The Student Room Group

Am I making the right choice?

So I've decided to take a year out after this year is over, and then go back to University for second year. This has been something I wanted to do since first semester, as I was never really happy at my university (small place with little option of work/field experience/internships and never really fit in here). I haven't made any 'close' life-long friends, just course mates who I hang out with, but they've all got their own friends too who they're super close with.

The thing is, I'm starting to panic that I made the wrong choice. I wanted to leave because I was genuinely unhappy here, but now I've just finished my last exam I'm scared that when I return for second year, everyone (who will be 3rd years then) wouldn't even give a damn about me anymore, and I'll be even more alone than I was previously.

Is it just that nostalgia effect where everything seems so much better when you're about to lose it? Or am I just feeling the brunt of a bad choice?
Original post by Hannah_Vi
So I've decided to take a year out after this year is over, and then go back to University for second year. This has been something I wanted to do since first semester, as I was never really happy at my university (small place with little option of work/field experience/internships and never really fit in here). I haven't made any 'close' life-long friends, just course mates who I hang out with, but they've all got their own friends too who they're super close with.

The thing is, I'm starting to panic that I made the wrong choice. I wanted to leave because I was genuinely unhappy here, but now I've just finished my last exam I'm scared that when I return for second year, everyone (who will be 3rd years then) wouldn't even give a damn about me anymore, and I'll be even more alone than I was previously.

Is it just that nostalgia effect where everything seems so much better when you're about to lose it? Or am I just feeling the brunt of a bad choice?

The panic will happen but you will come in fresh and make new friends. If you feel that that's what you need to do then that's what you need to do. Good friends will keep in touch no matter what. Have you worked this out with the uni and finance?
Hey, how do you feel? I’m in a similar position and was wondering how it went in the end! Sent you a pm :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending