The Student Room Group

Any Christians out there? Help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You forgot St Sexburga. Losing your touch, bear :rolleyes:

oh my.... that wasn't your Confirmation Name was it T_L_G ? :flute:
Original post by pereira325
Context matters I suppose. At this stage neither you or me are a higher religious person so it's just going to be your opinion v my opinion, and for now I disagree. The bible is 2000+ years old and if we don't read between the lines it will reduce it's usefulness. For instance when they mention casting lots in the temple or stuff like that clearly that doesn't happen anymore... but it's relevance is very real for modern gambling.

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding" Can't argue with that.
Original post by the bear
oh my.... that wasn't your Confirmation Name was it T_L_G ? :flute:

Mine was St Cecilia :musicus:
You can call me out on it all you like :smile: Are you Roman Catholic yourself? :jebus:

Yes , and yourself? Now anyway I guess...
Original post by natty_b
Basically I've been brought up in a Catholic household (my dad's a highly observant Catholic whereas my mum isn't very religious) and the question of confirmation has been brought up a few times in the past but my dad seems adamant that I get confirmed as soon as I can. However there's a minor problem; I'm agnostic (I don't believe in God necessarily, but I don't think he doesn't exist altogether). I personally feel that it's wrong to get confirmed if I don't believe in God which is why I don't want to go through with it. My mum knows that I don't believe in God but my dad doesn't and I'd like to keep it that way so there's no drama, but my dad's been increasingly pressurising that I get confirmed even though I don't want to. What do I do?
well, if you don't go through confirmation now, you will be asked to do it if you plan to marry religiously : some people in fact have to go, in succession, through baptism, confirmation and marriage in a single religious crescendo...

all of this in order to "keep the family happy" : not very serious, in my view. However, not very important, either. If necessary, do it : no one gets harmed by a sacrament, anyway

best
Yes , and yourself? Now anyway I guess...

OK. And may I ask if you've been born/brought up in the UK? :smile: I'm a cradle Catholic :jebus:
Christians are haram.
(edited 5 years ago)
What's the point of getting confirmed if you don't even believe in God? It's not like it'll get you into heaven or score you any points with God anyway
Original post by natty_b
Basically I've been brought up in a Catholic household (my dad's a highly observant Catholic whereas my mum isn't very religious) and the question of confirmation has been brought up a few times in the past but my dad seems adamant that I get confirmed as soon as I can. However there's a minor problem; I'm agnostic (I don't believe in God necessarily, but I don't think he doesn't exist altogether). I personally feel that it's wrong to get confirmed if I don't believe in God which is why I don't want to go through with it. My mum knows that I don't believe in God but my dad doesn't and I'd like to keep it that way so there's no drama, but my dad's been increasingly pressurising that I get confirmed even though I don't want to. What do I do?

I know Christianity is different from the more cultural Hinduism, but if you're agnostic then why not just do it? You're going to have a Christian wedding and funeral, and you follow the christian calendar, names, etc...
OK. And may I ask if you've been born/brought up in the UK? :smile: I'm a cradle Catholic :jebus:

Yep. Had to google what cradle Catholic meant but yeah I would be one too then.
Yep. Had to google what cradle Catholic meant but yeah I would be one too then.

Fair enough. Perhaps you move in more stringent Catholic circles than I do :tongue: But I stand by everything I've said (hypocritical or not - note I never claimed to be the best RC person out there :tongue: ) :jebus:
Fair enough. Perhaps you move in more stringent Catholic circles than I do :tongue: But I stand by everything I've said (hypocritical or not - note I never claimed to be the best RC person out there :tongue: ) :jebus:

Fair enough. I'm not perfect either and I suppose we as human's can't be inherently through original sin :tongue:
Saying that, I like to minimise the offence I cause to God. It's really my own thinking as my parent's aren't strict with me on it... but yeah I just think how I do and try to believe what I think is "right". It does mean I don't agree with everything in the catholic church doctrine and I change my mind on things!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending