The Student Room Group

Adv maths or Spanish?

I'm currently in 5th year and I need to make choices for 6th year. I intend on doing 3 adv highers but i am really really torn between maths and spanish. I would love to apply to medicine (grade dependent) so I'd take chem and bio but what would be more beneficial? i love talking in Spanish and all the teachers and the language in general but i feel maths would be easier for me to do well in and would take up less time studying. I love both subjects equally which is what makes this decision so difficult. If anyone has any advice it'd greatly be appreciated!
U could take maths and ask if it’s possible to do after school sessions that don’t actually lead to a qualification as u can still put it in ur cv
Original post by cheernast
U could take maths and ask if it’s possible to do after school sessions that don’t actually lead to a qualification as u can still put it in ur cv

Yeah I was kinda thinking of something along those lines like maybe doing Spanish under the radar and sit in with the adv class if my timetable allows it. Thank you!
Original post by aannaduffy
I'm currently in 5th year and I need to make choices for 6th year. I intend on doing 3 adv highers but i am really really torn between maths and spanish. I would love to apply to medicine (grade dependent) so I'd take chem and bio but what would be more beneficial? i love talking in Spanish and all the teachers and the language in general but i feel maths would be easier for me to do well in and would take up less time studying. I love both subjects equally which is what makes this decision so difficult. If anyone has any advice it'd greatly be appreciated!

Either would be fine from an application perspective. Just as long as you can get the required grade for wherever you're applying to. If you think you'd be able to do well in either, just choose the one you think you'd enjoy more.
Reply 4
How confident are you for your highers? If you reckon you can pull 5As then I would say that you probably can handle 4 advanced highers. I personally did 3, but looking back, I would have done 4 as it is definitely manageable compared to what is being thrown at me in uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending