The Student Room Group

alevels english lit or psychology

could someone tell me what is the better subject what is more easier to grasp and easier to get a decent grade in? whats the work load like how does each subject work
I do both subjects for AS
English can be pretty boring but I find it pretty easy. The essays can be pretty long as well. But the good thing is that you can have any opinion on the text and as long as you explain it you’ll get the marks.

Psychology is a lot as well. I don’t really like psychology but that’s because my teachers are boring. I find it more difficult than English as I have to memorise a lot more.

So for English lit, one of my papers is poetry and a play. The poetry is pretty easy and the same as GCSE as in you just compare two poems that you already learn in lesson. The play is also pretty easy and it’s just one essay.
The other paper is about he prose which is a comparison with two novels you’ve studied.
I did AS (Now onto A level) so mine might be different.

Psychology was pretty difficult a lot of memorisation of studies and evaluations. It was basically like a science paper in GCSE though as in how the questions are set out.

Any other questions I’d be happy to answer
I can't tell you about psychology as i've not studied it. I do English Lit at AS though. From what i've found it's not too difficult to grasp if you have a solid revision plan in place to learn quotes etc for mock exams while doing practice essays to improve essay skills. However, I cannot stress enough to check the collection of texts offered and to see if they're something you will enjoy; I personally find Shakespeare very boring so I find it difficult to revise - but there are a lot of other texts I really like. Make sure you like most of the texts offered before picking English lit because if you don't like most of them then you sill find the course boring - which will impact your motivation to revise and perhaps your grade as a consequence.
To be honest both courses are not easy. I study English literature and Psychology.

Psychology as a subject is very interesting but involves a lot of evaluation points to remember/memorise which is a lot to take in especially when you’ve got 2 years worth of content to remember. I have currently done my mocks for my first year and found that completing past paper questions is a good form of revision. The layout of the questions are varied so you’ll have maybe 1-2 multiple choice questions, 16 markers, 12 markers, 6 markers and maybe 4 markers. You must know your content quite well to be able to answer exam questions as they are not as straightforward. Some questions require application skills- so you would have to remember what you’ve learnt and apply it to the situation given in the exam question.

English Literature is an essay based subject. Also, your written communication must be cohesive and fluent all the way through to demonstrate consistency within your argument that you are presenting.

I’m studying:
- ‘Othello’ by William Shakespeare
- ‘The Color Purple’ by Alice Walker
- ‘Translations’ by Brian Friel
- ‘Feminine Gospels’ by Carol Ann Duffy
- ‘Rebecca’ by Daphne Du Maurier
- ‘Love through the ages pre-1900 poetry’.

However alongside this you will also answer an unseen poem and prose question, which you will have to analyse.

You will study a range of texts, so at the end of the two years you will sit your main exams, however it depends on your college whether they enter you for AS or A- Level. For English Literature I am aware that you have coursework which is worth 20% where you use choose your own two texts that you would like to compare and make up your own question. One piece of advice that I do recommend is to keep your question simple and straightforward, don’t try to over complicate things. The good thing about English Literature is that there’s no right or wrong answer as it depends on how you interpret certain things however your opinion could be supported with a critic.

Hope that helps!!!
Feel free to ask any questions... I’m more than happy to answer!
(edited 5 years ago)
English Lit is a facilitating subject, so you'd likrly be better off taking it if your future plans involve university. Psychology also has a massive workload compared to English. What else are you intending to study btw?
I would say Psychology, I picked English Lit and totally regret it. I would say only do it if you're really really interested in it and you could maybe ask your school which books you would be studying so that you could have a look over them to see if they're of interest? I know a lot of people that do psychology and they really enjoy it, I don't know anyone that regrets picking it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Rhodesian
I do both subjects for AS
English can be pretty boring but I find it pretty easy. The essays can be pretty long as well. But the good thing is that you can have any opinion on the text and as long as you explain it you’ll get the marks.

Psychology is a lot as well. I don’t really like psychology but that’s because my teachers are boring. I find it more difficult than English as I have to memorise a lot more.

So for English lit, one of my papers is poetry and a play. The poetry is pretty easy and the same as GCSE as in you just compare two poems that you already learn in lesson. The play is also pretty easy and it’s just one essay.
The other paper is about he prose which is a comparison with two novels you’ve studied.
I did AS (Now onto A level) so mine might be different.

Psychology was pretty difficult a lot of memorisation of studies and evaluations. It was basically like a science paper in GCSE though as in how the questions are set out.

Any other questions I’d be happy to answer

Thank you well thing is I'm going to retake year12 with completely different subjects I currently take the science and law and absolutely detest them I was very nieve going into year 12 thinking it doesn't matter if I don't like a subject I can just do what I did in gcse plus I never really enjoyed the science subjects so I just don't understand why I chose it to be frank but hey we learn from our mistakes I'm quite a creative person and loved gcse literature got An A*/8 .But was really silly and didn't chose it my college does ocr and heard that it's quite difficult compared I just want to study a subject that I can really dive in deep analyse and really enjoy

Thank you so much for your reply

Quick Reply

Latest