The Student Room Group

“Its not what you say, its how you say it”

Wtf does that mean. My sister says this to me all the time. And i never understand because i never said anything wrong but she says she cant explain why i was “rude”. I wasnt shouting when i was saying it.

Today i said

“mum it was raining today i dont want to go out shopping” and my whole family said i was being rude and she said this stupid line again and im so ****ing sick of it😡
It is either the tone of voice you are using or the wording of the sentence
Original post by kayleighisonfire
It is either the tone of voice you are using or the wording of the sentence

But i say it in my normal tone of voice and it’s definitely not the wording. So what else could it be??? She cant explain it herself which is so annoying
You may have a sarcastic or aggressive tone. Often someone will say something to me that’s rude, and like your sister, I can’t explain why it’s rude but it just is. It’s easier to get away with saying something to someone in a condescending tone than directly insulting them, not saying that that’s your intention, but be aware of what message you’re trying to convey when you speak.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rainfall
But i say it in my normal tone of voice and it’s definitely not the wording. So what else could it be??? She cant explain it herself which is so annoying

People read into things differently, what you might consider to be your normal tone of voice others can perceive it as abrupt etc
Cos that's what gets results :wink:
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
You may have a sarcastic or aggressive tone. Often someone will say something to me that’s rude, and like your sister, I can’t explain why it’s rude but it just is. It’s easier to get away with saying something to someone in a condescending tone than directly insulting them, not saying that that’s your intention, but be aware of what message you’re trying to convey when you speak.

Original post by kayleighisonfire
People read into things differently, what you might consider to be your normal tone of voice others can perceive it as abrupt etc

Okay but she even herself admits i dont sound aggressive or sarcastic or anything
Original post by shawn_o1
Cos that's what gets results :wink:

???
Tone of voice.
Well she said my voice doesnt sound angry or anything. And if what im saying is rude then why is she assuming im being rude even if my face isnt angry or my voice. I could even be smiling and saying it and im still being rude
Okay but she even herself admits i dont sound aggressive or sarcastic or anything

Has anyone outside of your family pointed it out?
Well she said my voice doesnt sound angry or anything. And if what im saying is rude then why is she assuming im being rude even if my face isnt angry or my voice. I could even be smiling and saying it and im still being rude

Maybe its them then.
and it’s definitely not the wording.

Are you sure?
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
Has anyone outside of your family pointed it out?

My mum
Original post by Sataris
Are you sure?

Yeah!

My family are just so sensitive
Yeah!

Okayyy! Just cos I could see how the wording of what you said could be seen as rude if that's how you said it
Original post by Sataris
Okayyy! Just cos I could see how the wording of what you said could be seen as rude if that's how you said it

I know but its not that. Thank you though :smile:
It’s probably how you sound when you say it. Although to you it may seem as if you’re saying it normally but in reality you may be using a harsh tone or a condescending tone etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending