The Student Room Group

missed my AS level examinations due to illness

So three days before I was about to sit my AS English unit 1 examination, I was rushed to hospital via ambulance, they decided to keep me in for a week as I had been diagnosed with ‘uncommon bronchitis’ I was having difficulty in breathing . They advised I stay at home and rest for overall 3 weeks. I’m currently on my second week of being at home and have recovered a little bit thank god. My head of year has not mentioned anything in regards to being able to sit the papers, my exam board is WJEC. I had missed English unit 1 and 2, sociology unit 1 and 2. I’m not planning to stay for sixth form as I seek to do other A levels at college instead.
I also paid to resit my maths GCSE which I also missed in the same week ( I had a C but aspire to get an B)
Also paid to resit my bio and chem GCSE as I had a C but wanted a B so I could take it at A level in college:frown: I was ready for that as well 100% prepared.
Because I paid will they let me resit those this year ? As my school term ends sometime in July, will I have time tor resit.

Will I be able to sit my exams or get my predicted grade for AS. Overall I WAS COMPLETELY prepared for my exams in a long time I actually felt confident. Looool confidence got me no where but a hospital bed :/ also I am aware I should be asking these questions at school but my head isn’t replying to my dads emails atm and it’s freaking me out!! I’m not in an okay position either to get up and go to school myself as the walk is 35 mins, I’m not too fit to that that as of now :/
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by tfmnk
So three days before I was about to sit my AS English unit 1 examination, I was rushed to hospital via ambulance, they decided to keep me in for a week as I had been diagnosed with ‘uncommon bronchitis’ I was having difficulty in breathing . They advised I stay at home and rest for overall 3 weeks. I’m currently on my second week of being at home and have recovered a little bit thank god. My head of year has not mentioned anything in regards to being able to sit the papers, my exam board is WJEC. I had missed English unit 1 and 2, sociology unit 1 and 2. I’m not planning to stay for sixth form as I seek to do other A levels at college instead.
I also paid to resit my maths GCSE which I also missed in the same week ( I had a C but aspire to get an B)
Also paid to resit my bio and chem GCSE as I had a C but wanted a B so I could take it at A level in college:frown: I was ready for that as well 100% prepared.
Because I paid will they let me resit those this year ? As my school term ends sometime in July, will I have time tor resit.

Will I be able to sit my exams or get my predicted grade for AS. Overall I WAS COMPLETELY prepared for my exams in a long time I actually felt confident. Looool confidence got me no where but a hospital bed :/ also I am aware I should be asking these questions at school but my head isn’t replying to my dads emails atm and it’s freaking me out!! I’m not in an okay position either to get up and go to school myself as the walk is 35 mins, I’m not too fit to that that as of now :/

Ok from my understanding you were due to sit AS and a number of GCSE.

From what you say you were unable to sit any of them due to being in hospital.

1. The min for them to consider giving you a grade is 25%.

In your situation as you cant meet that, then no grade.

2. This situation with refunds is they take it on a case by case basis.
Of you ask to just be re-entered that is easier than asking for money back I would think.

The rule is;

Where a candidate is unable to sit an examination due to ill health or bereavement and a centre communicates this formally to WJEC within 2 weeks of the examination date (along with an accompanying medical certificate for ill health cases), WJEC may refund the candidate entry fee. Eligibility for refund will be considered on a case by case basis.

These things happen. Get the medical certificate from the hospital and put in for a refund/ credit.

Expect your HT is busy and doesnt know. your exam officer might be able to handle, but they will be busy as well.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for replying, I really appreciate it thank you!!!!
Do you think they’ll let me sit the papers in the next two weeks ?!

Original post by 999tigger
Ok from my understanding you were due to sit AS and a number of GCSE.

From what you say you were unable to sit any of them due to being in hospital.

1. The min for them to consider giving you a grade is 25%.

In your situation as you cant meet that, then no grade.

2. This situation with refunds is they take it on a case by case basis.
Of you ask to just be re-entered that is easier than asking for money back I would think.

The rule is;

Where a candidate is unable to sit an examination due to ill health or bereavement and a centre communicates this formally to WJEC within 2 weeks of the examination date (along with an accompanying medical certificate for ill health cases), WJEC may refund the candidate entry fee. Eligibility for refund will be considered on a case by case basis.

These things happen. Get the medical certificate from the hospital and put in for a refund/ credit.

Expect your HT is busy and doesnt know. your exam officer might be able to handle, but they will be busy as well.
Sorry to hear of your illness. I recently suffered a major chest condition which led me to being put in intensive care as they suspected the infection was about to cause a cardiac arrest so I understand how weak this leaves you. The most important thing is your recovery. Even when you go back it will take weeks before you are normal. You will need a medical certificate which shouldnt be a problem as the medical records will show that you been hospitalised. As far as your exams go contact your examinations officer and get your parents or somebody to take the letter from the doctor/hospital to the school. The school can contsact the WJEC although YOU might decide to ring them directly. It might be you will be allowed to sit in November or alternatively next summer when your do your A2s. In some circumstances you might sit a different board if the WJEC dont do November resits. Discuss matters with your teachers as soon as you are well enough to do so. As far as your resits are concerned most courses at most universities accept a grade C although a few ask for a grade B for science courses. I am slightly concerned you are looking to take science courses having achieved grade B. Science A levels are very difficult and often students who have achieved A or A* find A levels difficult. You clearly need these subjects for whatever you plan but I would ask you seriously consider whether there are better options. Have you consider the Btec in Applied or Medical and Forensic science as an alternative to A levels. Feel free to pm me if you wish.
Are you giving IAL? What subjects are you giving? Plus I honestly admire your confidence and determination. I'd probably love getting sick during my ongoing IAL's hahah. How is your health now?
Original post by tfmnk
Thank you so much for replying, I really appreciate it thank you!!!!
Do you think they’ll let me sit the papers in the next two weeks ?!

Just for your information you should always check with them i,e your exam officer, but that is my reading of the JCQ rules and also those for WJEC. If you had sat 1 of the 2 exams then they could have given you a grade.

No they wont let you sit the papers for exams that have been sat because they are compromised and people know what they contain. You will have to wait till the next session.

If you still have exams scheduled, then they should do if you feel up to it.
Reply 6
Hi, thank you so so much for replying I really appreciate it!
When I sat in my first ever English language lesson I knew it wasn’t for me so from there on I decided I will resit my sciences and get into college this year so I can do biology, chemistry and ICT. I know big drastic change but this will sound maddening, i want to do medicine and if not that then nursing !
I am very determined as when I start something I want to complete it with all my might, this year has been tough on me I missed roughly a month of school due my mother being bed ridden then shortly after that literally two months after she fractured her foot which didn’t allow her to drive .. my dad is out providing for us and it gives me even more determination for what I want to do in the future. I was predicted an B at gcse for sciences but got an C THATS A whole diff story hahahah but I really want it bad to be able to do sciences at A level. I know they are extremely hard I am fully aware but is there possibility that I can look at btec medical ?!?! That’s amazing

Original post by swanseajack1
Sorry to hear of your illness. I recently suffered a major chest condition which led me to being put in intensive care as they suspected the infection was about to cause a cardiac arrest so I understand how weak this leaves you. The most important thing is your recovery. Even when you go back it will take weeks before you are normal. You will need a medical certificate which shouldnt be a problem as the medical records will show that you been hospitalised. As far as your exams go contact your examinations officer and get your parents or somebody to take the letter from the doctor/hospital to the school. The school can contsact the WJEC although YOU might decide to ring them directly. It might be you will be allowed to sit in November or alternatively next summer when your do your A2s. In some circumstances you might sit a different board if the WJEC dont do November resits. Discuss matters with your teachers as soon as you are well enough to do so. As far as your resits are concerned most courses at most universities accept a grade C although a few ask for a grade B for science courses. I am slightly concerned you are looking to take science courses having achieved grade B. Science A levels are very difficult and often students who have achieved A or A* find A levels difficult. You clearly need these subjects for whatever you plan but I would ask you seriously consider whether there are better options. Have you consider the Btec in Applied or Medical and Forensic science as an alternative to A levels. Feel free to pm me if you wish.
Reply 7
As of now we have the school proof and they replied saying they have best wishes for me and hope to se eme soon however when asked about exams etc they haven’t replied, maybe I’m getting paranoid its only been 2 days since the email was sent by my dad
Reply 8
Hi, thank you so much for replying I really appreciate it!!!!
Thank you so much because recently as I made my decision of leaving sixth form neither of my friends have been supportive instead they see it as an impossible step but I have chosen my path and will do whatever I can to not settle for less this time xx my health is good now but I still find it difficult to walk hahah and I’m doing AS levels

Original post by Anneyong &lt
Are you giving IAL? What subjects are you giving? Plus I honestly admire your confidence and determination. I'd probably love getting sick during my ongoing IAL's hahah. How is your health now?
Original post by tfmnk
As of now we have the school proof and they replied saying they have best wishes for me and hope to se eme soon however when asked about exams etc they haven’t replied, maybe I’m getting paranoid its only been 2 days since the email was sent by my dad

You could sit the other Maths papers if you feel well enough; you'd then get a grade.
You can't sit any papers you have already missed.
Original post by tfmnk
Hi, thank you so much for replying I really appreciate it!!!!
Thank you so much because recently as I made my decision of leaving sixth form neither of my friends have been supportive instead they see it as an impossible step but I have chosen my path and will do whatever I can to not settle for less this time xx my health is good now but I still find it difficult to walk hahah and I’m doing AS levels

Oh wait, so you're doing it in the UK now yeah? You're welcome and it's quite sad how your friends aren't supportive of you. Honestly people like you give me motivation to actually open my book hahah. I hope you get well soon <3 Don't stress a lot though, health before anything. Wish you all the best hun :smile:
Original post by tfmnk
Hi, thank you so so much for replying I really appreciate it!
When I sat in my first ever English language lesson I knew it wasn’t for me so from there on I decided I will resit my sciences and get into college this year so I can do biology, chemistry and ICT. I know big drastic change but this will sound maddening, i want to do medicine and if not that then nursing !
I am very determined as when I start something I want to complete it with all my might, this year has been tough on me I missed roughly a month of school due my mother being bed ridden then shortly after that literally two months after she fractured her foot which didn’t allow her to drive .. my dad is out providing for us and it gives me even more determination for what I want to do in the future. I was predicted an B at gcse for sciences but got an C THATS A whole diff story hahahah but I really want it bad to be able to do sciences at A level. I know they are extremely hard I am fully aware but is there possibility that I can look at btec medical ?!?! That’s amazing

you wont get into medicine with a btec but i know of someone who got into Nursing at Swansea
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-nationals/applied-science-2016.html
Entry Requirements

Minimum BBB at A2 level, health or science-related courses desirable. Minimum five grade A-C GCSE passes including Welsh/English language, Maths and a Physical Science or Double Award Science.
In certain circumstances Key Skills Level 3 in Application of Number will be accepted in lieu of GCSE Mathematics and Key Skills Level 3 in Communication will be accepted in lieu of GCSE Welsh/English Language.
There is no advantage in applying to both Swansea and Carmarthen and we strongly advise only applying to your preferred location. For Adult Nursing at Carmarthen go here.

All applicants need to demonstrate a strong educational profile in the previous three to five years

Candidates must demonstrate a detailed understanding of and commitment to Adult Nursing

Care experience is helpful but not essential

Candidates will be expected to participate in group discussions, team work and individual tasks during interviews.

Students whose first language is not English need an IELTS score of 7.0

Alternative requirements:

Access: 24 Distinctions, 18 Merits, 3 Passes

BTEC: DDM

Welsh baccalaureate: Grade B and BB at A2 level or DD at BTEC

Irish leaving certificate: 360

Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79
You could sit the other Maths papers if you feel well enough; you'd then get a grade.
You can't sit any papers you have already missed.

Thank you so much !
Reply 13
Original post by Anneyong &lt
Oh wait, so you're doing it in the UK now yeah? You're welcome and it's quite sad how your friends aren't supportive of you. Honestly people like you give me motivation to actually open my book hahah. I hope you get well soon <3 Don't stress a lot though, health before anything. Wish you all the best hun :smile:

Thank you so much for your support honestly it means a lot !!! Wish you all the best too xx
Reply 14
Original post by swanseajack1
you wont get into medicine with a btec but i know of someone who got into Nursing at Swansea
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-nationals/applied-science-2016.html
Entry Requirements

Minimum BBB at A2 level, health or science-related courses desirable. Minimum five grade A-C GCSE passes including Welsh/English language, Maths and a Physical Science or Double Award Science.
In certain circumstances Key Skills Level 3 in Application of Number will be accepted in lieu of GCSE Mathematics and Key Skills Level 3 in Communication will be accepted in lieu of GCSE Welsh/English Language.
There is no advantage in applying to both Swansea and Carmarthen and we strongly advise only applying to your preferred location. For Adult Nursing at Carmarthen go here.

All applicants need to demonstrate a strong educational profile in the previous three to five years

Candidates must demonstrate a detailed understanding of and commitment to Adult Nursing

Care experience is helpful but not essential

Candidates will be expected to participate in group discussions, team work and individual tasks during interviews.

Students whose first language is not English need an IELTS score of 7.0

Alternative requirements:

Access: 24 Distinctions, 18 Merits, 3 Passes

BTEC: DDM

Welsh baccalaureate: Grade B and BB at A2 level or DD at BTEC

Irish leaving certificate: 360

Wow thank you so so much for this, I have opened up my options so much more now, also viewing medicine with a preliminary year
If you have missed all the exams for a subject they you cannot get a grade.
If there is still an exam to come in a subject then you need to do what you can to sit it - talk to the exam officer asap about what might be possible. In England, the next chance to re-sit is November for GCSE Maths and GCSE English Language and Summer 2019 for anything else. There is slightly more going on in the Winter with WJEC but not a lot.

Quick Reply