The Student Room Group

are my gcses good enough for uni?

listen, i honestly don't know if uni's are strict on GCSE'S or what not, i mean mine aren't horrendous but they definitely arent the best.
i'm hoping to apply for law in September at
- University of Leeds
- Liverpool University
- Lincoln University
- Northumbria University
- And i'm unsure on the last one!

I'm currently doing A level Law, History, English Lit and have just taken Psychology as an AS.

my gcse grades are -
Maths - 5
English Language - 5
English Lit - 6
Core science - C
Additional science - B
Art - C
ECDL - A*
History - D ( absolutely fuming as my teacher f***ed up the whole years coursework!)

I'm predicted AAA at a level!
looking forward to hearing some of your replies :smile:
thanks lovelies!!!!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phoebetyson
listen, i honestly don't know if uni's are strict on GCSE'S or what not, i mean mine aren't horrendous but they definitely arent the best.
i'm hoping to apply for law in September at
- University of Leeds
- Liverpool University
- Lincoln University
- Northumbria University
- And i'm unsure on the last one!

I'm currently doing A level Law, History, English Lit and have just taken Psychology as an AS.

my gcse grades are -
Maths - 5
English Language - 5
English Lit - 6
Core science - C
Additional science - B
Art - C
ECDL - A*
History - D ( absolutely fuming as my teacher f***ed up the whole years coursework!)

I'm predicted AAA at a level!
looking forward to hearing some of your replies :smile:
thanks lovelies!!!!

A levels are far more important. In a lot of cases unis won't even have specific GCSE requirements so I wold focus on your A levels.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
A levels are far more important. In a lot of cases unis won't even have specific GCSE requirements so I wold focus on your A levels.

great thank you:smile:
Hi, yeah those should be fine for those unis! You should be fine :smile:
I guess for law the only thing that would hold you back would be the English language, but as long as you've checked their requirements you'll be fine. I only got a 4 so i know the struggle :frown:((((((((((((((
Reply 5
Original post by steveeem
I guess for law the only thing that would hold you back would be the English language, but as long as you've checked their requirements you'll be fine. I only got a 4 so i know the struggle :frown:((((((((((((((

ugh i know!!! i honesty thought i did sooo much better than a 5 but i guess its a high C so it doesnt really matter! a 4 is a pass dont put yourself down lovely!! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Unis won’t care don’t worry about it x

How did you get those predicted grades though? My school just lowers whatever grade you got at GCSE by one. Also if you didn’t get at least a B you weren’t allowed to take the A level course at all anyway :/
Reply 7
Original post by megan.louiseeee
Unis won’t care don’t worry about it x

How did you get those predicted grades though? My school just lowers whatever grade you got at GCSE by one. Also if you didn’t get at least a B you weren’t allowed to take the A level course at all anyway :/

i went to a really shite secondary school & i now go to a new sixth form which i absolutely love and can achieve my full potential! my teachers now believe in me unlike at my old school x
ugh i know!!! i honesty thought i did sooo much better than a 5 but i guess its a high C so it doesnt really matter! a 4 is a pass dont put yourself down lovely!! :smile:

Yeah I really regret not getting it remarked. I'm pretty sure I did better than a 4

Spoiler

Wrong question. Ask if they're good enough to let you apply for A-Levels. GCSEs don't matter much at all for Uni. Of what gets considered:
Your A level grades: 90%
Your UCAS personal statement: 9%
Your GCSE grades: 1%

(Just a rough guess)
Original post by steveeem
Yeah I really regret not getting it remarked. I'm pretty sure I did better than a 4

i just think the gcses we took were just crap all round! we were the guinea pigs of the new system, everything was new, we went through lots of stress and we all probably didnt actually achieve our full potential. **** really
Original post by Cuddly Lizard

Spoiler

Wrong question. Ask if they're good enough to let you apply for A-Levels. GCSEs don't matter much at all for Uni. Of what gets considered:
Your A level grades: 90%
Your UCAS personal statement: 9%
Your GCSE grades: 1%

(Just a rough guess)

thats great! thank you
Why is the ECDL a thing lol.
Uni yes

Lincoln, Liverpool, Northumbria

Leeds

Spoiler

Original post by HoldThisL
Why is the ECDL a thing lol.

hahahahahahh i know, easy gcse though i guess
Your A Level grades are ASTOUNDING by the way, congrats!
Reply 16
i just think the gcses we took were just crap all round! we were the guinea pigs of the new system, everything was new, we went through lots of stress and we all probably didnt actually achieve our full potential. **** really

Not really the pass rates were very low. So to get a Grade 5 in Maths(Allow you to get into Sixth Forms and do A Levels) you only needed 30% on every paper. To get a Grade 5 in English Language-it was roughly 55% on every paper. That's all really uni or Sixth Forms care about, English and Maths...I do think they rushed the new system by 1/2 years and the Grade 4/5 Being the same grade is really confusing and misleading.
Original post by ohdearstudying
Your A Level grades are ASTOUNDING by the way, congrats!

thank you so much:smile: i'm working my ass off this year to get 3 A's :smile:
thank you so much:smile: i'm working my ass off this year to get 3 A's :smile:

why not aim higher girl! you seem more than capable of it!!
i went to a really shite secondary school & i now go to a new sixth form which i absolutely love and can achieve my full potential! my teachers now believe in me unlike at my old school x

Aw I’m happy for you :smile:
Smash it and good luck with uni! X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending