The Student Room Group

English: Othello revision tips!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by justanotherchica
first of all read through all of it again whilst making notes on the side or writing on sticky notes language analysis annd contextual info for each scene. if you go through a scene a day then in two weeks you can complete notes. also write down key quotes like maximum 10, minimum 5 from each scene (this can vary) on revision cards. most importantly do exam practise after you've done notes.

okay whislt reading it use sites like cliffnotes, sparknotes to analyse each scene and have a translation guide too.

to memorise i suggest reading it multiple times and then try to say it or write it without looking in the book.

When you say write down key quotes is that for Each character in that scene? Or for Each theme?
E.g:
10 quotes for Iago in Act 1, scene 1?
10 quotes for appearance vs reality in Act 1, scene 1?
Which one?
Thanks
Also, what grades are you on and what are you predicted? Did the methods you suggested work well for you? Thanks
Original post by Ariel2611
When you say write down key quotes is that for Each character in that scene? Or for Each theme?
E.g:
10 quotes for Iago in Act 1, scene 1?
10 quotes for appearance vs reality in Act 1, scene 1?
Which one?
Thanks
Also, what grades are you on and what are you predicted? Did the methods you suggested work well for you? Thanks

no 10 quotes just for iago would be a waste of time
questions are hardly just specificalyl about one character but usually two like des and oth or des and emilia or just multiple characters. you're better off writing down quotes based on themes. also to find themes once again look at revision sites such as sparknotes, cliffnotes, and schmoop.

predicted: B :frown: i want an A. last year i was predcted c and got a b in the exam so i hope it turns out this way this year.
Thank you very much!
That's what I was thinking!
It's much better to find quotes according to themes because then you are doing two things at once in a way
I was thinking of creating Act wallets

Where in each poly pocket I put all the information below for EACH act:
- summary
- translation with original text
- text with analysis
- mindmaps for Each character/theme for that act
Regarding the last point..do you think it would be a good idea to create mindmaps on EACH act for: each character and each theme... so a mind map on each theme displayed in Act 1 scene 1, same for Act 1 scene 2 etc....
I don't really know HOW to identify the themes though! :-(
HOW Do I know what theme is being shown by the character in Act 1 scene 1?
Thanks

hmm yes you can make mindmaps on themes and characters characters but on that mindmap you can mention which chacracters it relates to specifically in that chapter by writing quotes.
you can write your own very short summaries but dont do anything too elaborate or its a waste of time.
for the translations dont write it down, you can find translations online and just read it. otherwise... waste of time. for key quotes make surey ou know what they mean though.

the most important thing you need to do is exam practise.
hmm yes you can make mindmaps on themes and characters characters but on that mindmap you can mention which chacracters it relates to specifically in that chapter by writing quotes.
you can write your own very short summaries but dont do anything too elaborate or its a waste of time.
for the translations dont write it down, you can find translations online and just read it. otherwise... waste of time. for key quotes make surey ou know what they mean though.

Thank you
I was thinking of printing off the summaries
Printing off the analysis with scene
Printing off each act Shakespearen version alongside modern version which explains it
And then!....
Creating mindmaps for Each scene...
In each scene mindmap there will be 10 quotes (right???) For each theme shown in that act by each character ( right? Do i do 10 quotes for themes shown for EACH character or just 10 quotes for that theme overall????)

Your grades are fantastic!
You should be proud of yourself!
Hopefully you get that A!
Did you do all that you suggested to me for Othello yourself....?

Thanks

I understand that i need exam practice but this is what i should do first right????
Then AFTER I've done this and know & understand Othello to then do exam practice...
Thank you
I was thinking of printing off the summaries
Printing off the analysis with scene
Printing off each act Shakespearen version alongside modern version which explains it
And then!....
Creating mindmaps for Each scene...
In each scene mindmap there will be 10 quotes (right???) For each theme shown in that act by each character ( right? Do i do 10 quotes for themes shown for EACH character or just 10 quotes for that theme overall????)

Your grades are fantastic!
You should be proud of yourself!
Hopefully you get that A!
Did you do all that you suggested to me for Othello yourself....?

Thanks

lol ive done a bit like annotations and notes but that is ideally what you should do especially in your position. i had a very good teacher for english so my knowledge of othello is very good and i know a lot of the quotes memorised already.

well i said perhaps 10, you might need more, maybe less. some scenes are more condensed with relevant quotes e.g. act 3 scene 3 but others aren'tso it just depends.
10 quotes for theme altogether
also for characters, you might want to do some overall analysis like how their characters develop throughout the play.
lol ive done a bit like annotations and notes but that is ideally what you should do especially in your position. i had a very good teacher for english so my knowledge of othello is very good and i know a lot of the quotes memorised already.

well i said perhaps 10, you might need more, maybe less. some scenes are more condensed with relevant quotes e.g. act 3 scene 3 but others aren'tso it just depends.
10 quotes for theme altogether
also for characters, you might want to do some overall analysis like how their characters develop throughout the play.

Thank you for all the tips
I'll do that then!
Thanks. :-)
Reply 27
Thank you :-)
What films do you suggest for Othello?
Thanks

We watched the version with Ian mckellen as Iago which is pretty good and as someone else pointed out there are some interesting modern versions which offer different interpretations
Thank you for all your advice everyone...
BUT, I still don't understand/know HOW to annotate basically... HOW will i know WHAT to annotate, WHEN the themes are shown, WHAT lines are important and what lines arent!
I DON'T KNOW :-(

I've decided to do all of the above and print out summaries, modern versions, and to create mindmaps for each act for all characters in that act - based on themes....BUT, how do analyse the text????
How do i know what is important and what is not....????

Thank you & Sorry

HOW do I know what is important and what is not when going through and findings themes/annotating...
HOW do i know what theme is being shown and WHERE?
Sorry....Thanks
i would suggest finding quotes per themes because for example the theme of appearance vs reality, you can find quotes mainly for iago because the theme generally regards him but you can also find quotes about it from othello and desdemona. generally themes are overarching so its better then finding it according to character. also make sure you know which act and scene the quotes are found in and who said it.
good luck :smile:

Thank -you
When you say find quotes per theme...
Do you mean like this:

create mind maps for Act 1, scene 1 on themes displayed with the theme in the middle (Prejudice, Act 1, scene 1) and then the different quotes around it with who said them....
You said to NOT do it on individual characters so putting the theme in the middle and then annotating which characters showed that theme around it in Act 1 scene 1 is what you meant right????

Thanks
Bump
Reply 32
Maybe obvious (and maybe already mentioned) but getting hold of a physical copy of a student guide and highlighting, reading the relevant parts of it and making notes on it would definitely help if you are struggling to know where to start or what is significant/worth analysing and revising.
I would recommend the Cambridge student guide or the york notes advanced :-) .
Alsooo if you are doing love through the ages (AQA) then you don’t need to think about themes like racial prejudice in as much detail as love. I think it’s important to not overwhelm yourself with information but instead try to focus it down as much as you can to the most important aspects of the text for the spec you are doing and you hopefully won’t suffer as much stress!
Original post by zjscott
Maybe obvious (and maybe already mentioned) but getting hold of a physical copy of a student guide and highlighting, reading the relevant parts of it and making notes on it would definitely help if you are struggling to know where to start or what is significant/worth analysing and revising.
I would recommend the Cambridge student guide or the york notes advanced :-) .
Alsooo if you are doing love through the ages (AQA) then you don’t need to think about themes like racial prejudice in as much detail as love. I think it’s important to not overwhelm yourself with information but instead try to focus it down as much as you can to the most important aspects of the text for the spec you are doing and you hopefully won’t suffer as much stress!

Thank you
Yes I'm doing love through the ages
I also have the York notes revision guide
Where do I find a spec for Othello a level for AQA?
Thanks
Hi, so a lot of people have said to go through each part of Othello scene by scene picking out any relevant key quotes etc.
BUT, a lot of the scene-by-scene thematic quotes overlap (Sex & racism for example) so how do i memorize or revise them properly???
If i do mindmaps A LOT of the information is copied onto the other theme etc so HOW should i revise then?
Thanks
Reply 35
Hi, so a lot of people have said to go through each part of Othello scene by scene picking out any relevant key quotes etc.
BUT, a lot of the scene-by-scene thematic quotes overlap (Sex & racism for example) so how do i memorize or revise them properly???
If i do mindmaps A LOT of the information is copied onto the other theme etc so HOW should i revise then?
Thanks

Since you’re doing love through the ages you wanna just focus on aspects of love, eg marital, paternal etc.
If you make a list of all the different aspects of love you can think of, then make a list of important quotes (with analysis and where they appear) for each one then you’ll be doing revision that will be more directly helpful in the exam.
All othello questions will be ‘read the extract and analyse how aspects of love are presented in it, while also referring to elsewhere in the play’ or something along those lines, so if I were you i’d Focus on knowing good sections to talk about different aspects of love so you can refer to them quickly in your answer. Eg. Act 4 scene 3 is really good for the different attitudes to marriage that Emilia and Desdemona have. Hope this helps and that I haven’t gone on the wrong track! :-)
Original post by zjscott
Since you’re doing love through the ages you wanna just focus on aspects of love, eg marital, paternal etc.
If you make a list of all the different aspects of love you can think of, then make a list of important quotes (with analysis and where they appear) for each one then you’ll be doing revision that will be more directly helpful in the exam.
All othello questions will be ‘read the extract and analyse how aspects of love are presented in it, while also referring to elsewhere in the play’ or something along those lines, so if I were you i’d Focus on knowing good sections to talk about different aspects of love so you can refer to them quickly in your answer. Eg. Act 4 scene 3 is really good for the different attitudes to marriage that Emilia and Desdemona have. Hope this helps and that I haven’t gone on the wrong track! :-)

Thank you so much!
That's what my teacher had first said too!
So I should focus on different themes relating to love... What key themes do you think i should focus on (list please?)?
Should I continue to make mind maps on on my the KEY quotes for each scene of the play focusing on the themes of love...?
Thanks so much !!!
Reply 37
Thank you so much!
That's what my teacher had first said too!
So I should focus on different themes relating to love... What key themes do you think i should focus on (list please?)?
Should I continue to make mind maps on on my the KEY quotes for each scene of the play focusing on the themes of love...?
Thanks so much !!!

No problemo :smile:
So for themes related to love off the top of my head I can think of:
- passion
- barriers to love
- romantic love
- paternal love
- fraternal love / comradeship
- marriage
- sexual/romantic jealousy
- suffering in love

There could be more and some of these may cross over a bit, but there's an idea -
Also, I would make sure you understand the contextual side of things too, like the audience at the time of writing (renaissance-era society) and how modern audiences will react differently to some ideas eg. Iago's racism. also think about Venetian aristocratic society at the time and how women were viewed at the time - Venetian women were judged to be especially untrustworthy and at risk of adultery, see Iago in act 3 scene 3 "In Venice they d let God see the pranks /They dare not show their husbands; their best conscience /Is not to leave't undone, but keep it unknown"

Definitely continue with your mind-mapping if you feel it's helping you understand the play, but don't force yourself to do it if it doesn't feel very useful.
Ultimately though, anything you do is useful as long as you are engaging with the text and having a good think!
Hope this has helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending