The Student Room Group

Should I go back to sixth form?

Long story short, I went to college instead of sixth form. I regret that decision. I never got into my course and have lost passion for the subject (interactive media)
To be honest, I miss the school environment, making new friends and doing extra curricular activities. I also really want to do psychology a level and want to get back into drama and dance as my college do not offer these things.

My problems are that
A) My boyfriend is in the same course as me and he has expressed how upset he would be if I left and angry how I’m even considering it. We have been together for 2 years and we only have each other. He is also recovering from severe depression and I don’t want to trigger anything. I don’t want to leave him on his own.

B) I’m worried about being put down a year. All of the people I’ve grown up with and know will be entering their second year of sixth form whilst I will only just be starting my first.

I could handle staying at this course another year and finding somewhere to do extra curricular. My boyfriend wants to work full time in his current job after we leave college and I’m not sure I plan on going to university yet. I feel like sixth form will be my last chance to gain some qualifications that I want and to make some friends.

What would you do in this situation? Also has anyone else gone back to sixth form or is considering going back to sixth form?

Thank you!
Hey it sound like you're in a hard situation. I understand that your boyfriend is recovering from depression but i think it is important that you do what you think is right. I'm my opinion you should go back to sixth form because honestly qualifications really open doors for you and after sixth form you could always decide to even continue and go to uni but without a levels or college, you will unlikely find it hard to find a well paid job. Also although your bf depression you shouldn't stop you're education especially that you want to continue leaning. I reckon that if he loves you he should try and understand you too and that you want learn. I guess it could be hard for him but i think that will benefit him as well as he can't always be dependent on someone. Additionally there is always a chance you split up which would mean that you're left with qualifications you might not use because of your bf.

And with the second problem, I totally understand you as y friend has the same problem. She's staying in sixth form and she will be in classes with yr12 although she's technically a yr13. we are close friends so she didn't want me to go off to uni but in the end i can't restrict myself just because it would be better for someone else. It sounds a bit mean but remember at the end its your life. Oh and i'm sure you will get used to being a year lower and meet nice people.

Hope that helped x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending