The Student Room Group

Can you make friends at uni while living at home?

My house where I live with my mum and 2 brothers is an hour walk or 5-10 minute train ride from my uni.
Mum's said I can continue to live with them for free so I don't have to worry about rent/bills/money in general as long as I help look after my little brothers on her long days at work, which I already do (6am-6pm, 3 days a week, taking them to and from school, helping with homework, making dinner, ect)
I looked and there's a film club and an LGBT society. I did film up until AS and I'm the B part of LGBT, so I figure I could do those.
I'm signed up to campussociety, where I've already met someone doing the same course as me at the same uni, and we became fb friends and talked for a bit, and she seems alright.

I'm just concerned that I'll struggle to make friends at uni since I live at home. Is it impossible to do both?
Original post by Anonymous
My house where I live with my mum and 2 brothers is an hour walk or 5-10 minute train ride from my uni.
Mum's said I can continue to live with them for free so I don't have to worry about rent/bills/money in general as long as I help look after my little brothers on her long days at work, which I already do (6am-6pm, 3 days a week, taking them to and from school, helping with homework, making dinner, ect)
I looked and there's a film club and an LGBT society. I did film up until AS and I'm the B part of LGBT, so I figure I could do those.
I'm signed up to campussociety, where I've already met someone doing the same course as me at the same uni, and we became fb friends and talked for a bit, and she seems alright.

I'm just concerned that I'll struggle to make friends at uni since I live at home. Is it impossible to do both?

Really depends on how much you can go out at night and how drift your parents are.

I doubt you will struggle to make friends if you try and you probably will have to put a bit more effort in compared to those who live on campus.

That being said you are quite lucky as 5-10 minute train journey is not that much, my one was 1 hour!
Reply 2
Really depends on how much you can go out at night and how drift your parents are.

I doubt you will struggle to make friends if you try and you probably will have to put a bit more effort in compared to those who live on campus.

That being said you are quite lucky as 5-10 minute train journey is not that much, my one was 1 hour!

Just mum and she's alright about it, so long as I check in/let her know what's going on every couple of hours. Plus, she prefers me going out in summer as it gets dark later. She says I can't be out late in winter since I'm a girl.
And oh no! Did you at least manage to get stuff done on the ride?
Just mum and she's alright about it, so long as I check in/let her know what's going on every couple of hours. Plus, she prefers me going out in summer as it gets dark later. She says I can't be out late in winter since I'm a girl.
And oh no! Did you at least manage to get stuff done on the ride?

I had friends but not like best friends and I couldn't go out clubbing as the last trains left well before some clubs even opened.

I did leave early in the morning to go to the gym and do some preparation for the day ahead bit this involved me waking up at 4:30 am but I think it was well worth it as it allowed me time to relax in the evenings.

It is definitely possible to do both. I'm in my second (going on to third year) student living at home. I had the exact same worries before I started uni. I made quite a few friends in my first year through seminars and lectures, because everyone will still be in the same boat, living in halls or not. You might have different modules every term and might be separated from the friends you first meet, but it gives you a great opportunity to meet more wonderful people.

You might even click with people more as you're a local. You can suggest places and be the local expert.

Joining societies definitely helped. You'll get another set of friends who have the same interest as you and you can learn what other subject departments are like.

Don't worry too much, just be yourself, join those societies and remember that everyone will be in the same boat - being a first year, starting a new subject/course/modules - living at home won't affect you meeting new people and making friends. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending