The Student Room Group

As a male, is it worth using Tinder if you are only average looking?

I'm thinking of using Tinder to find some dates and meet some girls. My standards aren't high in terms of looks. I just want to find a girl who I get along with and there is some chemistry between us.

But I'm only average looking at best. Will it be a waste of time if I'm only average looking?

I know online dating depends heavily on your looks and if you're not good looking as a male, you stand little chance (so I have heard). Regardless of how "good" your profile is or how much effort you put into your message to girls.

If any girl wants to see my photo/me on webcam and rate my looks (to determine if I would have any success on Tinder), please reply to this post and I will PM you.

Scroll to see replies

As a male you need to stop being a ***** and relying on an app to find you someone. Do you not realise how pathetic that is? Run around outside and speak to random people. Meet people from links you might have. That seems way better than an app probably just full of people who are desperate af.
Reply 2
Original post by Dragon5555
As a male you need to stop being a ***** and relying on an app to find you someone. Do you not realise how pathetic that is? Run around outside and speak to random people. Meet people from links you might have. That seems way better than an app probably just full of people who are desperate af.
Yes I could do all that as well. But I can use Tinder as well. They are not mutually exclusive.

So back to the original question which you didn't answer. Is it worth using Tinder if you're only average looking?

I never had any success with normal online dating on sites like OkCupid and PlentyofFish (girls didn't reply to my messages), so I'm guessing it will be more of the same on Tinder, right?
Original post by Anonymous
Yes I could do all that as well. But I can use Tinder as well. They are not mutually exclusive.

So back to the original question which you didn't answer. Is it worth using Tinder if you're only average looking?

I never had any success with normal online dating on sites like OkCupid and PlentyofFish (girls didn't reply to my messages), so I'm guessing it will be more of the same on Tinder, right?

Tinder is clearly for people who prioritise looks. Most online dating websites are like that. The first thing they see online is your profile picture. If you look average af then I don't know why people would click. They hardly get an insight into your personality so why would they click on you...right? Which is why I think irl sht is better as you could express more from other areas of you and not just looks which most the hoes on their are going to judge you based on.
It's worth a go but seeing as Tinder only judges by first appearence might be worth trying through sites focussing more on personality

If dating sites in general don't work for you then maybe try IRL, actually going out to groups or whatever on your interests
Reply 5
I know a guy who's pretty average (imo) and got a girlfriend through Tinder. Not much harm in trying.
It's not worth using dating sites full stop.
Reply 7
Original post by Dragon5555
Tinder is clearly for people who prioritise looks. Most online dating websites are like that. The first thing they see online is your profile picture. If you look average af then I don't know why people would click. They hardly get an insight into your personality so why would they click on you...right? Which is why I think irl sht is better as you could express more from other areas of you and not just looks which most the hoes on their are going to judge you based on.
Ok fair enough. Even if I went for the less good looking girls on Tinder? Like I say, I am not picky in terms of looks. Unless she looks like Susan Boyle or something. :P
Reply 8
Original post by Kn1ghtyKn1ght
It's worth a go but seeing as Tinder only judges by first appearence might be worth trying through sites focussing more on personality

If dating sites in general don't work for you then maybe try IRL, actually going out to groups or whatever on your interests
Dating sites have never worked for me. I barely get a single reply to my messages and on the very rare occasion I do get a reply, they either say they are not interested, only looking for friends or have a boyfriend.

Original post by math42
I know a guy who's pretty average (imo) and got a girlfriend through Tinder. Not much harm in trying.
Ok thanks I might do. It depends.

It's not worth using dating sites full stop.
Why do you say this?
For the most part, that thing is mainly good for people looking for flings. I rarely hear about people who actually use the app for something real. Other than this, I also hear about people who just use it to boost their self esteem.

I wouldn't recommend using it for real intentions of finding romance tbh.

On another note, not everyone will think you're ''average'' looking.

Best of luck.
Yes but you need to be funny and not just open with “hey how are you?”
I'm thinking of using Tinder to find some dates and meet some girls. My standards aren't high in terms of looks. I just want to find a girl who I get along with and there is some chemistry between us.

But I'm only average looking at best. Will it be a waste of time if I'm only average looking?

I know online dating depends heavily on your looks and if you're not good looking as a male, you stand little chance (so I have heard). Regardless of how "good" your profile is or how much effort you put into your message to girls.

If any girl wants to see my photo/me on webcam and rate my looks (to determine if I would have any success on Tinder), please reply to this post and I will PM you.

@Dragon5555 made a valid point. The basis of Tinder is appearance. While girls in particular may not like to admit it, the app is for 'hooking up' and doesn't prioritize personality or anything long-term. It's merely looks and sexual attraction, so if you're average, as you say, you will find it harder to match with someone as opposed to a more attractive guy. Depending on your area, you're gonna have some competition, and it really depends on what you're looking for. I'm not here to judge you as a person; I wouldn't personally use it, but if you insist on doing it then you need a damn good profile picture to get that first match.
Original post by screamingicecube
For the most part, that thing is mainly good for people looking for flings. I rarely hear about people who actually use the app for something real. Other than this, I also hear about people who just use it to boost their self esteem.

Best of luck.

Dude I’ve been with my boyfriend almost 5 years from tinder. My friend met her fiancé on there a few months after I met my bf and they are getting married in September. One of my boyfriends mates has also just moved in with his girlfriend of 9 months he met on tinder. It happens more than you think!
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88

Yeah, this ^
Don't be cliche. Girls generally look for surprises and men who aren't predictable or seemingly desperate in their ways.
Dude I’ve been with my boyfriend almost 5 years from tinder. My friend met her fiancé on there a few months after I met my bf and they are getting married in September. One of my boyfriends mates has also just moved in with his girlfriend of 9 months he met on tinder. It happens more than you think!

But is it common? Were both of you looking for serious companions?
I don't think it never happens, but I do think it's a quite shallow app if I were to generalise it. But I guess if someone has nothing else to lose and has tried better online dating alternatives, go for it, if it's as easy as you make it to be. (Not sarcasm)
But is it common? Were both of you looking for serious companions?
I don't think it never happens, but I do think it's a quite shallow app if I were to generalise it. But I guess if someone has nothing else to lose and has tried better online dating alternatives, go for it, if it's as easy as you make it to be. (Not sarcasm)

I don’t think so particularly, I had just come out of a relationship and basically wanted people to chat to (god that sounds sad) - my boyfriend only had 2 pictures and neither of them were particularly clear but his “bio” bit was funny and I could see we had some similar musical tastes so we chatted and found we got on :smile: in my eyes it’s no different than meeting someone at a bar - you’re still making an initial assumption on looks. In fact if I had met my boyfriend at a bar I might not have even approached him because he’s not what my “type” was back then looks wise.

Best of luck.
I don't mind about flings. Flings or romance, I am up for anything. At the end of the day, I can't really be picky as an average looking male.

Thanks I will bear this in mind. But do you think if an average looking guy sent a funny or "different" message, a girl would prioritise him over a better looking guy? I think a funny message only works if you're good looking to begin with (might be wrong though).
Original post by Joel 96
@Dragon5555 made a valid point. The basis of Tinder is appearance. While girls in particular may not like to admit it, the app is for 'hooking up' and doesn't prioritize personality or anything long-term. It's merely looks and sexual attraction, so if you're average, as you say, you will find it harder to match with someone as opposed to a more attractive guy. Depending on your area, you're gonna have some competition, and it really depends on what you're looking for. I'm not here to judge you as a person; I wouldn't personally use it, but if you insist on doing it then you need a damn good profile picture to get that first match.
Do you think I'd find it hard to match even with the uglier looking girls?

On OkCupid and Plenty of Fish, I messaged girls who were good looking and girls who were ugly, and everything in between. Even the ugly girls barely replied to my messages.
I'd advise you not to use Tinder. Its full of shallow girls who only care about looks and not personality. The best thing you can do is go out and meet a girl irl.
Do you think I'd find it hard to match even with the uglier looking girls?

On OkCupid and Plenty of Fish, I messaged girls who were good looking and girls who were ugly, and everything in between. Even the ugly girls barely replied to my messages.

PoF is pretty bad for messaging.

Yes, you'd have more of a chance with ugly girls since most ugly people know they're ugly.

Latest

Trending

Trending