The Student Room Group

is law for me?

I'm currently studying A-level Chem, Biology and Arabic. I'm no longer enjoying sciences so I am looking for a change. the only course I could think of is law.
my English is good, make the odd spelling mistake and only got a C at GCSEs.
Anyone studying law want to help?
What do you want to know??

To me it sounds like you've just picked this out of thin air really and therefore will you actually enjoy it..........

do you like reading and i mean reading lots? do you have an interest in the law? do you want to help people? These are a just a few questions to ask yourself really.

All too many students think you have to go to uni these days because their friends are or your pressure to or you its the norm, you don't. Go work if your unsure, don't waste the limited funding you can get on a course your not going to do very well on or wont enjoy or both. Find your passion first then decide.
Original post by james_law
What do you want to know??

To me it sounds like you've just picked this out of thin air really and therefore will you actually enjoy it..........

do you like reading and i mean reading lots? do you have an interest in the law? do you want to help people? These are a just a few questions to ask yourself really.

All too many students think you have to go to uni these days because their friends are or your pressure to or you its the norm, you don't. Go work if your unsure, don't waste the limited funding you can get on a course your not going to do very well on or wont enjoy or both. Find your passion first then decide.

To be fair, quite difficult to know if you have an interest in academic law if you've never experienced it. I think few people have an informed opinion when they decide to apply. I also don't think wanting to help people is a necessary quality in an academic lawyer.
Original post by Notoriety
To be fair, quite difficult to know if you have an interest in academic law if you've never experienced it. I think few people have an informed opinion when they decide to apply. I also don't think wanting to help people is a necessary quality in an academic lawyer.

Very true I appreciate it is hard to understand what it will actually be like. In reference to helping people, i meant it towards a solicitor/barrister. I.e. like want to help people so thinking of the bigger picture so one must do a law degree to achieve this, rather than in relation to academic law. In terms of what I've said, it maybe be assumption based towards becoming a solicitor/barrister afterwards.

But you must have reason for doing the degree, you need to enjoy it. My motivation was that i was very interested by all things law and that i wanted to help people and become a solicitor in the end.
Original post by james_law
Very true I appreciate it is hard to understand what it will actually be like. In reference to helping people, i meant it towards a solicitor/barrister. I.e. like want to help people so thinking of the bigger picture so one must do a law degree to achieve this, rather than in relation to academic law. In terms of what I've said, it maybe be assumption based towards becoming a solicitor/barrister afterwards.

But you must have reason for doing the degree, you need to enjoy it. My motivation was that i was very interested by all things law and that i wanted to help people and become a solicitor in the end.

Fair enough. I would add that as a solicitor, even on the high street and giving the most direct assistance to people in crisis, it is a rather technical exercise. In other words, I as a misanthrope can give members of the public legal advice because the technical challenge is not only there and satisfying but it is "the job". As opposed to being a care worker where your task is to be empathetic.
I have pulled it out of thin air, I got sick of doing science based subjects so I’ve decided to take a different path and the only one that interests me is law.
I just need an insight in law as everyone I’ve spoken to has spoken down on it.
“it’s a long course”
“It’s super hard”
“it’s all reading”
“you spend your life writing essays”
And to add salt to the wounds, no one has ever spoken good about the course
However I’m still really interested
Original post by Cat-shin-shoe
I have pulled it out of thin air, I got sick of doing science based subjects so I’ve decided to take a different path and the only one that interests me is law.
I just need an insight in law as everyone I’ve spoken to has spoken down on it.
“it’s a long course”
“It’s super hard”
“it’s all reading”
“you spend your life writing essays”
And to add salt to the wounds, no one has ever spoken good about the course
However I’m still really interested

Well I would try my best to find out if your really going to like it.

Yes its a long course, like any other course really.
No, its not super hard. If you enjoy it and work hard, it makes learning super easy and therefore you'll naturally do well.
Yes there is a lot of reading; cases, textbooks, statutes etc
Alot is based upon writing essays, but its dependant upon alot of different factors and how your module is assessed.

I for one thoroughly enjoy law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending