The Student Room Group

Why do girls find it offensive when their friends date their brother?

This always confuses me and kinda even annoys me. I would like an explanation. Why?

“Because me and her are friends and it’s kinda weird that she’s dating my brother” Doesn’t explain anything. This is the typical response you always get when you want a sincere explanation and it’s one that isn’t driven by logic, which makes sense given that it also doesn’t explain much

Isn’t it even better if your friend dates your sibling, because if they marry, your friend will be into your family and you’ll see each other more? Genuinely, I can’t see anything wrong. I see it wrong if the lies LIES and says they’re not going anything with the brother, obviously

Is it bad/taboo because it indicates that…. Well I can’t even think of examples
Reply 1
it's not really 'bad/taboo' or anything. It's just awkward because it adds more complexity to your relationship with each other or can even be a threat to it. Especially if things don't work out with the dating.
Reply 2
Original post by souffle101
it's not really 'bad/taboo' or anything. It's just awkward because it adds more complexity to your relationship with each other or can even be a threat to it. Especially if things don't work out with the dating.

So that’s all there is- adds unnecessary complexity and uncertainty to the relationship. Why do people take it out of proportion, like in movies, books, songs and real life situations? Because the average teenage girl is dramatic?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
So that’s all there is- adds unnecessary complexity and uncertainty to the relationship. Why do people take it out of proportion, like in movies, books, songs and real life situations? Because the average teenage girl is dramatic?

sure, teenage girls are dramatic and i guess that plays a part.
but i don't see the point in trivialising it with 'so that's all there is,' it's definitely a big thing for a relationship.
Do they find it offensive? :hmmmm:

I've never heard any female say that they are offended by a platonic friend dating their sibling.
Annoyed, embarassed, irritated and even a bit jealous- maybe.
But not offended.
However when it comes to an ex dating their brother or sister, that would be another matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending