The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy applicants 2023

Hi all!

Welcome to the 2023 applicants thread! :woo:

Please note that discussion of specific interview questions is not allowed in accordance to the website rules.

Here are some questions to start you off:

Undergraduate or Post graduate course?
Which Universities are you (hoping) to apply for? Entry requirements?
Firm choice? Entry requirements?
Insurance choice? Entry requirements?
Previous (work/shadowing) experience? Any upcoming experience?
Anything else?

If you want to have a look at last year's (2022) thread it's here.

Please do not ask for or share any off site chats or groups as this I'd against the website rules that you agreed to when you signed up.
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi!

Undergraduate
Just Marjon - access course requirements are 24 credits at distinction and the rest at merit.
I worked in a speech and language unit attached to a mainstream school. I carried out all the speech and language plans with the reception aged children. Also worked with children with a variety of needs in the rest of the school.
I’ve been volunteering for the stroke association, calling a stroke survivor once a week for 8 weeks at a time. It’s been really interesting and it’s made me think maybe I want to work with adults as opposed to children… then I interact with a child and think that I want to work with children again!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Hi I’m Emma!

Undergraduate or Post graduate course: Undergrad
Which Universities are you (hoping) to apply for?
Entry requirements: Manchester Uni (AAB), Manchester Met (ABB), Birmingham City (BBC), Leeds Beckett (128 UCAS points), Huddersfield (ABB)
Firm choice? Entry requirements: Hopefully Manchester Uni! AAB
Insurance choice? Entry requirements: Manchester Met, ABB
Previous (work/shadowing) experience? Any upcoming experience: volunteering with children every week for a year plus, no shadowing but I have been able to have a Q+A with a Speech and Language Therapist.
Anything else: My a levels are Sociology, Maths and English Lit, I’m hoping to get A,B and A* in that order :smile:
Reply 3
Good luck to all the applicants - one huge interview tip I'd give (I'm a newly-qualified SLT) - make sure you show an awareness of both the adult and child side of the work, and also the dysphagia (swallowing) side of things. I work with learning disabilities and a huge part of my team's role is swallowing assessments and guidelines according to the IDDSI levels, plus assessment of an individual's communication and what they actually understand and how they might mask a lack of understanding. Also mental health and the criminal justice system are huge areas of SLT expansion.
Just a little one to show you've really looked into things when it comes to interview.
Hi guys! :smile:

Undergraduate or Post graduate course? Postgraduate

Which Universities are you (hoping) to apply for? Entry requirements? UCL, City and Sheffield I think! They all want at least a 2:1 and an interview. No idea about firm/insurance yet as I assume it's different for postgrad!
Previous (work/shadowing) experience? Any upcoming experience? I've got quite a bit of experience working with children (e.g summer job this year as a kids activity leader) but nothing explicitly SLT based. Am about to start volunteering with the Stroke Association too (same position as you @isilbell !) and hopefully have some observation lined up in mid October. Just hoping I'll be able to get in enough experience before applying!
Anything else? Am currently a Modern Languages undergrad

Thank you so much for the advice @kuponut, that's really good to know. Do you have anything in particular you'd recommend reading/watching etc.?
Oooh, that’s great @leapkicktouch! Hope you enjoy the Stroke Association volunteering. I love it! I had a break over the summer, so need to get back into it. It’s been so eye opening speaking to stroke survivors and their families.

I had a book recommended to me: A Career in Speech and Language Therapy; Wright, Jannet A., Kersner, Myra

I managed to order it from Abebooks.
Original post by isilbell
Oooh, that’s great @leapkicktouch! Hope you enjoy the Stroke Association volunteering. I love it! I had a break over the summer, so need to get back into it. It’s been so eye opening speaking to stroke survivors and their families.

I had a book recommended to me: A Career in Speech and Language Therapy; Wright, Jannet A., Kersner, Myra

I managed to order it from Abebooks.

Just an FYI. That book is hopelessly out of date. Speech and language therapy has changed beyond recognition from the perspective of those writers. The entire profession has been essentially remodelled.

I love my profession but it’s one facing a lot of challenges. The Role of the SLT is more consultative than therapy based in many NHS trusts. Be prepared for some questions on this at interview or to show awareness of this in other ways. You’ll be expected to show leadership skills at interview and to reflect on times you’ve used them. Think about times you’ve led or trained others.
Hi!

Undergraduate
Just Marjon - access course requirements are 24 credits at distinction and the rest at merit.
I worked in a speech and language unit attached to a mainstream school. I carried out all the speech and language plans with the reception aged children. Also worked with children with a variety of needs in the rest of the school.
I’ve been volunteering for the stroke association, calling a stroke survivor once a week for 8 weeks at a time. It’s been really interesting and it’s made me think maybe I want to work with adults as opposed to children… then I interact with a child and think that I want to work with children again!

Hi,

I'm a first year Marjon SLT Student - if you have any questions - let me know
Original post by JordanC55
Hi,

I'm a first year Marjon SLT Student - if you have any questions - let me know

Thank you! What is the interview process like? Hope you are enjoying the start of the course :smile:
Hii I'm Eleanor planning to study this in 2023 :smile:

Undergraduate.
-University of Sheffield
-University of Huddersfield
-University of Greenwich
-Birmingham City University
-University of Essex
Entry requirements?
Currently doing an BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science :smile: (Target Grades are D*DD)
Also doing Functional Skills Maths Level 2 as I haven't gotten the gcse equivelant.
Firm choice?
University of Sheffield !
Insurance choice?
Birmingham City University !
I did work experience in a care home where some of the residents had swallowing difficulties and needed help with feeding.

I also volunteered for the NHS where I was with a lovely woman who gave birth and helping her newborns. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank you! What is the interview process like? Hope you are enjoying the start of the course :smile:

Yeah, I am thank you! I don't know whether it'll be the same this year but mine was via Teams, it consisted of a group assessment, a written test and a 1 on 1 interview. Honestly, it wasn't that bad and I found out the next day - I can't recommend Marjon enough.
Hi i am Hope,

Postgraduate course (Masters)

UCL, City University of London, Sheffield, Manchester Metropolitan.

Entry Requirements?
2:1 or above in my undergrad degree (I got a 1st in BA (Hons) Education Studies)

I have worked in a summer school/ youth centres/ libraries with children and teens
Worked and volunteered in schools: mainstream, SEN, SEN non verbal and SEN social, emotional and behavioural schools
I currently have a job in a secondary school as a Speech and Language HLTA (this is to get me more SALT field specific experience)

Anything else?

More like a question butt,
1.Does anyone know the difference between MMedSci and MSc when it comes to Speech and Language Masters? :hmmmm2:
2.Is it better to pick a course that says 'pre-registration' or is one without that better ?
Original post by brookse6
Hi i am Hope,

Postgraduate course (Masters)

UCL, City University of London, Sheffield, Manchester Metropolitan.

Entry Requirements?
2:1 or above in my undergrad degree (I got a 1st in BA (Hons) Education Studies)

I have worked in a summer school/ youth centres/ libraries with children and teens
Worked and volunteered in schools: mainstream, SEN, SEN non verbal and SEN social, emotional and behavioural schools
I currently have a job in a secondary school as a Speech and Language HLTA (this is to get me more SALT field specific experience)

Anything else?

More like a question butt,
1.Does anyone know the difference between MMedSci and MSc when it comes to Speech and Language Masters? :hmmmm2:
2.Is it better to pick a course that says 'pre-registration' or is one without that better ?

If it’s not a pre-registration masters, it may not be an accredited SLT degree leading to registration as an SLT so make sure you know exactly what course you’re applying to.
Reply 13
Original post by kuponut
Good luck to all the applicants - one huge interview tip I'd give (I'm a newly-qualified SLT) - make sure you show an awareness of both the adult and child side of the work, and also the dysphagia (swallowing) side of things. I work with learning disabilities and a huge part of my team's role is swallowing assessments and guidelines according to the IDDSI levels, plus assessment of an individual's communication and what they actually understand and how they might mask a lack of understanding. Also mental health and the criminal justice system are huge areas of SLT expansion.
Just a little one to show you've really looked into things when it comes to interview.

where can i read into more about dysphagia and just speech difficulties in general, i'm struggling to find resources to research into SLT
Original post by 2760
where can i read into more about dysphagia and just speech difficulties in general, i'm struggling to find resources to research into SLT

Have a look at future learn. There are some great free courses on there on dysphagia and autism. I’d also recommend having a look at Lean Fall Stand by Jon McGregor. It’s fiction but it’s actually a really brilliant representation of aphasia and the speech and language therapy profession.

Some other books would include The Reason I Jump, Falling and Laughing, and The Word Escapes Me. Really recommend all of them.

And have a look at The King’s Speech (book and the film but mainly the book).
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Turning_A_Corner
Have a look at future learn. There are some great free courses on there on dysphagia and autism. I’d also recommend having a look at Lean Fall Stand by Jon McGregor. It’s fiction but it’s actually a really brilliant representation of aphasia and the speech and language therapy profession.

Some other books would include The Reason I Jump, Falling and Laughing, and The Word Escapes Me. Really recommend all of them.

And have a look at The King’s Speech (book and the film but mainly the book).

Thank you so much!!
Original post by JordanC55
Yeah, I am thank you! I don't know whether it'll be the same this year but mine was via Teams, it consisted of a group assessment, a written test and a 1 on 1 interview. Honestly, it wasn't that bad and I found out the next day - I can't recommend Marjon enough.

That’s great! Thank you so much for replying. I am going to the careers event they have on in a couple of weeks. I really liked the campus when I went for the open day and the staff were all so lovely, and knowledgable too!
Hey Everyone,

I'm Skye and I'm a current 3rd year SLT student on an integrated Masters Speech and Language Therapy course at Reading University.

If you have any questions at all about what studying SLT is like or anything like that, please do let me know, and likewise, if you have any questions about the course at Reading or just about Reading in general, ask away and I will do my best to help.

Wishing you all the best of luck with your applications and interviews - even if it gets a bit stressful, just remember why you're doing it (the end goal) and that you've got this!

Skye :smile:
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Hi all!

Please note that discussion of specific interview questions is not allowed in accordance to the website rules.

Anything else?

i cant see last years thread
Original post by Ashley_2
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Hi all!

Anything else?

i cant see last years thread

If you click on the hyperlink of 'here' does it not work for you? Here's the link: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7128883

Quick Reply

Latest