The Student Room Group

Girls, would you date a friend of yours?

So I realise the term "friendzone" is now in vogue and that being "in the friendzone" is not compatible with being in a relationship with someone.

But, I don't think I would ever date a girl I didn't know well beforehand and weren't, in some sense, already friends with.

And that is because I am only attracted to girls who have a genuinely good heart. If I don't first know her and become friends with her, I won't develop feelings and therefore I won't feel the need to date her.

However, as I said in the first paragraph, everybody complains about the friendzone. Which makes me anxious that maybe girls function differently. Maybe they want to date strangers, not their friends. Idk. I want to know if you'd date a friend of yours you already knew. And why not if not.
Original post by Anonymous
So I realise the term "friendzone" is now in vogue and that being "in the friendzone" is not compatible with being in a relationship with someone.

But, I don't think I would ever date a girl I didn't know well beforehand and weren't, in some sense, already friends with.

And that is because I am only attracted to girls who have a genuinely good heart. If I don't first know her and become friends with her, I won't develop feelings and therefore I won't feel the need to date her.

However, as I said in the first paragraph, everybody complains about the friendzone. Which makes me anxious that maybe girls function differently. Maybe they want to date strangers, not their friends. Idk. I want to know if you'd date a friend of yours you already knew. And why not if not.

Yes. I want to know someone decently before I go out with them. Also being friends with a girl is fine. Furthermore the "friendzone" could be more healthy compared to a relationship (knowing from experience). Furthermore it means if you beak up, you are more likely to be able to be friends (after a long period of no contact) as you knew that person as a friend before (or at least that's from my experience)
Reply 2
Original post by jungleseu
Yes. I want to know someone decently before I go out with them. Also being friends with a girl is fine. Furthermore the "friendzone" could be more healthy compared to a relationship (knowing from experience). Furthermore it means if you beak up, you are more likely to be able to be friends (after a long period of no contact) as you knew that person as a friend before (or at least that's from my experience)

Are u a girl or a boy?
Reply 3
People always say that "good relationships start with a good friendship", but i'm not sure if that really works. Usually the guy either suffers in the "friendship" because he doesn't have the courage to make a move or he actually makes a move and the girl rejects him.

Call this friendzone or not, but there's a real danger in being friends for a longer period, because that will put you in the friend category because you never escalated and it killed every romantic aspect.

I'm in the same situation, meaning just going to ask a girl out. Fortunately, we haven't been "friends" for a long time and also feel like we took it a little bit forward with flirting and touching, but who knows how it will end. The only thing i know for sure, that for me, a rejecting is much less scary than missing out on a possible great thing with her, don't ever forget this. Also, if you secretly attracted to her, that's not really a good friendship. You're lying to her and also not being true to yourself by not making a move when you want to, and that is not attractive and pretty needy.
(edited 6 years ago)
I dated my best friend of 5 years three times (for 6 months, 3 months and then again for 6 months all with quite long gaps in between) and although it didn't work out in the end and she is now happy with another guy, we are still best friends as we were before. Dating your best friend is great if it works and for a while it did and it was the best relationship I've had but if you are going to date your best friend you should be prepared for it to not work and be prepared that you could lose your best friend and your girlfriend at the same time.
Original post by Anonymous
Are u a girl or a boy?

Boy
I would always want to date a guy that I have known for a while, maybe that's just me. But I'd prefer to know them before I have a realtioship with them.
Reply 7
I used to date a guy I had been friends with since year 7 (I'm in year 13) , and my current boyfriend I had been friends with two years prior

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending