The Student Room Group

How do I fix someone else's problem?

So I have a friend, a very special friend actually. Just last night, she came to my place sobbing. She was in full pain; I can really see it. She told me something about her affair to a guy I didn’t even know. And the problem is she has a boyfriend, they’ve been together for 4 years now since that new year’s party dating service. She wants me help her amend everything, that I am the only who understands her. But I’m not really sure about this. First, I can’t stand on the fact that she’s cheating on her bf. Secondly, she wants me to talk to her bf and end everything between them. It’s not that easy! What should I do? How do I fix someone else's problem?
Reply 1
It's a sticky situation and ultimately it's her responsibility to fix it, not yours.

Don't talk to her bf, that's ridiculous of her to suggest. It's fine to offer advice but she's the coward for not facing up to the music.
I completely agree with UWS, it is her situation and she's the one who needs to fix it. I don't find it cool when people try to involve their friends in their issues, things don't end well. If you want to help her, suggest her to talk with her boyfriend and just be honest with him and to figure out if she still wants to be in that relationship because one does not cheat multiple times unless she is unsatisfied with her relationship.
Reply 3
Original post by UWS
It's a sticky situation and ultimately it's her responsibility to fix it, not yours.

Don't talk to her bf, that's ridiculous of her to suggest. It's fine to offer advice but she's the coward for not facing up to the music.

I already talked about this to my other friend, and she scolded me! She said I would be the biggest idiot in the world if I would really do it. Thanks a lot. I'll probably just advice her to say it herself.
Reply 4
Original post by alicesmiloves
I completely agree with UWS, it is her situation and she's the one who needs to fix it. I don't find it cool when people try to involve their friends in their issues, things don't end well. If you want to help her, suggest her to talk with her boyfriend and just be honest with him and to figure out if she still wants to be in that relationship because one does not cheat multiple times unless she is unsatisfied with her relationship.

Yeah, I decided to let her do it. I might get involve if I'll do it for her. She needs to fix what she have done. I really appreciate your response.
Reply 5
You shouldn't fix problems that other people have but instead should support them in becoming someone who can resolve it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending