The Student Room Group

Defer uni place because of acne???

Hi

I’m starting uni in mid September (hopefully) but I have really bad acne and can’t even imagine leaving the house.

I start roaccutane soon but will only be on it a month before starting uni which isn’t enough time to significantly reduce my acne. Lots of peoples acne gets worse within a month of roaccutane but for some it’s after and that’s really worrying.

So should I just defer my uni place and go when my skin is clear and I’m much more confident?? I really don’t want to defer but, again, I can’t even leave the house right now. 😭

*** my acne is actually really bad that I feel sorry that people have to look at me!
(edited 5 years ago)
Get a grip - don't let your acne control your life. It's not as bad to other people as it seems to you, and holding yourself with confidence is what people notice most.
You will regret deferring if you do. Your skin will hopefully start to get better quickly - by Christmas it should be pretty much clear, and what you are going to do with yourself then? You can't just sit in the house for a year.
Reply 3
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
You will regret deferring if you do. Your skin will hopefully start to get better quickly - by Christmas it should be pretty much clear, and what you are going to do with yourself then? You can't just sit in the house for a year.

Lol tru I will be sitting in my house for a year. But isn’t freshers and the start of the year when people make friends? I’m probably more worried that by Christmas time I’ll just be by myself?? I dunno
Most people are too concerned with their own lives to pay serious attention to others. Any perceptions you're worried about are purely superficial. While you're in public feeling anxious and that all eyes are judging you, everyone else is too preoccupied with thinking what they should eat for dinner, if they'll be late for their appointments or picking their kids up or if they need to walk the dog and do whatever other tasks. Turn the tables for a minute and look at it from your perspective, when you're out in public do you really care about other people for any longer than the 5-10 seconds that you see them?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Hiasgul
Lol tru I will be sitting in my house for a year. But isn’t freshers and the start of the year when people make friends? I’m probably more worried that by Christmas time I’ll just be by myself?? I dunno

If people avoid making friends with you because of acne then you don’t want to be friends with them without acne. I know how bad acne can get for some people but If you defer, and it clears up but comes back just before your course starts again what will you do? I wouldn’t defer. And I guess there will be people in the same position as you with skin conditions who won’t care how bad it is, and as you said your medication will help reduced it throughout the next couple of months.
Original post by Hiasgul
Hi

I’m starting uni in mid September (hopefully) but I have really bad acne and can’t even imagine leaving the house.

I start roaccutane soon but will only be on it a month before starting uni which isn’t enough time to significantly reduce my acne. Lots of peoples acne gets worse within a month of roaccutane but for some it’s after and that’s really worrying.

So should I just defer my uni place and go when my skin is clear and I’m much more confident?? I really don’t want to defer but, again, I can’t even leave the house right now. 😭

*** my acne is actually really bad that I feel sorry that people have to look at me!

Don’t be ridiculous. Being confident is something you can change this summer before university. Getting in is a privilege that others dont have the opportunity of experiencing - so take full advantage of your education and go for it. No one will care that you have acne; as long as you’ve got a welcoming personality, you’re good to go! You’re beautiful the way you are, and you’re on the road to acne recovery anyway :smile:
Ive acne problems for about 6 months and was self conscience about it, but most people don’t really care and they still remain friendly with me!
(edited 5 years ago)
If you go, you definitely won't be the only person with acne! It's very normal to have acne and you shouldn't let it control your life. I have had family members who had/have acne and honestly I didn't notice it when with them. I think they themselves think about it much more than anyone else actually does.
If you do defer though, just make sure you don't spend the year sitting inside your house - get a part time job or do some short courses in subjects that interest you. Make use of the year.
Original post by AnonyNoddy
Most people are too concerned with their own lives to pay serious attention to others. Any perceptions you're worried about are purely superficial. While you're in public feeling anxious and that all eyes are judging you, everyone else is too preoccupied with thinking what they should eat for dinner, if they'll be late for their appointments or picking their kids up or if they need to walk the dog and do whatever other tasks. Turn the tables for a minute and look at it from your perspective, when you're out in public do you really care about other people for any longer than the 5-10 seconds that you see them?

This is so damn true. So many people have their own problems to focus on and at uni everyone has coursework and exams to deal with so I doubt they will judge the OP
You can't let your acne control you life. Get out there and face what you have to do.
Original post by Hiasgul

People are not going to refuse to make friends with you because you have acne. I had bad skin at uni (in fact I'm 27 and still had bad skin until I started on the pill this year) and I had very little confidence and I still came out of it with lots of friends.

Also.. I can't say this for sure because I have never seen your face, but I bet your acne isn't as bad as you see it yourself. Of course, it must be fairly bad to be going on roaccutane, but even so it probably doesn't make people think "oh look at her skin".

You will make friends, you will have a great time - and your new friends will be able to support you through your treatment, too!
Original post by Hiasgul
Hi

Don’t defer your uni place because of acne. If someone doesn’t want to talk to you because of it, then they’re not worth your time anyway. You haven’t done anything wrong.
1st world problems
It’s your future, and if you want to go to uni but have acne, just go. It’s for you and no one else. It doesn’t matter what people think of your looks. It’s just acne, and yes you don’t feel very confident but it’s only a few years and you could have worse things.
Only someone who has suffered bad acne can truly appreciate how you feel.

Deferring your entry by 1 year is not the end of the world after all you will be working for 40 years at least.

However if you should do so make a plan to use your year out doing voluntary work or something to your gain.

This way you will get the best out of your university experience.
As long as you are on the dermatology system, you can switch hospitals from the new GP writing a letter.

Quick Reply

Latest