The Student Room Group

How many sources in an English Literature essay?

Hi,
I am currently writing my first English Lit essay. I am writing about romantic elements in Novel A and Novel B. I'm just wondering how many sources I need. I mean, I could certainly work with only the two primary texts but that won't be sufficient right?
So what kinds of texts would you suggest using? Articles about the authors/genre ect.?
What would be the minimum amount you would suggest using?

By the way, the essay is 2000 words..
Thanks in advance!
Hi there,

2000 words is really quite short so in terms of primary sources I would go for quality rather than quantity. If you can write really well on two primary novels then that is more than enough. Even 1 novel might suffice but it will depend on the question and what your tutor has advised you.

In terms of secondary sources, there really is no specific number. Again, it's quality not quantity. I would start off searching JSTOR for articles and look out for chapters in books that seem relevant and interesting for your topic. The main thing you want to look for is arguments that support or contradict your argument that you can use to make your argument the most convincing. Remember to cite all your sources as per any style guide you've been given!

I hope this helps.

Lilith

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending