The Student Room Group

I can't even tell if someone is autistic also people with learning disabilities

Before anyone gets offended I'm not too educated on this topic.
And I understand that there's different spectrums of autism, but the ones that I do know, I can't even tell. I think putting a title on them is silly. Esp people with " learning disabilities ", because one learns slower then the other mean it's a disability? Or they get numbers mixed up, I don't find it that serious but you have to put labels just so it's easier to understand I think it's just a bit harsh. These people do things better then me.

Anyways.

I think my boyfriend maybe autistic but I can't tell for sure, I recently learned that he has a learning disability. But now I'm wondering if he's also autistic...

Because he does random crazy things and lashes out
And he will sometimes sit there and write his name over and over again but I think that's anger management coping strategy.

What are signs I should look for ?
Ask the people around him. If he doesn't let you, ask yourself whether he's a person you can trust
Well, if you want to understand what the root of a person's difficulties are then you have to be prepared for them to be identified in some way, this especially matters if they want formal support like the kind universities offer for students with things like autism.
lol you can't tell without asking them. They're just normal people.

Original post by Axiomasher
Well, if you want to understand what the root of a person's difficulties are then you have to be prepared for them to be identified in some way, this especially matters if they want formal support like the kind universities offer for students with things like autism.

ye the labels are so you can get medication. I take ADHD meds and they'd give people without ADHD psychosis from serotonin overdose if they took them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Does it really matter if he's autistic? If he is and he knows he'll tell you in his own time, if not then you're doing the exact thing you think is silly - putting a label on him. Not all autistic people 'do random crazy things and lash out' and vice versa not all people who do are classed as autistic.

In regards of learning slower I agree that disability is isn't the right word for it, but it's what it comes under (I also don't particularly like labels). However saying 'these people do things better than me' in this case is irrelevant as that may be true, but in exam conditions we work slower and therefore score lower than we're capable of (even though we may know more answers than we have time for) hence the 'disability' and special measures such as extra time. If it gives you any idea I got extra time in two exams last year and non in the other - ended up getting 16UMS lower in the non-extra time one because I work slower.

If you really want to self-diagnose him you can look on this page https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/autism/symptoms/ but personally I think you should either wait for him to tell you or ask him directly if you're so worried :smile:
It's not always going to be obvious. He may have learnt coping skills so that he can mask his difficulties.

There's no point looking for signs because those signs are also many signs of other conditions. I, for example, also have a diagnosis of OCD as well as Autism. (although, it's likely it's actually sensory processing disorder, rather than OCD)
Original post by ChickenMadness
lol you can't tell without asking them. They're just normal people.

ye the labels are so you can get medication. I take ADHD meds and they'd give people without ADHD psychosis from serotonin overdose if they took them.

I had that exact issue when I was younger, I was given Ritalin and thought I was dying. It turned out to be severe psychosis. Let’s just say I definitely do not have ADHD lol
Original post by xobeauty
Esp people with " learning disabilities ", because one learns slower then the other mean it's a disability? Or they get numbers mixed up, I don't find it that serious but you have to put labels just so it's easier to understand I think it's just a bit harsh. These people do things better then me.

It's really not that straightforward. You'd have to have far more issues than just being a slow learner to have a label.

And he will sometimes sit there and write his name over and over again but I think that's anger management coping strategy.

But so do other people. It doesn't mean they have a learning disability.

There's no point, as mentioned previously, suggesting you looking for signs. What's the point of trying to label your boyfriend? If he wants to tell you, he will.
Original post by Tiger Rag
It's not always going to be obvious. He may have learnt coping skills so that he can mask his difficulties.

There's no point looking for signs because those signs are also many signs of other conditions. I, for example, also have a diagnosis of OCD as well as Autism. (although, it's likely it's actually sensory processing disorder, rather than OCD)

You have autism because you have an sensory processing disorder ?
You have autism because you have an sensory processing disorder ?

Nope. Some people will have both and some people will have one or the other.
And I understand that there's different spectrums of autism, but the ones that I do know, I can't even tell. I think putting a title on them is silly. Esp people with " learning disabilities ", because one learns slower then the other mean it's a disability? Or they get numbers mixed up, I don't find it that serious but you have to put labels just so it's easier to understand I think it's just a bit harsh. These people do things better then me.

Anyways.

I think my boyfriend maybe autistic but I can't tell for sure, I recently learned that he has a learning disability. But now I'm wondering if he's also autistic...

Maybe he is bipolar?

He writes his name over and over, is he 12?
Original post by Cecily Nevyll
Well most people can't really tell the difference between autism, asperger's etc.

Are you following me?:eyeball:

Anyways.

Learning difficulties are a complex thing. For some people it is really obvious that they have "issues" and it can even be quite clear what those are. For some people it's less obvious and more that it affects them in hidden ways so you may not be able to notice the signs even if you know they have a condition.
There's also a fair bit of cross over between conditions so somebody might have signs usually associated with autism due to their ADHD or signs of dyspraxia with their dyslexia etc.

As far as labelling things go it's not really necessary other than to that person. Often it helps to have a label so you can access support our more easily explain why you may struggle with things. What that label is honestly doesn't matter much as long as it achieves those things.

If you're unsure with your boyfriend then I would suggest just talking to him about it.

Quick Reply

Latest