university and SLT? I know that you have to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). To register with the HCPC, you first need to successfully complete an approved degree. Now I know they make some expectations but I have found nothing on the open university or the HCPC that states a OU degree is acceptable. Sorry, I know this is a long post but any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks,
Original post by elliemcarter
Hi there, I'm looking for some advice. I have always wanted to become a speech and language therapist but after completing sixth form I decided that university wasn't right for me at the time and I went and got a good job in London doing something unrelated. I have now been looking into open university courses so I can work and study, in the hopes that when I'm finished I can make this career change. The course I'm looking to study is Childhood and Youth Studies then complete a Masters in Speech and Language therapy.Does anyone here have any experience with the open university and SLT? I know that you have to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). To register with the HCPC, you first need to successfully complete an approved degree. Now I know they make some expectations but I have found nothing on the open university or the HCPC that states a OU degree is acceptable. Sorry, I know this is a long post but any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks,

It does not matter if you're undergrad is an approved degree as long as your masters in. I don't know where abouts in the country you live (or if your local university offers this) but have you considered changing your undergrad to a part time Speech and Language Therapy course? After a quick google search I found a small number of universities around the country that offer it part time so you would still be able to work
Hi elliemcarter I am in your position right now and stuck on what to do. Would love to know what you did in the end? Went part time at university or did open university?
Thanks Mellissa

Quick Reply

Latest