The Student Room Group

Ladies: Is this a polite brush off or legitimate excuse?

Soo if those females here could give their opinion on this loose end...

I'm a casual acquaintance of a girl, with whom we've hung out one on one previously, but purely as language partners. We're both college students, same city but different unis. Two weeks previously we were texting back and forth (she seemed interested, was texting paragraphs, responding 1-2 hours) and I asked if she was free to meet up.

She said her parents (from hometown a few hours away) were visiting her next week (so one week ago) but would like to meet up the following week (this weekend). I say sure, and it's been radio silence for almost two weeks until today.

I text her again and ask about plans over Easter, and she says she's actually already traveled back home (two hours away), citing being stressed with studies. The text was friendly, but no mention of meeting up or rescheduling (her last text clearly referenced meeting up this weekend).

So, two points: instinct is ramming home that she isn't interested, but then if she's lying she runs the risk of running into me in the city this weekend (although to be fair the city is huge and we're on opposide ends of it). Thoughts?
Reply 1
You're overthinking things. Chill out and don't take it so literally.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
You're overthinking things. Chill out and don't take it so literally.

An actual answer to the question would be also great.
Reply 3
Original post by Pandekage
An actual answer to the question would be also great.

You're asking people to read her mind. Can't be done.

Just relax and don't take it so literally, let it play out and see what happens
Paranoid or what.
Reply 5
It's clearly not encouraging as if she was actively interested she would have made an effort. Likely it's friends only, but I guess you could keep trying a bit longer based on what's happened so far.
You're reading too much into it.

One of my friends goes pretty quiet if he has family visiting.
So it could be either of these two things: she’s actually busy or she doesn’t want to meet you. It seems like the latter but she has no reason to lie, unless she’s scared of ‘ruining’ your friendship. But you never know she could actually like you ☀️ Try expressing your feelings to her and her response will answer your question. If she doesn’t like you, you could still be friends. But I would say try staying active with her as it will show you like her :s
I would give it until the second week of April then contact her again. I would start w/ just friendly texts again and see if she is responding regularly and is seemingly friendly. Then after a few days texting ask if she'd be free to meet up on evening during the week (when she's not likely to be going home to see family) but just make it a very casual meet up. See how she responds. If she makes yet another excuse she is not interested but likes you as a person and doesn't wish to hurt your feelings. IF after all of that you haven't met up the you'll need to wait for her to ask to get together because if the excuses are legit then I think she will suggest somehow meeting up. Best of luck to you.
Reply 9
Thanks for the answers. I've been the only one initiating, so I'll definitely back off now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending