The Student Room Group

BA Photography switching to MA Cinematography?

Hi I was just wondering if anyone from a photography background has gone down a different pathway post-graduation?

My tastes have changed and I'm looking to broaden my horizons creatively, but I'm not sure I'd be accepted.

I have zero experience in filmmaking and I am not sure if photography is classed as a 'related' degree, because they are obviously quite different.
My degree was basically all academic theory, with very little practical teaching about technical photography, I am self taught in that field.
Original post by sjaphotoarts
Hi I was just wondering if anyone from a photography background has gone down a different pathway post-graduation?

My tastes have changed and I'm looking to broaden my horizons creatively, but I'm not sure I'd be accepted.

I have zero experience in filmmaking and I am not sure if photography is classed as a 'related' degree, because they are obviously quite different.
My degree was basically all academic theory, with very little practical teaching about technical photography, I am self taught in that field.

Any decent MA Cinematography is going to want to see a showreel. If you haven’t been able to develop that in your degree then putting some work together asap and getting feedback from universities should be your top priority.
Original post by PQ
Any decent MA Cinematography is going to want to see a showreel. If you haven’t been able to develop that in your degree then putting some work together asap and getting feedback from universities should be your top priority.

Yeah I won't have the time to make anything decent to show. They all seem to add 'and any relevant experience', which I don't have.
I do have the opportunity to do MA photography but I know they won't teach anything about cinematography and I don't know if making a film in that degree would be appropriate/allowed.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by sjaphotoarts
Yeah I won't have the time to make anything decent to show. They all seem to add 'and any relevant experience', which I don't have.
I do have the opportunity to do MA photography but I know they won't teach anything about cinematography and I don't know if making a film in that degree would be appropriate/allowed.

You don't have to go straight into a masters after a degree. Try to find some work and use your free time to develop a showreel and apply to start next year OR look for a more general MA Film that's a specific conversion course (I think Kent offer an MA Film with no requirement for a film background).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending