The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University 2019 Applicants

Making the previous threat for 2018 DU Applicants, I thought I would make another one for the 2019 applicants, especially after working at Durham during the open days and meeting so many potential students!

Well done for considering Durham as your potential university! It is a place of world class education ( TEF Gold Award), friendships, sport, and so much more.

Introduce yourselves and if you want, give a little summary!

GCSE:
A Level / IB / other predicted / achieved:
Course:
Other university choices:
Firm/Insurance:
What college are you considering:

Scroll to see replies

Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Currently at the open day so think I might fill this in to complete later...

GCSE- 10A*s and 1A (A^ in Further Maths, 987 in Maths, Lit and Lang respectively).

A level- currently studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics (AS in Chem).

Course: MATHS!!!😀

Colleges interested in: St Mary's.

Other university choices: Oxford, St Andrews, Nottingham and Warwick

Firm/ Insurance: TBD
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi there, I'm Dan!

So about myself...

GCSEs: 1A*(9), 4As, 5Bs (With contextual factors)

A Levels: French, Geography and English Language - Achieved A*AB at the end of year 12, hopeful of predictions of A*AA

Course: Japanese Studies

Colleges interested in: St Cuthbert's or St Chad's

Other choices: Oxford, Manchester, Birmingham and Sheffield (Birmingham and Manchester to apply for French and Japanese)

Firm: If I get an Offer from either Oxford or Durham, I'll put it as my firm. I will most likely put Manchester as an insurance
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by prostheticzeta
Making the previous threat for 2018 DU Applicants, I thought I would make another one for the 2019 applicants, especially after working at Durham during the open days and meeting so many potential students!

Well done for considering Durham as your potential university! It is a place of world class education ( TEF Gold Award), friendships, sport, and so much more.

Introduce yourselves and if you want, give a little summary!

GCSE:
A Level / IB / other predicted / achieved:
Course:
Other university choices:
Firm/Insurance:
What college are you considering:

Bugger, you beat me to it! I was looking forward to making the 2019 thread! Well, at least I'll be able to answer questions on this one from the perspective of a student (hopefully!) come October :biggrin:
Original post by plklupu
Bugger, you beat me to it! I was looking forward to making the 2019 thread! Well, at least I'll be able to answer questions on this one from the perspective of a student (hopefully!) come October :biggrin:

All the best for results day! What subject did you apply for?
Original post by Cryptokyo
All the best for results day! What subject did you apply for?

Thank you! I applied for the MSci in NatSci, specifically Maths and CS, but I think I'll switch into just the CS MEng. Shame I can't do two undergrad degrees back-to-back :frown:
Original post by plklupu
Thank you! I applied for the MSci in NatSci, specifically Maths and CS, but I think I'll switch into just the CS MEng. Shame I can't do two undergrad degrees back-to-back :frown:

Ah right! That is a shame. :frown: I've just finished my first year doing maths. I did a computer science module as an elective - I think it was called Introduction to Programming or something like that.
Original post by Cryptokyo
Ah right! That is a shame. :frown: I've just finished my first year doing maths. I did a computer science module as an elective - I think it was called Introduction to Programming or something like that.

It is a massive shame, since the bits of CompSci that really interest me are the theoretical and mathematical bits, and I would love to do maths too; I initially thought doing a joint degree would be a "best of both worlds" scenario but I realised that a) the module weighting & prerequisites at Durham (which I didn't look at when applying, oops!) means that I'd be doing tiny bits of maths and missing a few important bits of CS, and b) CS departments teach their bits of CS-related maths from the CS viewpoint, which is more useful for my future plans, so I had to prioritise :frown: hopefully I can still combine them for my PhD!
I think if I do switch for the CS MEng (my mind is 90% made up haha), my first year optional module will be Stats, because I loved that at A Level! :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi!! I’m Sophia :smile:
Gcses: 4A*s/9s 5As and 1B

A Levels: history economics English lit
A*A*A

Course: IR

Colleges: st cuthberts or st Mary’s

Other choices: Bristol, Cardiff, ucl and I’m deciding between LSE
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Synthetic Dozen
^^ Sorry for the notification Sophie, couldn't find a reply to thread button lmao
GCSE: 9, 8, 6, A*, A, A, A, A, A, D :frown:
A Level: Doing maths, physics, econ and comp Sci, predicted A*A*A*A*
Course: Computer Science (MEng)
Other university choices: Cambridge, UCL, imperial, ?
Firm/Insurance: TBD
What college are you considering: Idk yet

It’s fine!! My sisters actually doing CompSci at Cambridge!
Original post by Sophbarry16
Hi!! I’m Sophia :smile:
Gcses: 4A*s/9s 5As and 1B

A Levels: history economics English lit and maths AS
WE still haven’t gotten predicated grades but hopefully A*A*A

Course: law!

Colleges: st cuthberts or st Mary’s

Other choices: Bristol, Manchester, Nottingham and I’m deciding between UCL & Exeter (no Oxbridge what a shocker!!)

Firm: Durham or oxford and then probably notts as an insurance

Oxford as potential firm despite not applying there? A bold strategy, best of luck haha
Hi, I'm Lilla! I'm currently suffering through the IB :smile:
10-11 year grades: 4A* 3A
IB: Physics, Maths, English A HL, CompSci, Psychology, French SL, predicted 45 (hopefully!)
Course: Natural Science!
Other university choices: Cambridge, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Lancaster
Firm/Insurance: no idea
Original post by plklupu
Oxford as potential firm despite not applying there? A bold strategy, best of luck haha

That was a mistake oh my god!! You can tell there’s too much on my mind 😂😂 I meant Bristol, however if oxford approached me lol
Hi, i'm kaliyah. Currently struggling through A Levels
GCSE: 974 1A 2B's 2C's 3D's 1F
A Level / IB / other predicted / achieved: English Literature, Business Studies and Government & Politics A*AA (I'm personally aiming for 3 A*'s tbh
Course: Law
Other university choices: Birmingham, Leeds, Oxford, Bristol
Firm/Insurance: Tbh if I get accepted to both then I know for a fact I'd Firm Durham and insure Birmingham
What college are you considering: I've always loved St Cuthbert's but a girl can dream for University College.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
My name is Helena
GCSE: 9A* (only did 1 year of study so didn't do a full 12)
IB predicted: 45
Course: Physics, Physics + maths, or engineering
Other University choices: Oxford, Imperial, Bath, Warwick, Bristol, St. Andrews, Edinburgh (yep i gotta narrow down the list)
Have no idea as to colleges.
Reply 16
Dropping our name into the thread - happy to answer questions or poll the student base for questions. This account technically belongs to the Durfess facebook page but for the moment only I have the password. We try and keep a little bit of a community for all of the Durham students to drop bombshells on each other but when not doing that we try and help where we can.

Feel free to drop me a PM, or the Facebook page a PM and I'll either answer it or find somebody who can!
I have a deferred offer for 2019 for law but can't find a thread :'(

GCSE: A*A*A*AAAAAABD (D in music, my dyspraxic self wanted to do german but apparently not lol)

A Level: A*AA (English lit, psychology, RS)

My offer is for Grey. I applied for university but tbh I think grey looks great so I'm very happy with that :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by notveryoriginal
I have a deferred offer for 2019 for law but can't find a thread :'(

GCSE: A*A*A*AAAAAABD (D in music, my dyspraxic self wanted to do german but apparently not lol)

A Level: A*AA (English lit, psychology, RS)

My offer is for Grey. I applied for university but tbh I think grey looks great so I'm very happy with that :smile:

Grey will be excellent for Law - you're the closest you can get to your lectures!
Hi, an international student here. We do have our own local qualification but since I have US qualifications as well I’ll just put them here.

ACT: 36/6
SAT2: 800 (math2), 790 (Bio), 790 (Chem)
APs: 5s in Psych, Calc AB, Stats, Bio, Chem, Macro, Micro
Course: Psychology
Other choices: Oxford, UCL, Bristol, Bath (at the moment)
Firm/Insurance: Firm Oxford, can’t say for sure about the rest yet.
College: I’m not sure! Hoping someone here could give an input - I’d like a college near activity and drinks, don’t really think I’d like being up on a hill that much. I’d like a friendly vibe but it’s not super important.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest