The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

As someone who was studying engineering at Exeter, I would say those entry criteria are reflective of the course (and my impression was that Maths and CS, which share the building, are similar).

Also Exeter doesn't take "underperforming students who haven't been able to achieve their potential", it takes upper middle class white students, many of whom were at good private schools and depsite all of this (and their weekly Oxbridge interview tutorials etc) still failed to get into a "better" university. There was an Etonian on my course, and I assure you he wasn't an exception (or exceptional in any way) to this.

Some of their departments are quite good - Physics, from experience, is quite well organised and reasonably rigorous, and I hear Law and History are well regarded (by students and people outside the university alike). Many however (including essentially all of CEMPS outside Physics and maybe Natural Sciences) are at best mediocre.

Incidentally the "reason" they're so overrated is due to very effective marketing campaigns by the university...
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Notoriety
IB guy meaning @Princepieman? Bit of a weasel move to mention him without tagging him.

The obvious rebuttal is that most of the RG unis are not that competitive, and there are many other similar offenders; no reason that Exeter need be singled out. The key question is what percentage of the intake will be on the reduced offer, and I would say not too many given the average UCAS points of the matriculating student is still quite high. Some STEM courses at Exeter are known to be doss, though.

I've blocked him and stayed away from this thread consciously because it's literally just bait.

Seems some pre-uni kids are a bit bored during the summer holidays.. Enough to make random threads, stalk people, postulate about how "elite" and better they are than others and "troll" by circulating someone's real name around (aka complete disregard of mutual respect).

Hopefully they grow out of it.. In the meantime, I have a society sponsorship negotiation email to tend do. Probably best to ignore the rubbish he posts Notoriety.
Reply 22
Original post by artful_lounger
As someone who was studying engineering at Exeter, I would say those entry criteria are reflective of the course (and my impression was that Maths and CS, which share the building, are similar).

Also Exeter doesn't take "underperforming students who haven't been able to achieve their potential", it takes upper middle class white students, many of whom were at good private schools and depsite all of this (and their weekly Oxbridge interview tutorials etc) still failed to get into a "better" university. There was an Etonian on my course, and I assure you he wasn't an exception (or exceptional in any way) to this.

Some of their departments are quite good - Physics, from experience, is quite well organised and reasonably rigorous, and I hear Law and History are well regarded (by students and people outside the university alike). Many however (including essentially all of CEMPS outside Physics and maybe Natural Sciences) are at best mediocre.

Incidentally the "reason" they're so overrated is due to very effective marketing campaigns by the university...

This is a perfect answer to my question. You haven't resorted to Ad hominem like many others on this thread and you have spoken from experience which makes your point credible.
Original post by multieman
https://vacancies.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/exeter-home/

Firstly, just take a look at the amount of courses, especially STEM, that they have in clearing. That's really not the primary issue however...

Computer science and Mathematics, the course the "ib guy" does has a clearing grade of BBC.

ALL engineering degrees at Exeter also have a clearing requirement of BBC which is absolutely absurd.

To put that into perspective London South Bank University has an entry requirement of BBB for their Mechanical engineering course.

Medical Imaging ( Radiography) requires CCC for clearing. This is the university that some people consider to be top 10? Absurd!

Considering your last thread was on why is Warwick so overrated, then can we expect this is one of a series and you will be going through each university you dont approve of?
Reply 24
Original post by 999tigger
Considering your last thread was on why is Warwick so overrated, then can we expect this is one of a series and you will be going through each university you dont approve of?

Did you actually read that post?
Did you actually read that post?

I await your next thread.
Your first statement is most likely true. Unfortunately, that says a lot about the difficulty of degrees at Exeter.

Hmm. Either that or excellent teaching standards? Who knows.
The main reason radiography now appears in clearing with dropped entry criteria is likely linked to the NHS bursary reform. Its not free to study in England anymore as of 2017, (still free in Wales, and up until recently Scotland) so they're likely making modifications to tempt students with low offers to get into what is still a pretty highly regarded university.

If you look (I assume you don't really care, but still) many radiography courses in England are in clearing this year for the above reason, it's not exactly a reflection on Exeter.
Original post by lledrith
The main reason radiography now appears in clearing with dropped entry criteria is likely linked to the NHS bursary reform. Its not free to study in England anymore as of 2017, (still free in Wales, and up until recently Scotland) so they're likely making modifications to tempt students with low offers to get into what is still a pretty highly regarded university.

If you look (I assume you don't really care, but still) many radiography courses in England are in clearing this year for the above reason, it's not exactly a reflection on Exeter.

i think the op is a lost hope when it comes to using critical thinking skills.
Thread backfire, classic.
Have you checked to see whether it specifies Penryn Campus or Streatham on the clearing website? Because I applied to do English at Streatham (offered AAB) and achieved A*A*B so I went on clearing just to see what was on offer.I was surprised to see my course on clearing for BBB-BBC, but I scrolled down further and saw it was Penryn, which is widely considered to be much worse than the main university (it's in Falmouth, Cornwall on a joint campus with Falmouth Uni). This wasn't specified anywhere on the top of the page and may not be obvious at first glance. I mean it could still be the main university but honestly I would be surprised. Me and two of my best mates are going and one got the same grades as me, the other got ABB, and everyone else I know who is going got higher than that.That being said, Exeter is known for being a good university for English (ranked between 4th and 10th on most tables) and it doesn't have much of a reputation for Maths/Physics etc. so it's possible. But I didn't see any offers of BBB-BBC for the main university but practically all of the usual offers for Penryn were in that region. When I looked at other clearing places there were none for English on the main campus whatsoever and the main campus offers over 10 different degrees with English involved in it (e.g. joint honours or with study/placement years). Hope this helps :smile:
exeter isnt for STEM. its more for humanties etc, like law, english, accounting

Latest

Trending

Trending