The Student Room Group

How can you be an atheist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IAmAtheism
For me I just don’t believe in a god. I don’t doubt my opinion on that therefore I’m not agnostic. However I do understand how people do believe and did believe myself for the majority of my life (was catholic).

Well Catholicism in my opinion kinda sucks. say some prayers, dunno why you're saying them. judging others whilst being just as bad but hoping your prayers and occasional good deeds get you into heaven. At least that's how I felt when I was Catholic. Now I'm just plain Christian. All about building and holding a relationship with JESUS & tryna be more like Him.

I see that it's very simple to you that He don't exist and I respect your opinion on that. Thanks for your input!
Original post by Kevin70
Atheism means to accept life and religion means to deny it. Religion has been the cause of many deaths and destruction but not atheism, the religious person wants to fool and exploit God through worship and prayer which is basically a type of flattery, the atheist on the other hand does not grovel to any supernatural being for his livelihood and worldly success.

Religion doesn't always mean to deny life although I don't disagree with you that it has lead people to depression and death. I don't really consider my relationship with Christ as religious. Rather than that I want to mane a positive impact on as many lives as possible as He did and as I believing He is living, He's with me every step of the way. I worship the Lord cuz I'm thankful to Him, not cuz I want stuff from Him.

But really it was interesting to read your input, I've come to see many different reasons for atheism on this thread
Original post by Frizzaayy
I take the time I have on this earth very seriously & try to make a positive impact on as many lives as possible. If I died tomorrow I wouldn't regret having followed Jesus.

My parents had Christian parents but were never really into it so yeah I did have to go and find out who God and Jesus was for myself.

It's easy to blame all the evil in the world on God isn't it. God is good and disease and illness is of the devil. If God removed evil from the world then the human race may as well be eradicated.

And that's a real disservice you're giving to schizophrenics. It's a severe mental disorder with huge stigma attached and with awful symptoms. Not cool.

Still didn't really refer to my first point, why don't you believe in zeus? what if you die and you have dedicated your life to the wrong 'God', tough luck?

Well in that case, the devil is more believable than 'God'. Clearly the devil does more and has more impact, what good does 'God' do? clearly 'God' is not as powerful as you think, if he can't control this, how can you keep praising a 'god' that is literally useless while your neighbour dies of cancer and the other kid across the street just found out his little brother won't survive due to leukaemia.

Hearing a voice inside your head is a serious illness that is exactly my point

It's how you look at the world, if you are so delusional, if something good happens to you and has also negatively impacted someone else's life, therefore who should you thank the devil and god? Should I thank the devil instead if an 'enemy' of mine dies of cancer? because clearly the devil is doing a lot more than, good or bad than I've seen anything 'God' do.

Oh and by the way, 100 million hands together in prayer, would do less than 1 pair of hands working.
I see. I never saw it that way, thanks for your input :smile:

Listening and accepting, you are the kind of Christian the world needs more of :smile:
Thank you for taking the time to respond to everyone in a nice and friendly manner, you’re awesome!
The burden of proof relies on the person who makes the claim. You have absolutely 0 proof of a god. Extraordinary claim requires extensive evidence. It's logic. And atheists arent all 'ruling out' a god, we just dont believe in it. Not the same thing.

Funny how the people who attempt to question atheism are too ignorant to even know its definition. I guess it's the same reason why they have to feel important...
People have mixed up the master and servant in man-God relationship.
Who serves who?
Worship and prayer are meant either to get something from God or to appease him. People treat God as a charity.
Reply 186
This isn't to start fights, I generally want to know. I understand being agnostic but it doesn't make sense to me that anyone can be just plain atheist.

Until science proves everything concretely, it doesn't really prove anything. I'm not denouncing science - I love it! I'm a biochem a level student and I wanna study medicine.

But I don't think it has all the answers - personally, I think the bible has all the answers which get proved through science.

Anyways, I could go on forever but I actually wanna know opinions!

It's kind of complicated and the terminology is muddy. There are lots of different types of people who call themselves atheists, most of them are probably people you would call agnostics. The definition of atheist really is just lack of belief in a God, which isn't the same thing as believing there is no God. The wording is quite specific but "lacking belief in a God" just means everyone except the people who definitely do believe in a God, which means agnostics obviously fall under that category too. I think the term agnostic was probably invented by people who thought using the term 'atheist' that way was too broad, and got people who lack belief mixed up with people who positively assert there is no God.

The problem now is that the existence of the term agnostic has lead many people (whether theist, atheist or agnostic) to think that atheists are only people who positively assert there is no God, even if a certain person who calls themselves an atheist doesn't think that way. The point is that nobody's definition is really right or wrong, it's all semantics. And in a way these labels might do more harm than good. It's hard to have a conversation about atheism is everybody has a different definition of what the word atheism means.

So if you ask "How can you be an atheist", I'm guessing you mean "How can you assert there is no God", to which I say you're right, you can't assert there is no God. But even if you truly believe that's what the word atheist means, the people who you're addressing in this thread won't all think that way, so they'll think you're implying something different than you are.

The short version:
- How can you assert there is no God: you can't.
- How can you be an atheist: depends what you mean by atheist, and everyone else has to agree on that definition before the discussion can happen.
I love the bible lol. Earth ain't flat tho, not that the people who wrote the bible knew that though lol. Since God lives out of our dimension I guess her just explained things in a way we could understand. I'm not sure honestly but I'm willing to find out by researching with God rather than turn against Him cuz some things don't seem to fit yet

What seems so hard about being told the earth is spherical as opposed to flat? Why would "God" not bother to explain that?
Everything can be explained using physics.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
What seems so hard about being told the earth is spherical as opposed to flat? Why would "God" not bother to explain that?

ssshhh dont ruin their imagination, dont spoil their little fun... its mean.
Original post by Afforestation
ssshhh dont ruin their imagination, dont spoil their little fun... its mean.

Probably just a troll
Hinduism is very cultural rather than religious. It was actually a term invented by Muslims (Middle Easterners) to denote what they saw as the "foreignness" of the "Indian" culture at the time, which was then picked up by Europeans who categorised it as a religion. It's possible to be atheist and agnostic within Hinduism.
Original post by Kyber Ninja

I'm not pretending that I know the answers to all that. I haven't read the whole bible nor have I prayed about it or had bible studies about it so I don't know. Doesn't mean I don't trust God now though, I can figure that out with Him once it's time.
I'm not pretending that I know the answers to all that. I haven't read the whole bible nor have I prayed about it or had bible studies about it so I don't know. Doesn't mean I don't trust God now though, I can figure that out with Him once it's time.

Time for what?

Why would you trust someone who hides answers from you - would you give the same luxury to a spouse, sibling or friend?
perhaps not religion but having faith in Christ can have a positive effect on ones live I think :smile: but I see your point lol

It can, but it also can't.
Same with being atheist, it can but it also can't.

And I'm relatively happy with my life spectating all these other religions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending