The Student Room Group

IB subject choices: is it too much ?

Hi guys,
I'm going to start the IB in September.
When I chose my subjects I didn't really think about the workload.
I chose:
HL: Physics, chemistry and math
SL: English A, Spanish B and economics
Since I came here tho, I've read that the IB is extremely difficult and now I'm a bit scared.
Are my concern justified ?
Reply 1
Original post by Matt28900
Hi guys,
I'm going to start the IB in September.
When I chose my subjects I didn't really think about the workload.
I chose:
HL: Physics, chemistry and math
SL: English A, Spanish B and economics
Since I came here tho, I've read that the IB is extremely difficult and now I'm a bit scared.
Are my concern justified ?

ayyy, I'm just finishing DP1 and do the exact same classes except my Language B is Italian instead of Spanish lol. Since we have such similar classes, I hope you'll find my advice helpful :smile:

First, I'll start by saying that there's a reason Math/Physics/Chem as your HLs are called the Triangle of Death. NGL, they are probably the hardest combination of HLs you can take. That said, there are a lot of things people don't realize about them.

In my experience, ALL the time I spent revising is spent on my HLs, and of that I'd say 80-90% is for Math alone. Math HL is so so so much harder than any other class I do that it may as well be from another planet. To give you an idea, I set aside one hour every single day to study math, where I mostly do extra textbook questions and past exam papers. It may seem excessive to you but it's the only way to keep up with this class.

Physics and Chemistry HL, on the other hand, are way easier than people would have you believe. For Chemistry, all you have to do is pay attention in class and not fall behind on the content and you could probably get a 6 without studying for a minute. Physics is a little more challenging because it's more math-based, but the mathematical skills you're expected to have for physics don't go very far beyond algebra, rearranging, and middle-school trigonometry so it's nothing to worry about. The concepts may give you a bit of a hard time to grasp, but once you do it'll be smooth sailing.

Now, the answer you were waiting for: is it too much? Probably. But let me explain.

It depends mainly on where you want to go/ what you want to do in uni. If you're dead set on doing physics or engineering in a World Top 50 place, these classes are practically inescapable sadly. (This is what I'm aiming for so I'm kind of locked in here lol.)

But if you're cool with being in the Top 50-100 range (which are still fan-****ing-tastic, mind you, and you'll probably feel very little difference when it comes to getting a job with your degree), or you don't want to do a hard STEM course like eng. or compsci, then you can get away with doing Math at SL, which will make a night-and-day difference in your life.

As my dean says, it's about playing the game. Don't commit to something that will take over your life if you're not ready to do that for two years. But if you're willing and able, then go for it.

Good luck, and if there's anything else you want to know, ask away, young grasshopper :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you very much for your advice ! I guess I'm stuck too because I want to study theoretical physics at uni. Hope for the best.
Btw, should I revise something during summer (especially math) ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending