The Student Room Group

I’ve been kicked out of home need advice.

As per the title suggest I’ve been kicked out my house by my dad we got into an argument and that involved me getting kicked out, I have my passport, spare clothes, water, my wallet and card and my phone, I have enough money to last me a while from work, I’m 17 and need advice for the time being i might book the cheapest hotel room to stay for the night, but need advice for going forwards. Thanks
Reply 1
Aren't u in some sort of education? And you can go to a centre which help kids like you. Stay with a friend and since you work you can pay rent?
Original post by ussy123
Aren't u in some sort of education? And you can go to a centre which help kids like you. Stay with a friend and since you work you can pay rent?

Yeh I’m doing a levels got my exams in June but looks like I won’t be doing them, can you send a link of this Center and I’m not gonna work anymore so renting is going to be a issue. Thanks for the quick reply
as the user above said, is there some youth charity that helps shelter teens for the night?

Original post by BurnerAccount
As per the title suggest I’ve been kicked out my house by my dad we got into an argument and that involved me getting kicked out, I have my passport, spare clothes, water, my wallet and card and my phone, I have enough money to last me a while from work, I’m 17 and need advice for the time being i might book the cheapest hotel room to stay for the night, but need advice for going forwards. Thanks
Sorry this happened. Is there any way you can go back like in a week? what about your mum or family you can go to?
Because you were kicked out and you are under 18, it's likely you'll get a place in YMCA accommodation or something.
If you think this may be permanent, then maybe it'll be better for you to stay in a hostel instead of a hotel to save money.Although I've never stayed in one. I've heard some are awful, and others are great, i think it just depends on the one you go to
Lastly I would recommend calling a friend. Even if you feel embarrassed, or you feel you are not that close to them, I'm pretty sure they won't refuse you a sleepover ( for a night - if an acquaintance or more if a close friend )so you can collect yourself, and calm down around a supportive friend. I know that if an acquaintance shared this with me and asked to come over in such a vulnerable state I would help them. Maybe contact someone from college/sixthform, or maybe an old high school friend? Maybe a friendly neighbour, or a family friend. That is safe.

Also, if you need to talk to someone, there are loads of charities you can call. EG. childline. You can use them up until you turn 19.

Goodluck,
and my tip to you is to say whatever your dad wants to hear. Apologise, whatever it takes. Just so you can get through A level exams, and save up as much money as possible, so that when you do leave, you'll have the best start. You don't wanna act irrationally now and affect your future forever by not being in a safe home environment during you exams. Or not have enough saved before you move out.

I'm sure your dad cares about you, and will want you back home soon, so take advantage of that. but if he is abusive ( to the level of danger ), then its best to contact someone who can properly help you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Yeh I’m doing a levels got my exams in June but looks like I won’t be doing them, can you send a link of this Center and I’m not gonna work anymore so renting is going to be a issue. Thanks for the quick reply

Hi, here is the link. https://centrepoint.org.uk

Depending on how you feel about talking to the police I would suggest walking into your nearest station for some advice; they’ll be able to talk through your options about what’s nearby. However if you or your Dad have been involved in anything criminal which caused the argument you might want to avoid this.

Honestly I’ve been lucky not to ever be anywhere near that situation so maybe what I’d do is different but I think that’s where I’d start! They’re there to keep you safe.

Edit: also call childline as suggested by someone above!
(edited 5 years ago)
got any other family that can help? u can maybe apply for a council property or sumthing

Damn, that might have been me soon... he always threatens to kick me out if we get in a fight. I only back off coz he pays for my tuition so when I'm done with my education and I don't need his help (for another 1 year), I don't really give a **** if he kicks me out. But, I'd still send him money so he can look after himself (sorry my heart is too soft I guess)

But I have always planned a way to survive, if things don't go according to plan, so here goes...

Like you said, book a cheap hotel for two days, sleep first night. Tomorrow you can start to clear your mind and plan your survival. If you have your phone with charger, make sure you stay near mcdonalds/library or wherever you can put in your plug. Also apply for library card or pay for internet at internet cafe and start writing up your CV. If you are willing, join military as a reserve, unless you are happy staying full time. Joining the army as a reserve and when you go gym there, you get paid. Idk what subjects you took, so can't really offer advice there. I guess you are still going school, so attend and speak to a counsellor or someone your trust, explaining your situation. If you are handsome and lucky, they might take you home or arrange something out of their money. Also apply for good jobs, finish studies and then apply for better job. Meanwhile ask if you can stay at friends house or something till you are capable. I expect you are going uni in a few months, so you can have maintenance loan and student finance, so you can live there. TBH, you are not struggling right now, just think clearly and act.

Alternatively, you can apologise to your dad. After all he is your dad, and I am sure he still has love for you somewhere in his heart.

I've run away from home before and here is a checklist of questions you should ask yourself before doing anything else.

1. Was the argument serious to the point that reconciliation is impossible? If it was some stupid fight over something silly, then it really isn't worth risk sleeping on the streets. Trust me, its dangerous. I've seen people get beat up by psychos and gang members. It really isn't safe to be doing this. If you can say sorry to your dad and go home, do it. Don't be a bratty teenager and think your tough enough to survive on the streets because you aren't.

2. Do you have any friends and other family members that you can stay with? Swallow up your pride and ask them if you can stay over because at least you're with someone you know and trust.

3. Stay in a hotel if the first two options don't work. That depends on how much money you have though. The lowest price you can get a hotel room for tends to be around 40-60 quid but it will probably be a lot higher if you are booking in at short notice. Also, hotels might be fully booked too.

4. This is the last resort but find charities that offer night shelters. Shelters and hostels tend to **** holes and full of dodgy people but you don't really have a choice if the first three options don't work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending