Is £100PW expensive for halls?! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Towelie88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi all

Im going to brighton uni in september, And am currently trying to sort out accomodation. The uni halls that I am looking at (Phoenix Brewery Halls) , are the closest to the centre of town & are en suite at £100 per week approx. Would you say this is above the norm for en suite halls?

Do you think I would be better off finding some student housing at a cheaper price? Or would the extra money be worth it for the 'halls experience'

Cheers

Andy
Prudy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends on whether you can afford it or not. Brighton (as a city) is quite expensive, however, if you can find cheaper accommodation anywhere else, even a different set of halls, it's worth asking if the experience is worth the money you coudl save.

(As a benchmark)I pay about £130 pw for my college, but I'm fully catered, and have cleaners 3* a week.
physicsdude
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well remeber you will probs only be paying for the time you are there (whilst in a house you pay all the tim) and bills... but tbh i dont know, i pay more than that but i get my food thrown in!
Hunny_Bunny789
Report 10 years ago
is that catered or non-catered? if non-catered maybe a little expensive yes! my house is only £60 a week!!!!! but then again its brighton so prob y its pricey!
Sam18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, I pay more too but I am in catered so...
Hunny_Bunny789
Report 10 years ago
but halls experience u cant beat it, esp in 1st year!
Mr. Mortell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I pay about £104 a week, self-catered, en-suite. But I am in the East End of London. Make of that what you will!
Towelie88
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
http://www.brighton.ac.uk/accommodat....php?PageId=35

They are non catered... All the en suite brighton halls are a similar price. I dont want catered halls anyway, as I hear the food is slop.

I guess its only for the first year.
difzal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A bit pricey for noncatered, but you are down south, where everything is more expensive. My college is also £100/week noncatered, but it's a 38-week let so you're not stuck paying over the summer holidays, as you would be in private rented. Are you?
Paeony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My old halls in SW London are currently £104 per week - that's en suite self catered. My step bro is at a uni in the midlands and is paying about £98 per week in en suite self catered halls, but he does get a lot included (like TV license, broadband etc etc).

£100 doesn't sound too bad for Brighton, as it is a fairly expensive place to live generally. Also, as someone else has mentioned, it sounds expensive when you look at it week by week but overall it tends not to be *that* much more expensive than a house, as in halls everything (pretty much) is included and you're not paying for 52 weeks.
hwyaden
Report 10 years ago
Mine are £66/week but aren't ensuite or catered...ensuite ones in the same location are about £80. But I suppose this is Belfast we're talking about here, even if it is south Belfast haha.

Personally I wouldn't want to pay that much extra for an ensuite... I mean I did spend 18 years sharing a bathroom with 5 other people so :P plus you don't have to clean a shared bathroom yourself, yay!
envious
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think £100ish is proably around the average cost for an en-suite room in university accommodation and I know that it certainly is around that at my university. If you are a bit worried about the cost maybe you should consider opting for a non-ensuite option. I know the prospect can be quite scary but when I shared a bathroom it certainly wasn't that bad, plus quite often you can pay less and actually have a nicer, bigger room as they haven't crammed a bathroom into your bedroom.
Mr. Mortell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Take a look around it, if at all possible! It really helps to see if it is worth it!
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sounds about right for central Brighton, I'm afraid.
laurabuk
Report 10 years ago
Next year mine are £75 p/w! But thats Liverpool
louisedotcom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im paying about £94 a week, for a very nice, newly built self catered ensuite room in halls at Leicester. Rent prices will vary depending on location and lots of other factors.
sophisticated
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Towelie88)
Hi all

Im going to brighton uni in september, And am currently trying to sort out accomodation. The uni halls that I am looking at (Phoenix Brewery Halls) , are the closest to the centre of town & are en suite at £100 per week approx. Would you say this is above the norm for en suite halls?

Do you think I would be better off finding some student housing at a cheaper price? Or would the extra money be worth it for the 'halls experience'

Cheers

Andy
Catered or non-catered? If its catered/food included then thats a good deal, if not then it is fairly expensive yes.
It also depends what else is included in that cost....internet? tv license? cleaners?
pcok
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know how expensive that particular area is, but looking at the accommodation for King's (which is in the centre of London), that would most certainly be on the cheaper end!!
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
warwick has en-suite at £114 per week
undercover agent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
nahh its about av.

for ensuite tho...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (228)
27.8%
No (592)
72.2%

Watched Threads