The Student Room Group

other people with ASD: can you relate to this

I was formally/professionally diagnosed with asd. As you know ASD is characterised by two things: deficits in communication and social interaction, and restrictive repetitive patterns. One of the ways I could summarize the problems in the social area is that almost every time (90%) I try to interact with people I notice them laughing at, scoffing or ignoring me. I often am surprised at how quick after interacting with me different people will just shun me. But what really gets me is that I never figure out why it happens. I think of possible reasons (lack of eye contact, tone of voice, unusual choice of words) but even after spending hours thinking about it I just don't understand/guess why the overwhelming majority of people just don't like out of the blue
Original post by safari24
I was formally/professionally diagnosed with asd. As you know ASD is characterised by two things: deficits in communication and social interaction, and restrictive repetitive patterns. One of the ways I could summarize the problems in the social area is that almost every time (90%) I try to interact with people I notice them laughing at, scoffing or ignoring me. I often am surprised at how quick after interacting with me different people will just shun me. But what really gets me is that I never figure out why it happens. I think of possible reasons (lack of eye contact, tone of voice, unusual choice of words) but even after spending hours thinking about it I just don't understand/guess why the overwhelming majority of people just don't like out of the blue

I can’t say yes enough times, I’m medically diagnosed on the spectrum as well and I spend most of my time avoiding people for this very reason :frown: I can relate to everything you said here OP
Reply 2
Original post by IcelandicSkies
I can’t say yes enough times, I’m medically diagnosed on the spectrum as well and I spend most of my time avoiding people for this very reason :frown: I can relate to everything you said here OP

Thanks for replying, it's nice to know this is not an uncommon thing for people like us. What really baffles me when I am obsessing about why people don't like me is how in my case when I don't like someone it's almost always because they directly offended me in some way, so I'm always doubting whether other people are being bigoted or if I was an ********
Original post by safari24
Thanks for replying, it's nice to know this is not an uncommon thing for people like us. What really baffles me when I am obsessing about why people don't like me is how in my case when I don't like someone it's almost always because they directly offended me in some way, so I'm always doubting whether other people are being bigoted or if I was an ********

Every time. I know what you mean, and I constantly worry that my difficulties with communicating are making people dislike me, it’s a struggle for sure

Quick Reply

Latest