The Student Room Group

How to get into speech and language therapy

How can I get into a speech and language course after graduating from early years and childhood studies?
Original post by H.ab
How can I get into a speech and language course after graduating from early years and childhood studies?

Hi @H.ab!

There are two routes that you can take at university to become a Speech and Language Therapist - either a Master's in SLT or studying a Bachelor's degree again. Both degrees are eligible for funding from Student Finance England even if you already have an undergraduate degree.

At Manchester Met we offer SLT at both levels - I'll break down both courses for you so that you can see which course is right for you:

MSc Speech and Language Therapy (Pre-registration)
As a pre-reg course, you don't need an undergraduate degree in SLT to apply and can do so with a 2:1 in Early Years and Childhood Studies. The most important thing here is that you have relevant work experience, for example as an SLT assistant, working with SEN children, or in health and social care. This degree is 2 years long.

BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy
For this course we ask that students achieve ABB at A-Level (or equivalent) and can reflect on the work of a speech and language therapist and have knowledge of communication difficulties. This information can be gained from a number of sources including observation of a speech and language therapy sessions (live or video) or from personal experience. This is a 3 year degree.

Both courses require an interview, DBS check and Occupational Health assessment. Applications for both courses are submitted through UCAS. Applications are closed for September 2023 now but you can apply for September 2024 later this year when the new UCAS cycle opens.

It might also be worth checking out the RCSLT website to look at routes into Speech and Language Therapy.

I hope you find this information useful!!

Chloe :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending