The Student Room Group

What's some meals you like to cook?

I like spaghetti aglio e olio a lot and it's really easy. It's a must that you add extra virgin oil at the end for the taste. I also love to add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

recipe - boil the spaghetti. when a few mins left, heat olive oil in another pan and fry 2 cloves sliced garlic (and chilli if you want). when the pasta is done, get rid of water and add the spaghetti to the garlic and swirl it around. when put it on your plate add extra virgin oil and swoosh around. and you're done.

anyone got a nice easy recipe to share? if it's more complicated that's ok too.
Really tasty and easy homemade pizza: use a tortilla wrap as the bass, then those squirty tubes of tomato purée, plus whatever toppings you want, then 10-15 minutes in the oven et voila!
Original post by SweetLeilani
Really tasty and easy homemade pizza: use a tortilla wrap as the bass, then those squirty tubes of tomato purée, plus whatever toppings you want, then 10-15 minutes in the oven et voila!

interesting idea
I know it has traditional breakfast ingredients but I would prefer this for dinner, as it would be pretty heavy in the morning. thanks for the recipe
Reply 4
A recipe on north African eggs I found on youtube:

Fry diced onions, diced pepper, garlic and chopped chilli in a pan, add diced tomato, add cumin seeds, make some holes in the mixture and crack eggs into it, cover the dish and cook the eggs on a low heat. Finish with spring onions.
*cracks knuckles* PREPARE YOURSELVES!!

Spoiler

no not really.. :lol: So here is my very own rainbow rice recipe:

-------------MY RAINBOW RICE RECIPE*--------------

You will need:

Four or more (variant on amount of people) ‘boil in the bag’ bags of basmati rice

Dark soy sauce

Pepper

Ginger (~half of a small sized one)

1 Red, 1 yellow and 1 green bell pepper

3 medium to small plastic tubs of lardons

Spring onions

Celery sticks

Carrots

Ham

Garlic

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

A large (I’m talking real large)wok or stir-fry pan

1) Right, so you have all the ingredients you will need (I think). Start with gathering 4 separate tubs for the vegetables.

2) Finely chop the carrots, celery, peppers and spring onions anywhere between 5mm and 1 cm^3. Put these into their designated bowls. (The amounts can differ as much as you want, just not too much spring onion 😊 )

3) Grate/cut the ginger and finely chop one separate piece of garlic, whatever you call them XD

4) Pour in the oil until it’s about the size of your palm to your fingers. Set the gas to medium heat.

5) Pour in them lardons!!!

6) Wait. Whilst waiting, prepare the rice into a large bowl and separate them by moving your hands, CLEAN HANDS, in a kneading motion. Set aside. Slice the ham into squares about 3cm^2 (You can tear it but slicing them looks tidier)

7) Once nearly cooked put them spring onions, ginger and garlic in. Up the heat a little bit.

8) You may have deducted or added some vegetables into this recipe which is just why I like it. So you start by adding in the hardest vegetable we have (carrots) and you move down the scale to the softest vegetable which is the bell peppers. Make sure each different vegetable is partially cooked before moving on to the next.

9) Dunk in the rice, stir it in. Sprinkle some pepper and lower the heat to about 1/3. Taste the food on your hand and add the soy sauce necessary to make it desirable (soy sauce is basically liquid salt).

10) Make any edits you want to make and add extra cooking time if you don’t think that it’s thoroughly cooked enough. Turn off the heat and enjoy whilst hot. VOILA!!! MY VERY OWN RECIPE!!!!!!

*If referring to this recipe YOU MUST credit me as ‘ShantelleLuis’
Reply 6
Instant noodles
Well We used to make somthing called Pasta and Sauce.

You cook the pasta drain it put in the sauce serve

Easy right
Original post by ShantelleLuis
*cracks knuckles* PREPARE YOURSELVES!!

Spoiler

no not really.. :lol: So here is my very own rainbow rice recipe:

thank you, this is similar to my egg fried rice recipe except I add a chopped up omlette to it.
Original post by petalsunrise
thank you, this is similar to my egg fried rice recipe except I add a chopped up omlette to it.
your welcome! I know a few other recipes but I think it will be better for me and for others to shut my trap :biggrin:
Chicken fried rice and vegetable soup :drool:
Original post by ShantelleLuis
your welcome! I know a few other recipes but I think it will be better for me and for others to shut my trap :biggrin:

no please share, I love finding out new recipes hence why I made this thread. I get the idea you're a pretty good cook. do you make jollof rice? I have my own version, not sure how authentic it is and also this really cool peanut butter stew.
Gambas Pil Pil. A nice and easy Spanish/Arabic influence tapas lunch snack, great with a French stick for dipping and served with a glass or two of some Rioja or Cava:

Fresh uncooked peeled prawns
A good dollop of Olive oil (two tablespoons)
Chopped bird-eye red chilli - as many as you dare! (wash your fingers and keep away from eyes, nose and todger. You have been warned. lol)
2 cloves garlic peeled and sliced or chopped
Salt to taste and some parsley for garnish.

Heat the oil in a frying pan until just smoking, add chilli, garlic and prawns.
Fry in hot oil until the prawns are pink - keep moving the ingredients around to stop then burning.
Serve in a earthenware tapas bowl sprinkled with crushed salt and topped with parsley for garnish. Make sure all of the oil gets served.

Prep time 5 mins,

Cooking time 5 mins.

Dunking the bread in the oil is the best!

A variation is to change the prawns for chopped chorizo sausage, add some chopped tomato, heat until piping hot and mix through with cooked spaghetti.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending