The Student Room Group

What do lecturers references include?

Hi, so I'm wondering, when you ask a lecturer to provide you a reference for a masters, what kind of things do they say? How long is the document? Do they say both good and bad things? How important is a good reference?

Thanks guys.
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Hi, so I'm wondering, when you ask a lecturer to provide you a reference for a masters, what kind of things do they say? How long is the document? Do they say both good and bad things? How important is a good reference?

Thanks guys.

It really depends on how well they know you and your application. Good refs are quite important.
Original post by alleycat393
It really depends on how well they know you and your application. Good refs are quite important.

Doesn't really help much. Say if they know you and your grades have been mixed would they emphasise your strengths?
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Doesn't really help much. Say if they know you and your grades have been mixed would they emphasise your strengths?

Unfortunately no one can read your specific lecturer's mind. I know how I have written refs for my students in the past but that doesn't mean it's the same for others. Your best bet is to go talk to them, explain what you are applying for and if there is anything you would like covered in your ref.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending