The Student Room Group

why does my uni teach directly from text book

every module i took on my course the content was directly from a text book the slides were often word for word from it. so why isnt it all taught from scratch slides written in own words etc. tell me
Original post by KimTrumpUn
every module i took on my course the content was directly from a text book the slides were often word for word from it. so why isnt it all taught from scratch slides written in own words etc. tell me

You take Theology?????
Why would they? Extra effort in return for what?
Reply 3
Original post by Grade9inRS
You take Theology?????

no
chances are they don't need to write anything different - if you memorise the textbook, you'll get the marks. Therefore, if they just teach you the textbook, you'll get the marks. There's no reason for them to put it into different words if the meaning is the same.

Just out of interest, what course do you do (and where)? X
Reply 5
Original post by RubesACline
chances are they don't need to write anything different - if you memorise the textbook, you'll get the marks. Therefore, if they just teach you the textbook, you'll get the marks. There's no reason for them to put it into different words if the meaning is the same.

Just out of interest, what course do you do (and where)? X

yeah but if got phd in the subject why not write the whole syllabus from scratch
business finance from a welsh uni
How do you believe it affects your education when your teachers/lecturers are using text books in this way?

Do you have a problem with either the content or the quality of those text books? Are they written by an author who doesn't know the subject very well? are they poorly explained? are there topics missing from the books?
Reply 7
Original post by winterscoming
How do you believe it affects your education when your teachers/lecturers are using text books in this way?

Do you have a problem with either the content or the quality of those text books? Are they written by an author who doesn't know the subject very well? are they poorly explained? are there topics missing from the books?

its the money this text book is £20 second hand on amazon. and i pay thousands for teacher to copy it out of text book onto slides and read them off
no

what then???? Philosophy???? Psychology of Religion???? Religious Studies???? In depth study of religion????? Law???? Theological Law?????
Poor-quality academics? Or high-quality researchers who think the courses are far below them so rely on textbooks?

Likely the former if it is every single module. Do you go to Aber or Bangor?
Original post by Grade9inRS
what then???? Philosophy???? Psychology of Religion???? Religious Studies???? In depth study of religion????? Law???? Theological Law?????

i study business finance with gcse rs
Original post by Notoriety
Poor-quality academics? Or high-quality researchers who think the courses are far below them so rely on textbooks?

Likely the former if it is every single module. Do you go to Aber or Bangor?

doesnt ur uni do the same
no swansea
doesnt ur uni do the same
no swansea

Swansea is same difference unfortunately.

And no, they didn't. Had only one lecturer, who taught only one topic in land law (covenants), who did it but that was because he was incredibly arrogant and couldn't be bothered to research it himself. He got sacked shortly after.
i study business finance with gcse rs

Oooo is it grade 9-1 rs???
The text book is really good.
The text book is a good enough prompt.
The lecturer is really poor or lazy.
The lecturer is really good and just uses the book as a guide.
that's what you get when you pay £9250 a year
(edited 5 years ago)

You know your entire module is in the textbook, you could start your revision early and ace your exams and not have to bother turning up for class. Or read ahead of the class and impress your mates by answering every question the tutor throws at the class. You're getting it easy.

Or do STEM where your tutor puts up nada on moodle so you have to turn up to class. Then the evil tutor will write a partial maths work out on the white board and ask one lucky student to finish it off. Risking total humiliation in class if student f**ks it up. Then tutor picks YOU......:eek:
its better that way, when lecturers produce their own notes, they use the same notes for 5 years, even through the syllabus changes 10% each year and 30% of the topics are not covered in detail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending